1895 Win Carry Handle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

1895 Win Carry Handle

Post by BenT »

Well I got the fancy carry handle installed on the 1895.

It was already tapped for the climbing Lyman sight. So I modified a Weaver 3B side mount for a Win 94. The hard part was finding #11 by 36 TPI screws. Since they were unattainable I had the gunsmith who was bluing a gun for me make up 5 screws. He made them a inch long so I could cut to fit. I am not sure what the cost was because it was just in the final bill when I picked up the gun from bluing. He is Amish so not much of and itemized bill. Cash only. I used the side mount on 71 Win and it shoots pretty natural for me.

I had a 220 grain speer load set up but since deer are not allowed to own body armor in Wisconsin, I thought I would go with a lighter bullet. They are a bunch of jay walkers. They don't cross at the deer crossing signs thus they are all felons and felons are not allow to own body armor. So I decided to go with the 200 grain interlock because that seems to be the bullet of choice for the 358 Win and that is the velocities that I have this 35 Winchester running with Varget.

I added a cannelure in the bullet at the correct spot. I got it dialed in. I am always amazed on how accurate this 35 Win is. It is ready for deer season.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 Win Carry Handle

Post by ollogger »

Jeepers Ben you really got my attention tonight. two really nice guns!! Thanks for the posts

Brad
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have another 1895 in 30-40 Krag that needs a new stock because it was cut down. That is this winters project and it with get the same side mount treatment. The 1895 receiver is taller than the 1894 so you need to file metal off the side mount. The back side protrudes over the top of the receiver. I want to get a Vertical mill jig for my mini lathe. It would make it easier and more consistent.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BenT wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:39 pm I have another 1895 in 30-40 Krag that needs a new stock because it was cut down. That is this winters project and it with get the same side mount treatment. The 1895 receiver is taller than the 1894 so you need to file metal off the side mount. The back side protrudes over the top of the receiver. I want to get a Vertical mill jig for my mini lathe. It would make it easier and more consistent.
I "may" have an original '95 buttstock in nice condition...
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Is the scope offset, like many Win 94 mounts are?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yes it is a side mount scope. It has to be for the top eject.