Winchester 94 loading gate issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
murphhprum

Winchester 94 loading gate issues

Post by murphhprum »

I just received a Winchester 94 in a trade. I’m new to lever guns but I noticed that the loading gate was sticking out from the receiver. When I load a round or two the round will pop out and lodge itself behind the loading gate and the gate protrudes quite a bit from the receiver. I disassembled and re assembled making sure that the screw for the loading gate was tight, same issue. Any info would help, I have linked the pictures. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/fT10CWo
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 94 loading gate issues

Post by Sarge »

That loading gate is protruding way too much. I'd order a new OEM gate from whoever has them available.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks like something is missing to me.

By the receiver it is a post 64 one like mine.
Winchester lost the plot after 1964 and cheapened several parts..
They still shoot good though.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
murphhprum

Post by murphhprum »

Unfortunately I’m in Canada and parts are hard to come by but I’ll search around and hopefully find something. I was hoping it was something stupid that I could tweak.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It could well be fixable.
In the image of mine below you can see how the thin plate is riveted or pressed onto the spine at the back.
Has yours come lose?
IMG_20220907_175303.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You'll want part number U349991990, SPRING COVER for a .30-30. It can be a little tricky to get the spring cover to sit just right while you tighten the screw. The forward edge of the gate needs to be fully inside the receiver and tightened to within a thousandths of its life! Or, if you want a more technical term... use the German spec... "Guten-tite!" It takes quite a bit of pressure against the spring to keep the gate in position as it's tightened. (Flattened completely, in my experience).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
murphhprum

Post by murphhprum »

I appreciate everyone’s help. I’ll disassemble and reassemble again making sure it’s pressed in properly against the receiver and tight. If that doesn’t work I’ll look for a new gate. I’ll take a picture of the gate once disassembled.
murphhprum

Post by murphhprum »

I figured it out! When I pulled it apart the second time I noticed a small piece that must have been from an old loading gate. Once I removed it and put it back together everything is as it should be. Thanks again everyone for their help!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

murphhprum wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:40 pmI figured it out! When I pulled it apart the second time I noticed a small piece that must have been from an old loading gate. Once I removed it and put it back together everything is as it should be. Thanks again everyone for their help!
Congrats, Enjoy!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!