ccw

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

ccw

Post by rossim92 »

Well fella's. heading to take my ccw class in md this coming sunday. it's a two part course, first part is to watch three one hour videos, then take two multiple choice tests. this part is done online. second part is live instruction and three live firing tests with a glock in .22 lr. this just shows that you can safely load, shoot, and unload a handgun safely. you need to mak a minimun of points on target at three different distances. I hope i pass, i have a tendency to shoot left of center a bit.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JimT
Shootist

Re: ccw

Post by JimT »

Don't overthink it.
Relax .. enjoy the shooting .. you will do well.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You’re good. Have fun and watch out for the other students 😳. I’ve heard some stories about muzzle discipline from buddies who are instructors.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Left of center?

Check where your finger is on the trigger. You may be contacting it with the center of the 'pad'.

Get it farther in where the trigger is right in the little 'crease' on the first joint.

Experiment with that and see how it works.

Report back.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

wecsoger wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 am Left of center?

Check where your finger is on the trigger. You may be contacting it with the center of the 'pad'.

Get it farther in where the trigger is right in the little 'crease' on the first joint.

Experiment with that and see how it works.

Report back.
thanks for info, now i know what i'm doing wrong with my better half. :oops:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:32 am You’re good. Have fun and watch out for the other students 😳. I’ve heard some stories about muzzle discipline from buddies who are instructors.
Was going to say the same thing. It's great to see so many new people getting into shooting. But with that comes a lot of people who just don't know and/or have not internalized basic firearm safety. I spend a ton of time on that with students. It is never time ill-spent! :shock:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pretty sure as a member of this forum you’ll be fine. You don’t look at this as something to take lightly, you actually actually feel like you have a little skin in the game

I have participated as an instructor in classes where well-meaning guys just bring their girlfriends and their harem of other girl friends and it is a total donkey show
----- Doug
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

well I passed! :D scored 225 out of 250. being hard of hearing made it hard to follow instructions with my back turned and wearing earmuffs.. I know the instructor. i looked at him and he would hold up how many fingers were the the number of shots to do the next rd. He owns PTP in md, but travels to different areas if demand deems so. , If you are interested in his class, check him out at ptp.com. easy going fella, but serious on safety.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CONGRATULATIONS! I knew you would do well.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

rossim92 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:52 am i have a tendency to shoot left of center a bit.
That's caused by "too much leftwards pressure on the trigger" (if a righty); you can counteract that by consciously pulling straight back or by adding a little extra thumb pressure on the grip.

The attached practice target will help you out. :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last CHL class I took, I shot one handed and left at that. I was beaten into being a right hander as a kid. I got a very decent score, but I was actually trying to not make the rest of the class feel bad. One woman had just bought her gun and she knew nothing about it. The instructor, a retired Sheriff's Deputy helped her. She did alright after she understood how her new gun worked. One man brought a semiauto with all the bells and whistles. It probably cost what all the rest of ours did combined. He needed to spend some time on the fundamentals. My compact Walther&Wesson model 99 was more than accurate enough. Walther upper and S&W lower. Came that way. For a short while those two collaborated on it.
It you are a decent shot, you are going to pass. The classes are not designed around competition level shooters.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My CHL and Driver's License both expire this year.

It looks like the state will let me renew my CHL on line again. But I have to show up in person for my Driver's License. Pain in the rear because the earliest appointment I could get was three weeks out. I used to just walk in. But those days are over.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 am Last CHL class I took, I shot one handed and left at that. I was beaten into being a right hander as a kid. I got a very decent score, but I was actually trying to not make the rest of the class feel bad. One woman had just bought her gun and she knew nothing about it. The instructor, a retired Sheriff's Deputy helped her. She did alright after she understood how her new gun worked. One man brought a semiauto with all the bells and whistles. It probably cost what all the rest of ours did combined. He needed to spend some time on the fundamentals. My compact Walther&Wesson model 99 was more than accurate enough. Walther upper and S&W lower. Came that way. For a short while those two collaborated on it.
It you are a decent shot, you are going to pass. The classes are not designed around competition level shooters.
+1 the class instructor does not fail you. you fail yourself. his job is too teach you the basics of gun control and a bit on state law on ccw. you apply all that to you and the gun when you shoot the target. He was very adamant on making sure pistols only had live ammo when you stand in front of the target, not anywhere else. we did not have any pistols or incidents like alec baldwin did.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

If Baldwin had spent some of the time he used making anti-gun commercials and instead taken an NRA Class he would never had the "accident" .....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:31 pm If Baldwin had spent some of the time he used making anti-gun commercials and instead taken an NRA Class he would never had the "accident" .....
BINGO!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm
JimT wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:31 pmIf Baldwin had spent some of the time he used making anti-gun commercials and instead taken an NRA Class he would never had the "accident" .....
BINGO!
I'm not so certain... he certainly exhibits a special aptitude for a particular kind of STUPID!

My CHL expired this year, but with online renewal, it was painless... especially since my last background check was fairly recently and sufficed for my renewal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The woman who Baldwin killed was reported to be writing a tell all on pedophiles in Hollywood. She had to be stopped.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Well, I just put in may application to state police last night for my ccw permit, I had to wait till I started a new job to put it in. fingerprints live scan is only good for thirty days then they kick em out before you need to redo em. pretty basic straight forward on filling in app. only biggie the photo had to be in jped format, not pdf. rest of documents could be in pdf. will find out in about thirty days if i passed it all. :roll:
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot