Pistol cartridge carbines and twist rate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Pistol cartridge carbines and twist rate

Post by CraigC »

I've got two 1-38" Marlins and they shoot well with bullets up to 300gr but I always wanted something with a faster twist for heavy bullets. My handloads specific to the Super Redhawk and custom oversized six-shot Bisley .44Mag get a 330gr to 1450fps and a 355gr to 1350fps and I'd love to try them out of a rifle. I heard that the new Taylor's 1892's had proper 1-20" twist rates. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if Rossi is still doing 1-30".
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Pistol cartridge carbines and twist rate

Post by Bearskinner »

I’ve got a 500LINEBAUGH built on an 1895 Marlin with a 1/20 twist. It’s great for the 525 grainers. A great combo to the revolvers
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I have a Taylor's 92 Alaskan take down and it indeed a 20" twist. It will take heavier bullets. The issue (as stock anyway) is the OAL of cartridge. Most heavy pistol loads take advantage of longer cylinders than SAAMI OAL specs. A good gun mechanic may be able to lengthen things but there is always a limit. I bought a box of Buffalo Bore 340gr and they failed to function by a significant margin. Whether they can be made to, I don't know and I have no interest in doing so.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The box-magazine Ruger 96/44 leverguns 'look funny' (kind of like those fugly Savage-99's :wink: ) but have a proper 1:20 twist rate. I've shot 300 grain bullets from mine, although from a practical standpoint I mostly stick with 240 or 265 grain bullets because the deer don't seem to care. I've even shot 180 grain bullets with equal success, but all I really hunt is whitetail, though I might plug a feral dog or cat if there is need.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I respectfully have to go against my teacher and mentor Mic McPherson here. I prefer a faster twist rate, he likes the slowest that can be obtained and still work. There are good reasons for that as well. The Rossi's with their 1:30 work pretty well. I am not sure why Big Horn Amory uses 1:32 for their 460 Magnum guns. I would prefer a faster twist in those guns myself as I run heavy for caliber bullets. And I would have to pay so much more for a faster twist with them, not willing to do that. I have found that the Greenhill Formula works very well in most cases. There are other modified formulas that work even better when you need it at higher velocities, so not excluding them. But by and large, the Greenhill Formula works very well. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Yes Rossis are still 1:30 in all calibres. Id personally love a faster twist on 1892's, just for slow loads with heavy bullets. Regards Taylors are they Italian made chiappas? I had a lot of problems with a chiappa, and the LGS I talked to said they dont even like stocking them. I remember also looking at a chiappa spencer in 56-50, cascity has a forum dedicated to them including a bunch of threads on how to fix all of the out of the box issues. :? .. I assume if taylors is reselling them they make sure good ones go out though.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've gotten along real well with 325 grain/1550 fps loads in 45 Colt Rossis with 1:30 barrels; and they fed them fine without tweaking the carrier or guides.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I'm not 100% sure about Taylor's but I think they are Chiappas. I was soured on them when their `76's came out and not only did they have function issues but their wood grain was painted on. Still, if they have a faster twist, it may be worth it. Although I also have to weigh the cost of a rifle against a new barrel. Especially if it has to be tuned anyway. It would probably be cheaper to rebarrel a new Rossi than to buy the Taylor's Alaskan. They ain't cheap, about $1600 if I remember right. I don't even see any on Gunbroker now. The new Rossi's are fairly available in .44Mag and I'd love a 20" carbine. To be honest, I'd rather have the blued carbine with a new barrel than the Alaskan.

Yep, the Rugers do have the faster twist but I think it was Gunblast that showed the magazine is the limiting factor. They would feed a 320gr but that's it.

I'm going to talk to Jack Huntington and see if he's worked on the 92's. I know he's built Marlin 1894's in .500JRH.

I really want a proper rifle companion to this sixgun. It's the Bisley I had Jack build for 50,000psi handloads.

CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Okay, I noticed that the Taylor's 1892 looks just like the Dixie Gun Works version and they're both made by Chiappa. The DGW listing says they're 1-16" twist. They're also drilled & tapped for a tang sight and I don't see a safety. So it very well could be that all the newer Chiappa 1892's have the pistol twist rate. I just don't see any .44's yet. I'm only 3hrs from DGW and overdue for a visit, I may go look.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... RBINE+45LC
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

But I did find a Chiappa branded .44.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/934797749