Revolvers from the Philippines

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Revolvers from the Philippines

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I know the Armscor/Rock Island 1911s get pretty good marks for value and ruggedness, but I have always thought their revolvers were very homely. But maybe I need to give them a chance.
Anyone here mess with their .38 Specials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQAH4n0_5g
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Revolvers from the Philippines

Post by Sarge »

I've handled a couple Bill, but haven't shot one. The two-inch 38 RIA's I've looked at appeared to be better finished than the 4"/rubber gripped one. There's enough Colt DNA in the design to make them likeable and they obviously shoot OK to 15 yards. If small pistol primers weren't scarce/insanely priced, I'd be tempted to wring out the 2" RIA just because.

if RIA would finish these a little better, they'd sell a lot better. I bet an alloy framed version in 22LR with an 8-9 shot cylinder would sell really well.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Sarge. They do look pretty crude in the finish department.
That internet hot dog James Reeves likes them for the value.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWR43NARZY8
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I ever buy a RIA while in the PI it'll be a plain old 1911 in 45 ACP .

They also have shotguns of sorts over there . I'm kinda a shotgun snob so I wasn't overly impressed .

I'll give RIA/Armsco one thing , they have several shooting ranges in the country and about half are indoor air conditioned . I like them just fine , but on the other hand a little difficult for shooting clay targets .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm a bit selective on my revolvers, and always prefer S&W and then just the 1980's or earlier versions. But I'd never want to leave one under the seat or in the glovebox if I couldn't take it with me. These are cheap enough and appear to be good enough to take along where I wouldn't take a nice S&W, or where I'd have to leave a S&W in the vehicle.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I bought a double-stack Rock Island Armory 1911 used at a pawn shop a ways back and it functioned flawlessly. Mostly I got it as a backup/spare for my Para Ordnance p14. It was steel framed versus the alloy of the Para, so of course was heavier, and I put it to use with a MechTech 'upper' that turns in a 1911 into a carbine, meeting all the legal requirements. Combined with the 20 round magazines, it was a nice way to have a 45 ACP carbine that was quite a bit lighter than the Thompson at about a fifth the cost.

Later on, I bought my son a single stack 1911 from Rock Island Armory, and unlike my Para Ordnance it reminded me of the AMT, and Colt 1911 that I had bought in the past in that feeding at first was not reliable. Wanting to hasten the process, I bubba-smithed a 'polishing' job, and made it even LESS reliable... :oops: since the local gunsmith who could work magic with a 1911 had passed away, I gave in and sent it back to the factory with a letter of apology, admitting that I really screwed it up by trying to fix it myself. Within 2 weeks they shipped out a repaired 1911 that fed Remington Golden Sabre hollow points perfectly; 500 consecutive shots without a failure, at which point we deemed it reliable for concealed carry.

So my impression of Rock Island Armory as a company is very good. The only products I have dealt with are their 1911s, but generally quality and integrity tend to cross product lines within the same company.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, fellas, I should have a first-hand report before too long, as I went ahead on a Model 206. 8)