Unmolested 1886 hammer...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Unmolested 1886 hammer...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Where can I find one NOS or otherwise?

Looking for one without the safety cut and WITH half-cock notch.

Ultimately Cool if I could find one in SS...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Unmolested 1886 hammer...

Post by Naphtali »

Stainless steel I can't give sources. But what you want should be at Midwest Gun Works http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant ... de=C-018-4, either of these parts numbers: P070150 (Hammer M-1886 & M-1886 Carbine); or P070750 (Hammer M-71). The Browning rifles omit tang safeties and rebounding hammers.

Close to stainless steel in color might be polished hard chrome. But there might be a problem getting penetration through hammer's pivot hole. Electroless nickel will completely cover the hammer, but El Nick has a different hue from most 400 series stainless steels.

Hope this helps.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Although not available in SS, you can get a Browning 1886 hammer from Midwest Gun Works. The part number is P070150.
The Browning hammer is the one on the left in this photo. There is a true half cock notch and no rebounding feature.

The end result is much cleaner, too. The hammer rests on the firing pin, as the design intended, unless it is placed in the half cock notch.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thanks guys. The only reason to look for Stainless was because my 86 is a matte blue (almost parkerized look) and a shiny blue would look a little weirder than a matte stainless.

But I can always get a plain blue hammer parkerized/matte blued.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Are you looking for one for the original Winchester 1886s with flat mainspring or the newer type with coil mainspring.?

Right now we’re making the original style hammers (stirup, flat mainspring) in either blue or CCH finish. These are identical to the original 86 hammers, with the fleur-de-lis type checkering pattern.

Mike Hunter
www.Hunterrestorations.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Coil type. I'm having new Half-cock/no rebounding/safety guts put into a 2000 Winny.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!