Does anyone load heavy bullets in .44 Russian?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Does anyone load heavy bullets in .44 Russian?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

https://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=43

Picked up a 250-count box of these recently. I was impressed with the hollow point cavity! Thought I would give them a try in the .44 Russian cartridge, as well as .44 Special. Does anyone load any bullets this heavy in the .44 Russian? If you do, do you have a recipe you have found to be accurate?

Thanks,

Jay
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Does anyone load heavy bullets in .44 Russian?

Post by 44shooter »

Those bullets look nice. They look lever friendly too. No I don’t have the experience but another nine grains in a lead bullet should be feasible in the Russian. Could always try Trail Boss just below the bullet base. Probably low velocity though
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Kid....I usually use a 250 Keith in my rare Colt SAA 44 Russian......I don't shoot it often but I just use a light charge of a Bullseye or Unique.....a suggested starting load in the Lyman manual.....whatever pushes it around 700 fps....
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks for the link. I like the 130gr HP in .357 diameter. I have a Lyman book where the 44Magnum is the "newest-ist" cartridge shown. It has a 44 Russian load with 250gr with 6.0 Unique for 800fps. It is a MAX load so reduce accordingly, usually 10%.....
Bullseye is listed as 3.0grs for 630fps..... as always YMMV todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I haven't loaded for .44 Russian yet, since my Cimarron/ Uberti clone will chamber .44 Special.
Here is some Accurate Arms data for a starting point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks fellas. I should have mentioned, I have a 1865 Spencer reproduction in .44 Russian. Hoping these work in it. Will let you now! :D
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Wouldn't it be cool to have a reproduction Henry in a short cartridge like that? Something closer to the .44 Henry Flat?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:32 pm Wouldn't it be cool to have a reproduction Henry in a short cartridge like that? Something closer to the .44 Henry Flat?
Agreed. I always thought a Henry in .44 Colt would be the cat's meow. Nice short cartridge, but a centerfire versus the .44 Henry rimfire. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, I also got a box of the 255-grain LRN-FP hollow point in .45 caliber. Loaded up a batch of .45 Auto Rim today. Looking forward to see how they perform in my 1917 Colt.

For some reason I can't get into jbox to add photos, and my old photos aren't working. I'll post a picture of the loaded .45 Auto Rim when I can get back into jbox.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:12 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:32 pm Wouldn't it be cool to have a reproduction Henry in a short cartridge like that? Something closer to the .44 Henry Flat?
Agreed. I always thought a Henry in .44 Colt would be the cat's meow. Nice short cartridge, but a centerfire versus the .44 Henry rimfire. :D
I forgot - the .44 Russian is even shorter than the .44 Colt (modern one, anyway!).