Casting On A Cold Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Casting On A Cold Day

Post by JimT »

Been cold the last few days .. warmed up to 36 today which is still cold to me so I decided to cast a few bullets. Been a year or so since I went on a casting binge and cast several hundred pounds of 9mm, 38, .357, 41, 44, 45 (ACP and Colt) and 480 bullets. I seem to shoot a lot of the 38/357 bullets so I got out my Lyman 4-cavity mold #358665 that throws a 160 gr. round-nose flat point bullet. These feed nice in the levergun and are really accurate in my sixgun. My Lyman manual says they are 158 gr. out of linotype but I don't cast them that hard. Mine weigh a bit over 160 grains. I shoot them with everything from 3 gr. of Bullseye in the 38 Special to 14.5 gr. of 2400 in the .357 Magnum. The nose flat is about like the Keith SWC and works like it in game. Anyway, it was a pleasant afternoon.
IMG_3116.JPG
IMG_3119.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Casting On A Cold Day

Post by GunnyMack »

Good times ! I need to get my pot going and try that 235gr 375 mold I acquired, be a fun plinker for the H&H .
Just curious Jim, what 41 do you cast?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:42 pm Good times ! I need to get my pot going and try that 235gr 375 mold I acquired, be a fun plinker for the H&H .
Just curious Jim, what 41 do you cast?
NEI 230 gr. flat nose ..
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah, nice looking bullets! I have not had the chance to see anything from NEI, have to check them out. I have an old Lyman 210( iirc) but have been thinking about a heavier bullet, would like a WNFP but its just not that high on my list :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:09 pm Ah, nice looking bullets! I have not had the chance to see anything from NEI, have to check them out. I have an old Lyman 210( iirc) but have been thinking about a heavier bullet, would like a WNFP but its just not that high on my list :D
I tried WNFP in 45 and 454 and gave up on them. They are ok for short range stuff but in those days I was shooting 300 yards as close and out to 800 yards. The WFN bullets just were not stable for long range. At game ranges they were devastating. I shot a Whitetail Deer at about 40 yards. The exit wound in the off shoulder was so large you could lay a golf ball in it and not come close to the edges.

The NEI mold is just about perfect for game and for long range for me. It was a good pairing of both worlds.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that answers my questions Jim. I'm leaning for a game bullet, ill look at NEI for sure. Thanks!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jim that is so interesting to me, something I wish I'd gotten into a long time ago. I've always had a fascination-interest in the 38-55, and wanted to get into casting for one. But at my age and limited income, I drew the line and backed out on both. I've got enough to keep me busy in all the rifles I already got. Still wish I had a long time ago!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Need to fire up the melting pot myself. Did a boatload of casting last winter, but none thus far this winter. You're inspiring me Jim! :D
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I've been casting for handguns since about 1967 and for rifles from 1973. I do believe that one could take one mold for one rifle and explore for a lifetime all the possibilities contained therein. It is a fascinating hobby! Which reminds me, I need to cast up some 359318 HP for my BLR .358. Thanks for the nudge. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye gawd, bit that's a swift kick in the rear... I gotta a bunch of casting to catch up on! All my inventories are low! But... I think I'll wait for warmer weather... :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!