Ruger No. 1 Scope Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Ruger No. 1 Scope Issues

Post by Mainehunter »

Just sent out my Ruger No. 1 receiver to be build up into a stalking rifle for dark timber hunting. Just started to do some research on scopes and I'm reading most guys having issues with not enough eye relief because the top rib of the scope mount is much more forward positioned. Many years ago, I did have a No. 1 in 22-250 with a scope but don't recall having any issues BUT my eyes have changed since then. If you have a No. 1, would like to know your thoughts on this and what was your solution. Thanks!

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger No. 1 Scope Issues

Post by GunnyMack »

Ruger made offset rings to solve this. I have a 1B in 218( got it oooh so cheap I couldn't pass it up) and I had a 15x weaver scope to put on it. Only problem was not enough tube to get it to mount correctly. I bought a set of the offset rings and that solved the problem.

What caliber are you doing?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here ,
20220216_182530.jpg
I want to say I got the rings from brownells???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack, I'm having it chambered for 35 Whelen. I have read about the offset rings. A few have said they worked but some have said it only gave 1/2" of offset. With that setup, are you having any issues of loading or unloading of brass?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Different strokes for different folks , all I can say is I’ve owned close to forty Ruger #1’s and I never had a problem with scope eye relief . And that was everything from 204/22 Hornet up to 458 Win Mag . On both Swifts and the 22-250AI I had Leupold 6.5-20x scopes with no issue .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It certainly can be an issue. Look at the eye relief specs before you buy a scope. Of all my couple dozen scopes the longest eye relief is in my Leupold 1-4x20. I mounted it on my No.3 375 Winchester but still had to stretch to get a full field of view. Offset rings would have got it about right, but I shortened the stock instead when I added a recoil pad.
NRA Life Member
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No I can't say there is an issue for loading or unloading, even with the tiny BEE cases. 35 Whelen should be simple due to the size of the case. Granted the offset ring wasn't a perfect fix for eye relief but in this case I'm loading and waiting for groundhogs, not trying to get off a snap shot at a deer or moose.
Are you having a new barrel installed or reboring it? If a new barrel, maybe try to figure out a picatinny rail? That would certainly cure eye relief.

Next #1 I want is a 9.3x74R.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Before you decide, look at what Warne may have for the Ruger? I got an old original Tikka made in 75, and not to long afterwards Sako bought them, changed things. I had same issue when I mounted a scope on it, using Weaver, Leopold rings and bases, and I didn't want a solid rail. Warne Maxima all steel rings and bases, gave me more adjustment back, solved the problem. They may have what you're looking for?
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:51 am No I can't say there is an issue for loading or unloading, even with the tiny BEE cases. 35 Whelen should be simple due to the size of the case. Granted the offset ring wasn't a perfect fix for eye relief but in this case I'm loading and waiting for groundhogs, not trying to get off a snap shot at a deer or moose.
Are you having a new barrel installed or reboring it? If a new barrel, maybe try to figure out a picatinny rail? That would certainly cure eye relief.

Next #1 I want is a 9.3x74R.
The receiver has never been barreled, stocked or blued. It was a special run receivers for the single shot association back in the early 80's I think. I posted the receiver about a year ago. I can ask the gunsmith his thoughts on installing a different mount but I have a feeling he will not go with the idea since he is building it as an English stalking rifle and it might not look right. I'll ask anyways.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah its in the white! Ought to be a cool project!
Brownells used to have in the white #1 actions. Should have bought a couple...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

If you are using a Ruger No.1 quarter rib your options are to use offset rings or use one of the older scopes that have a longer body. If you like low fixed power scopes I believe Leupold made a fixed 3X with a longer body. It may still be available from their custom shop.

Since it’s a custom some gunsmiths make a new quarter rib where the rear scope mount is located over the receiver ring. This option is generally pretty expensive but you might find a custom shop that’s made a run of them that require relatively minor fitting. They do look very neat especially when they incorporate a nice rear sight. That would be very much in keeping with your English style stalking rifle.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Leupold's custom shop is "closed" for good. I've already checked. I can do offset rings, but they only make them in 1". I have a nice Lepold VX-6 1x6 that I would love to put on but that's a 30mm tube. I'm not too crazy on long tube scopes on any of my hunting rigs. I don't still hunt and I'm pretty much moving in the woods so the short tube scopes really pays off. I haven't reached out to the gunsmith yet to see if there are other options for the mount.

Mainehunter
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Won't know until you know?

Room to spare on the one. The scope it wore for years with a 40mm objective lens was fine without the setback rings as well.

This one did need em.

Slow is just slow.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

I also hunt the Maine timber and really like the pistol red dots when mounted on a rifle. They add only a couple ounces. You don't have to worry about eye relief, scope cuts, and can be mounted either close to the eye or further down the gun. They are extremely fast and easier to keep clear in the snow. I have rifles that I have had both scopes and red dots on and at my 100 yard range their is no difference in accuracy off the bench. I just shoot them better offhand which is the main reason I use them. A Ruger No. 1 in 35 Whelen with a red dot would be a very clean looking, easy carrying and effective Maine deer rifle. To each our own though but another option.....
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

20220116_132554.jpg
Here is my 88 with a Holosun 509T with some other guns from a range day in January.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

My all-weather hunting rig is a Ruger SS Mini-30 and wears a Sig Sauer Romeo 5. Very quick and fast handling! I was crossing a stream one day, lost my balance and dropped the Mini in the deepest part of the stream and couldn't retrieve it. I did get it back but it wasn't till the next day. I just blew out the water and gunk with an air compressor. Checked the chamber and barrel for obstruction, fired a few shots on target and all was good! :D
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

For inspiration on an alternative quarter rib, google James R Anderson Ruger No.1. In a custom No.1 he built he features a custom quarter rib where the rear scope base sits over the receiver ring. The quarter rib is designed to accept Talley QD scope mounts.

At one time Dakota supplied semi finished quarter ribs to suit 4 Shilen barrel profiles, but of course Dakota no longer exist.