A Different Way To Load The .44 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

A Different Way To Load The .44 Special

Post by JimT »

I take no credit for this loading method. My Dad started using it before WWII when components were hard to get. In the 1960's he started experimenting with it again, making his own molds and eventually patented them. In the early 1960's he was written about in what passed for gun magazines and he sold a number of them around the country.

After shooting my USFA .44 Special for some years I "rediscovered" some of the .44 bullets and started to play with them a little. They make fun plinking loads as well as great loads for practicing drawing and hitting a target, shooting moving targets and all that sort of fun. The cases can be loaded indefinitely. Using lighter loads and no crimp, the do not wear out or develop cracks. Dad had one case he had reloaded over 1200 times and it was still in perfect condition.

I start with the bullet. It is a copy of the original .44 Colt bullet. The .44 Colt was an American centerfire revolver cartridge produced commercially from 1871 until the 1940s. The cartridge was developed for the United States Army, and introduced by Colt's Patent Firearms around 1871. The Army used it until 1873, at which time it was replaced by the better known .45 Colt cartridge used in the then-recently adopted Colt Single Action Army revolver.

The .44 Colt was used in the Richards-Mason conversions of Colt's 1860 Army percussion revolver. The conversion process involved boring through the chambers of the obsolete cap and ball revolvers to enable them to chamber centerfire metallic cartridges. This process left a chamber of uniform diameter, with no step at the front. Thus the bullet and the brass case were made the same diameter, with a short "heel" section at the base of the bullet of smaller diameter inserted in the mouth of the case.

The bullet is Lyman #430185 .. a heel bullet design. The body of the bullet is approximately the same diameter as the cartridge. It is an outside lubricated bullet. It is nominally 210 grains and has no lube grooves or crimp groove. The heel is .430" and the bullet body is .441".

I use cases that have been fired in my gun. I do not size them or neck expand them. What I do is remove the crimp and take about .080" to .100" off the cases in my case trimmer. I remove any burrs inside and outside the case mouth. Once that is done no more operations on the case are necessary.

The loading process is:
1. deprime
2. prime
3. add powder charge
4. seat the bullet by pressing it into the case with your thumb
5. if the bullet is not lubed with something like Lee Liquid Alox, wipe a little lube on it and it is ready to fire.

The oversize front part of the bullet acts as a crimp. It butts against the "step" in the chamber when it is loaded in the gun and holds the bullet back for a micro-second just like a crimp does, allowing the powder to burn properly. It is completely sized by the chamber before it enters the barrel.
a.jpg
THE BULLETS
g.JPG
Left - .44 COLT Right - my handload .44 SPECIAL
IMG_3276.JPG
+
Left - .44 Special Right - shortened .44 Special

LOADING PROCESS
j.JPG
k.JPG
ADDING POWDER CHARGE TO PRIMED CASE
l.JPG
SEATING THE BULLET
m.JPG
IMG_3280.JPG
LOADED ROUND
u.JPG
v.JPG
These are -for me - a fun way to shoot the .44 Special.

NOTE: If you are shooting a .44 Magnum you can use regular .44 Special cases and these bullets without having to trim the cases. They work just fine in the .44 Magnum.

The bullet mold is a hard one to find these days. However cast bullet - lubed or unlubed - are available from
WESTERN BULLET CO.
904 Kensington Ave.
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: (406) 728-4801
Email: info@westernbullet.com
On The Web: http://westernbullet.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: A Different Way To Load The .44 Special

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, no crimping of any kind? Just a friction fit? Any issues with these bullets walking out a bit?

I'm wondering if the Era's Gone .44 conical might work in this type of application (for a .45 given the bullet diameter). :D
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The bullets cannot move forward until fired. The "step" in the chamber prevents them from moving.
chamber.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

To kewl :P

I got a hankering to play in the reloading room with this!

Now to get a mold or some bullets . I bet LBT could make a mold for that. Gunna check em out.
Thanks Jim.

What powder and charge do you play with ??

Thanks again

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Mostly I use Bullseye .. 4 to 5 grains. The targets posted above were 4 1/2 grains of Bullseye. 231 works find as does 700X.
IMG_3278.JPG
f.JPG
The bullet has to be a heel bullet in order to work. I know you understand but others reading may need that idea reinforced. :D
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:51 pm So, no crimping of any kind? Just a friction fit? Any issues with these bullets walking out a bit?

I'm wondering if the Era's Gone .44 conical might work in this type of application (for a .45 given the bullet diameter). :D
I was considering the same thing. I have one of these molds, for an 1860 Pietta, but have not used it yet. Looking at the specifications, it would slip fit inside a 44 Special, but the outside diameter is too great. It could be pushed (from the nose) thru a sizing die, but the proper diameter is unusual.

https://www.erasgonebullets.com/store/p ... -johnston-
The specifications are below the video links. But it is out of stock.

https://www.erasgonebullets.com/store/p ... lt-dragoon
This is in stock , but selling fast. I don't have this one. It may be a little long. Maybe use in .44 Russian cases
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well this is fun. Thanks for posting, Jim. 8)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Too Cool 8) Thanks Jim.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Awesome stuff. Thanks.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

b.t.t.

A slight variation on this theme is the following.....

I have a 3" .45 colt/.410 2.5" bond derringer barrel that is primarily used with win. factory #9s for slaying summertime vipers. I wanted to have some real bullets to shoot if needed but I wanted to get them much closer to the 1/2" length of rifling than a .45 colt does.

A .444 marlin case which is often used as an all brass substitute for a 2.5" .410 fits perfectly. I threw a normal .45 colt load of reddot and balled-up a single square of toilet paper to take-up some space then seated a .44 colt bullet with a thwack or two or three of a mallet and gave them a smear of cup grease.

The expedient .44 colt bullets are nothing more than lee 200 gr. percussion conicals with the bands sized down by running them base up into a .41 magnum sizer.
IMG_20230413_081200878~2.jpg
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Looks good Ray. Great idea.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, Charmin or Scott TP? I gots ta know ... :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ray, I have 1 of those Bond Arms, also for eliminating danger noodles. I like your idea to move the bullet closer to the rifling. I need to try that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost