Not a Lever- Pedersoli Rolling Block .40-65

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Not a Lever- Pedersoli Rolling Block .40-65

Post by 1886 »

Found a like new in the box Pedersoli Rolling Block .40-65. It is the sillouette(sp?) model with double set triggers, globe front sight, and a vernier tang sight. What a pretty rifle with select wood and case hardened receiver. No experience with the rolling block or the .40-65. The rifle has a 1-18" twist so it should handle 400gr bullets nicely. Pics. coming soon. 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not a Lever- Pedersoli Rolling Block .40-65

Post by TedH »

So I assume you bought it? If so, yeah, we will be needing some pics of that one.
NRA Life Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Is it a .40-65 Ballard, or a .40-65 Winchester? Doesn't really matter, all I can do about either caliber is quote Cartridges of the World.

I can wax eloquent on the Rolling Block though.

Rolling Blocks have only one failing, extraction is rather weak.

The action is incredibly strong. Back in the late 1860's the proof house in Liege Belgium attempted to test a .50 caliber Remington Rolling Block (probably a .50-70 Gov't ). They loaded the 36" barrel from breech to muzzle, with 750 grains of powder, an overpowder wad, 43 bullets and another wad. The rifle was strapped into a cradle and fired with the use of a long lanyard. The rifle was undamaged.

I am not going to tell you that you can safely abuse a Rolling Block with huge charges of smokeless powder. I will say that no reasonable load, with either smokeless powder or the real stuff is going to hurt your rifle.

I had a Pedersoli Rolling Block in .45-70. It was a really sweet shooter. Using 65 grains of Elephant FFg powder and some home cast 510 gr. Semi-Spitzer bullets, I could ring the 300 meter target with monotonous regularity.

IMNSHO, you've found a very fine rifle. I hope you enjoy it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hey Doc! It's great to see you on the forum again. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Biggest drawback to the 40-65 is having to put up with the scrap metal known as Starline Brass, to get proper heastamp.
Goex 3f Express, and the Lyman 400 gr snover cast from wheelweights, and sized .410 , lubed with sagebrush allox, work reall well to 1000 yds in this rebarreled roller my wife shoots.