IF you could have only one rifle, one pistol....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have ofter heard about the many firearms we have, and often the comment is, I am so glad I don't have to pick.

Well, in this topic, I am asking you to do just that. I have done a search and really couldn't come up with the answer to this question that way. So here is the boundaries of the topic:

you can only pick one rifle - hunting, self protection, plinking, fondling, drooling over... etc. You won't have any others at home, at camp, in the car, at some member of your families home. You have to choose only one. It has to be one you have or one you are working to own/build etc. I would like to know which one it is, and why. I am leaving a little room to wiggle with the second part of the question.

With that one rifle, you get to have one pistol, same rules, no others anywhere else.

I know with recent supreme court rulings, we should not have to worry about this but the topic interest me very much. My brother and I have often discussed this topic, that firearms are like golf clubs and you NEED one for every scenario. In this case, is there one that will fulfill all your hunting, plinking, self defence needs that you may come across. I know there are many factors to consider like location, game, length of shots etc, thats why I asked the "why" question too.

Oh, and pics are highly encouraged. I am not going to post my choices yet, having to choose between two combos.

mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: IF you could have only one rifle, one pistol....

Post by Grizz »

Big Surprise: GS and RH.

That would be my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. Both can be loaded down to girlie levels, and loaded up to freight train levels. I'd feel very well armed anywhere anytime.

Grizz
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This question comes up now and then, and is always a tough choice.

I would definately,..maybe,..choose either,....the 86 carbine, or the '03 Springfield sporter, and for a short gun, definately,..probably,...either the Smith K-22, or the Smith 29 (.44), or the Ruger SA .44. The Ruger is easier for me to shoot heavier loads in than the Smith, but the Smith is more reliable in my experience.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I HAVE had to choose based on personal circumstance. So, first I had a .22 but I had back-up (Dad). Then I chose a single-shot 12 ga. but would choose the most capacity legal 12 ga. I could get. Then I got a .357 Mag revolver (flexibility). Flexibility is the key.

If I had to trim down now I'd have my Contender carbine, a 12 ga. pump shotgun and a .45 ACP revolver...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I could actually narrow it down to just one.
My Citori has all the choke tubs.
The rifled choke tube gives me awesome 12 ga. slug performance. :wink:
I have a set of sights that clamp right onto the vent. rib.

If it has to be a traditional rifle and a sidearm, then it would be my
94 30-30 and Colt SAA .357/.38 :)
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...decisions...decisions...

carumba...

it would have to be between the 1894c 38/357 & taurus 38/357 or the ruger p9 9mm carbine and ruger p95dc 9mm...

i like rifle/pistol ammo interchangability and the two rugers will share magazines, too... 8) ...i know, i know...the 9mm ain't no 'cowboy' cartridge and they don't make levers in 9mm... :roll:

geeeeeeeeeee...i'm gonna hafta dwell on this one for a while... :?
Last edited by donw on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

The pistol part is easy. One of the 629's that resides in my safe.

Rifle is another matter. Choice between my 1895XLR, 1894 44mag., one of my AR's (get .223, 7.62 x 39, 458Socom, 50 Beowulf) an Encore--multiple calibers and shotgun and muzzleloader, or something based on the Remington 700 short action. With the 700 with different bolts, I can shoot .223 case head sized calibers (single shot only) or the 308 family of calibers ,as it would be a 308 gun origionally, I could have 22-250,260rem,7mm-08, 308,338fed,358Win, 375/08 and 44/284. With the magnum bolt face, single shot, could be any caliber that fits the case and I can eject-6.5Rem mag and 350 rem mag plus maybe the WSSM calibers

PS--You didn't restrict it to one caliber and some of us have somewhat devious minds :lol:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The title of this should be: "Nightmare - one rifle, one pistol..." :lol:

Wow, I would be insulting so many other rifles and pistols that I just don't think I can do it...

Maybe four - two handguns, two rifles.... but wait - what about shotties?

I will make this acceptable to me so that I can answer - I'm modifying my question to "what if you could only take one pistol and one rifle on a trip?" :)

OK - for my trip:

Marlin 336RC converted to .356 Winchester - can handle any hunting that I may want to do on my trip - even squirrel with pistol bullets and handgun propellant loads. Will have an aperture sight but a mount and scope too if I need it.

Sig P220 (45 ACP) - reliable as the day is long, concealable, plenty of power and very accurate. Digests 250 grain rnfp cast bullet loads really well too. Also very light and carries well. This would be for personal defense and general opportunity needs - the 250 grain cast load goes about 850 fps.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If the pair had to serve to obtain me MORE rifles and pistols, I'd probably want a 1911 .45 and an M1A, but if they had to STAY my only pair, I'd give serious thought to a .45 Colt pair in Puma 92 and Ruger Redhawk.
  • I'd avoid semiautomatics due to reliability issues if I had to 'scrounge' or improvise ammunition.

I'd like two guns using the same ammunition for the reduced inventory needs.

I'd like the ability to use SABOTS (which aren't available in .44 Mag that I know) so I could use OTHER diameter bullets, and even pea-gravel, if necessary.

I'd like a straight-walled case, because they last longer, and are easier to reload.

I'd like guns which can use plain lead bullets which I can make if I have to.
Of course, one could make a case for a pair of .22LR's due to ammunition being low cost and compact. I haven't killed anything with a .45 Colt or .44 Mag or any other gun which wouldn't have been killable (in a pinch) with a .22 LR.

If .45-70's used the same diameter bullet as .45 Colt, I'd consider the longer cartridge, trading brass shareability for power, and I suppose one could do that using a .44 Mag and .444 Marlin, if desired.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Folks, shotguns don't count as rifles. :D If I were to choose one firearm, it would a shotgun, with chokes, perhaps a second barrel. End of story. EASY CHOICE. Not asking for an EASY CHOICE. :D :D One Rifle. One Pistol. and if it makes a difference to your choice, lets assume you have one shotgun somewhere. Better yet even, One Rifle, One Pistol considering you have a shotgun and the same question if you don't have a shotgun and why the difference in response.

Here are my two choices:

1. Wild West Gun in 457mag/45-70, takedown, with scout scope and peep sights. The 45-70 does it all for me and this gun is light and very handy and the take down feature is a huge bonus.

Pistol, would have to be Freedom Arms .45LC or .22lr/.22mag The 45lc might get my nod as a better personal defense weapon and that might push it over the top as the choice here.

2. NKJ customized '92 in .357, brushed stainless with recvr sight. The .357 is suitable for eastern white tail and .38's could be used for small game and is a better plinker than the other choice. Great "truck" gun or camp gun for two legged varmits.

Pistol: S&W model 60 pro 3" ss, with adjustable sights, tritium insert in front sight. Same ammo as above, light and can serve as small game, self defense handgun. fun plinking too.

the second combo may be the most practical but I am emotionally attached to the first combo.

As far as shotgun in the picture - Remington 870 Marine 12 gauge, with chokes is all I need. My pics above don't change with or with out the shotgun in the picture.

the choices do have an affect on Muzzle loading seasons. I have archery equipment that allows me to hunt during them. Bird season is in question whether I have a shotgun or not. Generally the shotgun would be the last to go.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wow Mike, nothing like make my head hurt this early in the morning.

My first reaction is my Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt and my FA 83 in 454. I can share ammo between the two in a pinch, or get different cylinders for the FA and have the 454, 45 Colt and 45 ACP option.

I'm also thinking I might take my Winnie '86 in 45-90 as the rifle. I can shoot 45-70 in a pinch and I can go a little up and down in power factor. Straight walled cases for reloading, availability (mainly 45-70), and durability.

Being confined to just this battery would be touch to cover all the bases.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have often pondered such thoughts myself and sometimes I come up with something sensible for where I live and hunt, Like a Savage 24 .22/.410. Handguns as you know, I'm limited mainly to Cap n Ball :x so I'd probably go for a Remington .44.

If I could choose anything I lusted after, it would be a Win.92 in 32/20 with a SAA in the same calibre to match. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

You said one rifle and one handgun right? My choice would be a 1894 Winchester lever Carbine in 30-30 and a Colt SAA in 45 Colt. What a surprise!
"That'll Be The Day"
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

WEll I could cheat and say , for the rifle ,I'll take my H&R sb2 ( handi rifle single shot ) since its really only one gun with five fitted barrels all with the same serial number stamped :D. That would give me the use of 223; 30-30; 30-06; 45-70 amd the 12 gauge 3.5 in barrel .
BUT in the spirit of the questoin and to keep it simple I GUESS it would be my M1 Garand . I could hunt just about anything in North America with it and its a pretty fair rifle in a fight !!!
For the hadngun i'd take my Ruger Bh 4 5/8 barrel in 357 mag cause it may be the most versatile gun I could have with me JMHO
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Its obvious its hard to get us to narrow down to just two, and I would want three by including a shotgun, but I'll try. You don't say why we have to get down to just two, and circumstances might change my choices. So I thought for whatever reason the need, what would the last two to go out of my safe.

In rifles, I have levers, bolts and even one Semi-auto :shock: (M1 carbine). Calibers from .22 to .444.

In Handguns, revolvers and Semi-autos in .22, .357, 45acp, 44mag. Hard Choice, the flattop .44 or 1911...............Hmmmm

OK, I said two, my choice in a rifle would be My Marlin 39A in .22. Its fun to shoot and plink with, can be used for self defense in a pinch, ammo is plentiful, easy to pack, and I think I could feed myself well if I had to.

And the handgun would be a 4" S&W Model 19 .357mag. Resonably compact for carry and powerful enough for self-defense or to take down a deer, accurate, can cover a wide range of applications if you reload.

I'd still miss the others though!!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

My Springfield M1A and Kimber 1911
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The shotgun "given" is a twist I hadn't anticipated. I'm just not a shotgun guy, and they rarely ever cross my mind as a "practical" gun. I've long felt that a decent sixgun was much more flexible as far as range and game getting abilties. Maybe I've been in wide open country for too long?

Back to the matter at hand, I'd consider a savage 22/20 ga for the shotgun element. That way I'd have a 22 rifle. :D I'd much rather trade the shotgun freebee for another rifle, like a real 22 rifle tho.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

K22 Pistol

270 Rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I can't imagine ever being without a 22, so one of them HAS to be a 22. Plus, I'm a member of the "one big, one small" club. It seems to me, especially in this scenario, that duplicating caliber in each firearm does not make sense. Since I'm a big game hunter and shots are often out there a ways, I need a big rifle, so the 22 has to be a handgun. I want to be able to pop bunnies out to 50 yards, and I do better at that with the heavy-barreled semi-autos.

So...a Browning Buckmark on the hip, and a takedown BLR in 308 with a scout mounted scope in QD mounts. Sounds like a dream team to me :D
Chad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, so far we have:

for rifle, counting those waivering between two or more, we have (8) pistol calibers with the .22lr leading in votes. Other pistol caliber rifles include .357, 45lc, 32-20. votes are split between semis, double acting and SA. so far, no single shots.

For "rifle" calibers, we have 13 chosen, with .308/30-06 leading the way with 4 votes. other vote getters are 45-70, 30-30, .356, .270 and a couple clever voters choosing variability of interchangeable barrels/bolts. Semi, bolt, lever and single shot are represented in the votes.

Some gave their preference as a shotgun, some said they didn't need a shotgun.

No clear winners so far and I just can't help but think how varied the answers yet united in cause we are. Keep em coming, I love to hear your thoughts.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Well, I don't have much. The handgun was a given considering I have two. A Ruger Old Army and a Ruger NM Blackhawk .45; that was easy.

Long gun, hmmmmm. I had to choose between one that is accurate, light, a breeze to shoot and slim or one that is very rugged, powerful, iffy on the accuracy, bulky and easily deployed as a tent pole, fire stirrer, marshmollow roaster, nose picker, boat paddle, club or if you want, a gun.

Of course I chose the lever. :D

9422 and Blackhawk

M-44 and Blackhawk
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

This isnt really a fair question. I mean who on this site could answer this? who would want to? Why are you being so mean? I feel a little put out by this thinking that I would have to go back to only one of each :shock: :lol:

Well ok, in the spirit of things I will say:

Rifle- Rossi 92 in .357 mag. This was not my first rifle and I might change my mind later. The reason I picked this though is it is a great hunter from small to med-large game. It aslo is no wimp in the self protection role.

Pistol- S&W 686 in .357 mag. Mates up nicely with the Rossi and fits all above reasons.

Whew- thank God we dont really have to pick just one of each!
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

YEA...RIGHT...BUT IT WOULD
PROBABLY BE MY S&W 629 CLASSIC 44 MAG
AND MY MODEL 94 AE BIG LOOP 44 MAG
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Your design parameters were specific,
Swedish mauser, scout config. 6.5x55mm
S&W 629.44 mag 4 inch
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

handgun 45 colt bisley with 45 acp cylinder.very accurate

for rifle my T/C carbine as I can swap barrels out from 223 to 45/70.
pete
DAV life member.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mike,

After this topic question runs it’s course, here would be another interesting question.

If it was totally hitting the fan and you had no more than 10 to 15 min. to
vacate your life as you knew it, what would you toss in the back or trunk of
your vehicle? This would be with the mind set that there is a very high
probability you would never be returning or seeing your home again. :o
Like heading for the hills as a total life altering pandemonium is about to
hit. :shock:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Different question, different parameters.
As I have 3 places, here, intermediate, final destination.
15 minutes to get gone?
Daewoo K-I, Colt 70 series, with Millet sights
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have a good shooter grade W-94 in .30WCF....that rifle and a .357 M 65 S&W.

This is a bad question... I'd have to hide a few others............

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Single Six with both cyls and my tricked out 1895CB.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Oh Man would that suck!

Ok, One rifle.. my little shorty Browning 1886 when it's all fixed up. Until then my '03 Springfield Sporter '06

Pistol...
My old 1911A1

Evil question Mike :D

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, that would be a good question, but that is not the intent of this one. In your question would have to know if others are going, what compliments them etc. I was just thinking, that if we were limited to just one or each, what would they be. Your situation requires thought on ammo, storage, portability, intended target. I am less extreme in my question - just limiting. More and more, I am thinking my .357 lever by NKJ and FA .22lr.
Mike Johnson,

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It would be my Marlin mountie for ease of carry, call to action, stealth, light ammo......a selection of ammo from super colibri on up.
and a 357 revolver with loading tools and a mold for predators and the occasional larger game animals.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

My favorite pistol (that I already have) is a Colt Army Special .32-20, 6".

If I get to keep a shotgun too, I'll keep the Savage 99F .300 for the long gun. If not, I'll keep the CZ 584 combo gun, 12 ga. over 7x57R.

The Duke got by with a rifle and a pistol, and one kind of ammo, but he wasn't a hunter (except maybe in Hatari).
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I hate to be one of those interchangeable barrel guys, but For what I do I dont think there is a way around it.

For my long gun I would like a T.C. encore with .22lr, 30-06, and 12 gauge barrrels

The .22 would be for small critters and plinking, the shoty for birds and the 06 for all my big game needs.

For my handgun I would go with a good 1911, If Im only allowed to have two guns I would bet handgun HP rounds were banned so .45 ball is as good as ball can be. 1911's are also very fun to shoot so that would make since to me to have a fun plinking yet decent fighting handgun as my side arm. One of those .22 conversion slides would be cool to :D
Break on through to the other side!!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Given such a scenerio I will have to assume that there is more at stake than just the availability of the firearms, but the availability of ammunition/components as well.

As such I will have to favor the M92 in .454 and a good 4" .454 Revolver.

No, I won't be shooting anything at long range, but I will be able to kill anything that moves from squirrels to Armored Cars... and use the same reloading dies/supplies to do it. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

casastahle wrote:Mike,

After this topic question runs it’s course, here would be another interesting question.

Already determined. Everything in my Gun Safe.

1886 45-70 & Ammo Can
M92 .357 & Ammo Can
96/22 & Ammo Can
Flintlock & Ammo Can
Mossberg 500 & Ammo Can
16x16-9.3x72R Drilling.
Reloading Can (Lee Loaders, "universal" powder, Bullet moulds, Primers & .32ACP ammo)

I'll already be wearing my SP101 & my NAA .32

All but the pre-staged ammo cans go into a single steamer trunk/footlocker designated for the purpose.

The packed BOB is in the trunk, only to be removed in order to fill the trunk with guns.

Next question? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

If we're talking about personal circumstances, I would pick my Win94 Legacy in .357. I can shoot it at the local indoor range, and all silhouette matches. Ammo is easy to reload and/or find. I could hunt deer with it if I had to.

If we're talking about survival, I might want a 30-30. Maybe my Marlin 336, it's more rugged and can be taken apart if necessary. But it would be a close call. I do have a Win94 in 30-30 that I might take instead of the Marlin.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Can't do it, voluntarly... and if the gub'ment forced me to... they better take 'em all, my knives, hacksaws, nails, railroad spikes, my bow AND arrows, any fishin' line, electrical wiire, plumbing supplies to start with. Even that would only slow me down for a day or two.

But, no when the Lord calls me to the Cowboy match in the sky, I gotta have 4, just for the main stages, plus others for the side matches.

However, as a strictly intellectual exercise:

Carbine: Winchester 94 "Trapper" in .3-30; light, compact, accurate to 200 yards, w/sifficient power to take medium game w/in that range and larger inside 100 yards; adequate for self-protection; and plain looks good!

handgun: Colt SAA in .45 Colt 1/4-¾" simply because its what I've shot most in the last 20 years and is adequate personal protection, besides being "drop dead" gorgeous:

Okay, intellectual exercise over. I have a headache... Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Man, had a bunch of 'first thoughts' just blow through my mind :lol: The first was my Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag, the second one of the '86's, probably the 45-70 and the 3rd was my .348.

The pistol was easy, the only pistol I would even consider would be one of my .44 Ruger Flattops. Got lots of 44 moulds, lots of lead.

Back to the rifle. I decided on the .348. Elk out to 200+ yards, got a couple of moulds for it too. Its the 2nd most accurate rifle I own. 250gr cast @100 yards will stay inside 1 1/2".

Tomorrow I may change my mind and go with the Marlin CB..................... :mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

casastahle wrote:Mike,

My guns and ammo, then my kids, then my wife, and then food and water if it will fit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I gave this one some serious thought, and came up with the following..

I cannot do it. If I were forced to I would sell ALL my guns, and take up playing Bingo. It is like a Bad dream trying to figure this one out!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I usually avoid stuff like this, but am feeling a little different today, so I will play. I will choose from what I already have, to make it simple, and will base it on my present surroundings, not where I might live after I retire, or something like that. This also ignores weapons that I deeply love, instead choosing practicality. I also do not yet handload, so common and relatively economical ammo is a requirement.

Rifle: Browning Lightning BLR, .308, in the semi-pistol grip and fat forend version as catalogued in 1997. I do wonder sometimes how it would hold up in extremely dirty or abusive conditions, as I have not subjected it to hard use, and the future could possibly have hard use in store for it. But, it is what I have, right now, in a serious chambering, yet is light in the hands and fairly compact, and performs well for me. I almost chose my Winchester Model 70 bolt rifle, but .375 H&H ammo is bulky and very expensive, and I probably won't be trekking through Alaska or Africa often, if ever.

Handgun: Ruger GP100, 4" barrel, adjustable sights. My "Old Warrior" duty pistol; yes, revolvers are pistols; revolving pistols. (Look it up.) It shoots where I want it to shoot, right quickly. I know what a .357 projectile will do to a human body; I mean I REALLY know. I have other handguns that were in close contention, but I had to be practical, and choose one unlikely to break, ever, and relatively easy to fix if it did. I actually carry SIG autopistols and smaller SP101 snubbies, but narrowing things down to one means it's time for the good ol' 4" heavy-barrel sixgun.

I already forgot if this exercise called for a shotgun, or if one can be included, but if we are going there, Remington 870P, with the "P" meaning police. Remington assembles the 870P separately from the Wingmasters, Expresses, and such, with higher QC, more hand-fitting as needed, and some parts a bit better, such as the trigger guard, safety button, and, IIRC, magazine springs. (I think there are a couple more.) When picked up off the rack, an 870P will be smoother in operation than an Express, for sure, and while an 870P costs more, I feel the difference is well worth it. My 870P came with an 18" IC barrel, and I installed a custom Vang-comp barrel for police patrol work, when tighter patterns are desired. I am anticipating buying another barrel, which will have sights, for better placement of slugs. (An alternative would be having sights installed on one of my present barrels, but factory barrels are relatively inexpensive, and changing them takes seconds.) With a good slug barrel, I could do without a rifle, if I had to. In fact, if I had to choose between rifle or shotgun, from what I have right now, I just might go with the 870P.

Edited to add: I almost chose a single-action sixgun. I have several, but have yet to decide which is my cup of tea. I probably do not yet own my "ultimate" single action, and have much, much more experience with my DA revolvers at this point in time.
Last edited by Rexster on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The first thought that came to me is the same after reading all three pages. '94 30wcf and my Colt SAA 5 1/2 inch .45, any of the other combos would do but these came to mind just real quick.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

bb94.356wcf. glock 27 .40s&w, with a .9mm barrel.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sorry but this question is absurd to me :wink:

I mean heck I would have a hard time choosing ONE rifle for a specific caliber , much less one rifle period !

I did have a shotgun that most likely could have made a single shotgun thing but it was a Krieghoff K-32 with a 28" skeet barrel and Kolar 20 - 28 and 410 tube inserts as well as two other barrels for Trap !

So I could shoot birds , skeet , trap and Sporting Clays with this one ! Not to sure about slugs ! But I could sling some OO Buck easy enough !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, tough question, but here goes. For a rifle, choosing from what I have, It would be the Springfield M1A1 Scout/Squad. In .308 Win, so it could be used for most North American "big game" (never really understood that term), and of course would be excellent for any medium to long range "defense" work. For a handgun, I'd go with my Ruger Mark I Target with the 6 7/8" barrel. You really need a good accurate .22 lr. And since the rifle is already chosen, A very accurate handgun in that chambering would do nicely. Shotgun, glad the query was ammended. Remmy 870 lefty 12 ga. with an assortment of barrels, such as a shorty for defense, a rifled for longer range, and one with choke tubes for birds and such.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Mike changed the parameters to a 15 minute jump & run scenario on page 2; when did a third gun get included?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

after rethinking post, which is geared more to survival/self defence than hunting, i"take an m4 with a 870 attacthed barrell and a glock 33.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mascalero, I didn't change the parameters, the other mike suggested we do that one after. I stated on the first page I think that a shotgun could be assumed or not, I was interested in the rifle and pistol that you could use best for all of your hunting , plinking, defensive purposes. No 15 min grab and go. Completely different. Suppose the goverment said "reasonable" meant only one of each.
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

mascalero, I didn't change the parameters, the other mike suggested we do that one after. I stated on the first page I think that a shotgun could be assumed or not, I was interested in the rifle and pistol that you could use best for all of your hunting , plinking, defensive purposes. No 15 min grab and go. Completely different. Suppose the goverment said "reasonable" meant only one of each.
Mike Johnson,