1873 in .44 Special

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 in .44 Special

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I'm sort of wondering whether a man could modify the carrier to feed better? The place for the cartridge is the same size as the one on a .45 Colt carrier. I wonder if I could build up a small ramp or ridge on the inside of the left inside of the carrier to place the round in a better position to feed? (the rounds catch on the left hand side of the chamber)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:18 pmI'm sort of wondering whether a man could modify the carrier to feed better? The place for the cartridge is the same size as the one on a .45 Colt carrier. I wonder if I could build up a small ramp or ridge on the inside of the left inside of the carrier to place the round in a better position to feed? (the rounds catch on the left hand side of the chamber)
I've had it sugggested to "ramp" the bottom of the mouth of the chamber, ala ramping a 1911. However, my reaction to that, was you might find yourself on a road to making a place where the web of the cartridge might not be supported during combustion. VTI tells me that the .38-40, .44-40, .44Spl & 45 Colt all use the same carrier.
1873 carrier.jpg
I wonder if lowering the rear of the carrier channel (where the cartridge sits on the carrier in motion), would be a better solution... allowing the body of the cartridge to sit level, instead of on the rim and the case mouth or driving band of the bullet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I've thought about getting a .38/.357 brass lifter and boring it out a bit at a time to see what can be done to make minimal clearance for the cartridge.

Your idea is a good one, it seems that the rim of the case contacts the extractor and the bullet leans to the left during normal cycling causing the shoulder of the Keith bullet or the meplat of the WFN to catch on the left side of the chamber. My 92s keep the bullets headed straight forward and they seem to feed anything. My old Rossi even feeds the 270SAA in the .45 Colt like butter.

What I am thinking about doing is using a little JB Weld to build up some of that empty space on the left side of the block.