Savage History

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Savage History

Post by Old Savage »

I was reading some of the history of savage this morning. It appears that 1894-5 was an important year/s in that we got the 1894 Win. and Savage was formed and the 1895 Savage with the 303/32 SPL/30-30 group. This appears to be the beginning of a class of rifle cartridges that still endure and have seen great constant use. I confess not knowing Marlin history and feel free to fill me in.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage History

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, OS - J.M. Marlin started making an .45-70 in 1881, then Hepburn's little .22 & .32 levergun in 1891/92, then the bit larger Model 1893 those two years later.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

And here I thought we were going to be treated to a short autobiography, complete with old photos. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yup, I too thought someone with a big book was going to say "Old Savage, This is your life". :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I agree that the mid 1890's would have been a wondrous time to be into the shooting sports. What with the coming of smokeless powder and all the marvelous things it shows potential for. The coming of nickle steels and better metallurgy making guns stronger. The guns of Winchester and Marlin being at their peak of beauty and function with men like John Browning and others doing what they did best. But then those spitzer bullets came around and guns like the Savage and Mauser ushered in a new age. Wow, what a ride.
Interesting that after over a century of improvements and advancements, I settled on an 1892 Winchester shooting cast bullets and lighter loads and still manage to hit what I aim at.
Kirk. I like the latest picture you have. You look like a man who would be a pleasure to spend time with. Wish you lived closer.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My oldest Savages are the same year as Kirk's newest Winchester - 1954s - one is a 250 the other a 300.

94s but new 80 and 07

94s but new 90 and 05

And the centenniel model 1894-1994

That's all fellows except the Big Bore which is a newer addtion.

Oh and let's not forget this rifle version from 85

Oh well - here is the Big Bore - not sure of year, All for you Gamekeeper.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...