OT - Audie Murphy Day in Texas - June 20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Audie Murphy Day in Texas - June 20

Post by rjohns94 »

So I am watching Audie Murphy on the tv today and did a search on his background. Sure most of us know this but below is a link on his life. Medal of honor winner, most decorated american soldier, died at 44 in a plane crash on memorial day weekend. June 20 is Audie Murphy day in Texas. Reading of his courage, and patriotism filled my eyes with tears. Happy Audie Murphy day, one day late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Audie Murphy Day in Texas - June 20

Post by Ben_Rumson »

This great warrior's preferred weapon was the M1 CARBINE
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Mike, I was in Roanoke right after that happened. My dad had his own plane and we had flown in to visit cousins. It was a sad time.

I need to check the book out of the library. I keep relying on the movie... my bad.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

As a matter of fact, we are attending the annual Audie Murphy day parade in Farmersville, Texas this afternoon at 5:30.
Big doings in Farmersville! These small town parades are a lot of fun; You always see folks you know watching and riding in the parade I am taking my grandson for the fifth straight year.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

one of my heros.....
its been raining here in florida....
and watched 2 of his movies today
kansas raiders and seven days from sundown
good movies
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i watched the same two.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IIRC, Dad was called in for the recovery. Not so sure as they crashed on Park Service land.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Murphy was a true American hero, but like so many others, his personal life was tragic. My Grandfather was his commanding officer Stateside before Murphy went overseas. He told me he was the worse soldier under his command in terms of discipline. They took him out of the Guardhouse to ship him to Europe.

After the War, he never came to terms with life in general. He felt all of the recognition and adulation he received was unjustified, and he could not live up to his own legend. He never did get his head together. He had a very serious drinking problem that stayed with him until his untimely death.

His story was like that of classic Greek tragedy..A great man, destoryed in the end by a fatal flaw.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Sometimes men who are heroic under crisis conditions just can't fit in when the situation is calm.

Sgt. Maynard "Snuffy" Smith was another. He was on KP duty the morning he was awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_Harrison_Smith

For whatever reason, I remember knowing about him even as a child, long before I knew anything Audie Murphy, except for the name. Probably because I was fascinated by airplanes at the time.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My darn DVDR failed to record a pair of Audie movies Saturday morning!

I read "To Hell and Back" and have seen the movie many times. Audie was an American though and through... enough said!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

In my previous post about the annual Audie Murphy memorial parade in Farmersville, Texas, I forgot to mention that Audie was from Farmersville and is fondly remembered there.

The Saturday parade was great; it began with a F 15 flyover then followed up with the local police, and volunteer fire vehicles, new and antique cars with politicians and local folks, antique tractors, Boy Scouts, Nat Guard, and finished off with the local risidng club and anyone else that wanted to ride in the parade. See attached photo of typical Texas country girls riding in parade.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I went tot he provided Wekipedia link and saw something very interesting. One of the little boys that played one of his kid brothers in the movie was actually Audie's son.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

CRS- looks like the parades here in Crockett, not big as the Rose Parade in Ca., but a lot more fun (been to both).
when your enemy is within range so are you
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Bis - +1 on the small town parade over the big city parades. It is kinda nice to actually know half the folks in the audience and in the parade.