savage model 99 in 358

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeeB
Levergunner

savage model 99 in 358

Post by LeeB »

Anyone have info (positive or neg) on the model 99 in 358 win? I bought the rifle a couple years ago but haven't done much with it. What I remember is it did not like factory rounds (about an 18" group at 100 yards)
Lee
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Re: savage model 99 in 358

Post by TNBigBore »

18" at 100yds :( . That is not good. I have never heard of one being that inaccurate. Were your scope mounts loose etc? Which model do you have the, the straight gripped "Brush Gun" or the pistol gripped 99F?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire LeeB. Hobie knows thing or two about Savage model 99s.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

About all I know is that few complain about accuracy but some complained about recoil... Seriously, there's many others here with a better working knowledge of the 99s. I have one mainly because I was so very ignorant of the design's characteristics. Mine is a 1972 99A in .308.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
LeeB
Levergunner

Post by LeeB »

Well, so far people have been fairly positive about the 99's capability. I was afraid this cal may not be accurate in this rifle configuration (Levers do have metal cut out in both the upper and lower action areas). I am a little worried it will be like my Winchester mod 95 in 405, it isn't a tack driver buy no means and is extremely fussy on what it eats, but I have found one load that somewhat works in it.

The Savage 99:
The rifle is an early rotary magazine 20 to maybe 21 inch barrel, w/pistol grip. I really haven’t tried much except one box of win 200 grain silver tips and about 7 rounds from my friends hand gun hand loads (250 grain). Both shot ~ not so good just out of the black at 100 yards. I have decided to load up a batch of 6 each 200 grain, 225 grain, and 250 grain bullets from low to high velocities to see what is what. I also will take the rifle out of the stock to see if there is any binding (barrel is a bit wimpy and the stock may be hitting the barrel). This gun doesn't seem like it have been shot much more than a couple of boxes. Maybe due to the kick (some say it kicks, but I'm use to my 458 Lott).

Any suggestions would be appreciated Lee
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have heard that the heavier bullets tend to be more accurate.

I'd check carefully for stock cracks (butt stock behind the tang) as these can give inconsistent vibrations which could affect accuracy and the 99s I've seen often have such cracks. I don't think the action form is the cause, too many others are very good groupers for that to be the case.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I have never heard of one shooting groups that large. Make sure the forearm isn't binding against the receiver and barrel. Try free floating the barrel by using a rubber O ring around the screw and by all means, don't overtighten the forearm screw. You might even try shooting without the forearm attached. Check the mounting of the scope and if everything is tight, try another scope. If you are shooting from a bench, try resting the front of the receiver on the bag and if nothing else works I'll take it off your hands. :)
JDL
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I had a 99F for a short while. If I remember correctly, I loaded 42gr H-322 and the Hornady 200gr spire point. One shot to foul the bore then the next 4 would go in under an inch (closer to 3/4") but at the 5th shot and higher, it would start to wander, until it cooled down again.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

if you want I might take it off your hands ... unless the barrel is shot out 99's are a great rifle
and the 358 very desirable .. I had a 99E in 308 rebarreled to 358win .. is shoots clover
leaves @ 100yards with factory 200grn silver tips. I love it ..

Talon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome, It should shoot better than 18" at 100yrds but small matter for that rifle in is quite desirable. Good luck. 1886.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Sold My 358, Bought a 356W ( Mdl94 ) Should have kept both...

Mine was a straight stock, Lot's of felt recoil.
That was part of my " big groups problem' ( 4-5 inches at 50 yards ),
I had a hard time Not flinching...
With a scope it did not 'carry' well. I liked the open sights better, .

Best ammo I found ( better than my reloads ) was old Silver tip Factory ammo...

Plus side: 308's punched though a 358 Die worked ok as reloads...
It is a tuff, reliable rifle, Better than the Win94 356.
NO feeding problems, NO jams...

But my opinion, 100 yard max Hunting rifle..(Deer size ) to be sure of a killing shot...
Also, I could shoot it almost as well off hand as from a rest(50yrds),

May be of interest"
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=2956
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Don't listen to these guys.....the Savage 99 is a dangerous piece of junk......particularly in 358.

But don't fret.....I'll help you out. Email me and I will send you my address and you can send your Savage 99 to me and I'll retire it properly, making sure that it does not come back to haunt you!

:lol:

Just kidding....actually the 99 is fantastic design and I have a high regard for the 358 chambering. I would, if I were you, is try again. It might just have been a bad lot of ammo, or perhaps a bad crown on the barrel, loose sights, or something similarly easy to rectify.

Wm

P.S. But if you do want to get rid of it let me know!
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Yours is definitely a 99F. If is has a tang safety it is valuable. It is has a lever safety it is extremely valuable especially if it is in great condition. You will have not trouble selling it if you decide you dont like it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

oldmax wrote: But my opinion, 100 yard max Hunting rifle..(Deer size ) to be sure of a killing shot...
Also, I could shoot it almost as well off hand as from a rest(50yrds),
Oldmax,

What is it about the 358 that rlelgates it to a 100 yd gun?

Do you feel the same way about the .308?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

It's Not 358 , its the Group size, I don't like to wound deer, With my 99-358 I did not have confidence in a good shot beyond 100 yards, i figure if the gun don't shoot 5 inches, 100 yards is pushing it. Just my personel feelings....
( Sorry, about previous post, re-reading it, I see where I sure could have started a blood bath
: I didn't splain good Lucy )

308W. No, MO, the 308 will kill farther than I can shoot, same as the 358.
308's punched though a 358 Die
: I used 308 casing expanded to 358

Why my 5 inch rule.
I really feel bad when a deer gets wounded and can not be recovered...
I have lost one with a shot off front leg, tracked it all day , kept putting it up in a swamp,
till the blood trail stopped, I could see it running on 3 legs, just couldn't get a shot.
I really felt bad,,, I did wound 1 other deer, bullet caught a twig and just creased him.
This one I did not feel bad about , He did't get hurt at all, That deer could run....
But now I try to take only good shots within me & the guns capabilities.
Plus . I'm to old to go chasing them,

But, I'm still sorry i didn't keep the 99-358 Savage , Thats what the Model was that I owned.
Now that i'm retired, I think I have enough time where i could have got it to shot good,,,,