Back home and back online

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Back home and back online

Post by perry owens »

Been back home in England for 3 weeks now but work has already taken me to Holland, Sweden and Korea so I have only just found time to get my home PC back online. Thanks to Paul for sorting out my account
May I say that the five years I spent in the USA were an enriching experience second only to raising our children. My wife and I travelled all over the country and wherever we went we were met with kindness and generosity. It was truly a privilege to spend time in a country whose people value freedom and patriotism so highly.
This forum provided a window on America through the diversity of opinions expressed on all manner of subjects, plus of course the huge amount of information on our core subject. I am only sorry that I was only able to meet three members face to face - Cas, Hans and 86'er. I have not gone home empty handed;17 rifles and two handguns are waiting to follow me home once I have got my licenses back.
Two of my shooting clubs here shoot at Bisley ranges, so here is an offer to any Levergunner who might one day make it across the pond. If you fancy shooting some classic black powder rifles at Bisley, the home of British target shooting, drop me a PM well in advance and do me the honor of being my guest.
Perry Owens
Last edited by perry owens on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Glad to hear you have had safe travel. Wondered about you since I haven't seen your name lately. Did you get a chance to visit your Canadian cousins when you were on this side of the pond? Best of luck to you and yours and keep us up to date of things where you are.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I'm glad you're safely home. I think we'd have preferred you'd stayed but I understand that it wasn't possible. Maybe someday I'll be able to take you up on your offer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

+1
Old Law Dawg
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

17! Good grief!

I saw a few new (old) single shots show up at Bensons, and I was starting to wonder if maybe you'd been forced to leave some behind. Glad they're not yours.

So how does one get 17 rifles overseas?
Slow is just slow.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Heck, hadn't heard from ole' Perry for so long...thought his boat had paddles.

Good to hear from ya.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Heck, hadn't heard from ole' Perry for so long...thought his boat had paddles.

Good to hear from ya.

:D :D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Perry glad to here you made it home safe and sound. You are welcome back here in the States anytime.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

We are so very glad to hear you are back and settled in. We have missed your contributions to the forum. How long before you get your license back? Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome back, good to hear from you again.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Glad to hear you had a safe trip. :D Welcome aboard again!
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Cas wrote
So how does one get 17 rifles overseas?
Firearms have to be shipped from the US by a licensed exporter. An individual cannot obtain an export license, only a business entity. This also applies to cartridge cases and certain other gun parts. I am using ETSS in Colorado, the outfit that Shiloh uses for exports. They will hold the guns and ship once I have my UK licenses in place.
Guns classed as antiques can be shipped by common carrier but the fun starts when they hit the UK airport. I will need to convince customs that they are for "curiosity and ornament only" and will not be fired. Once I have them in my possession I can apply to have them licensed for shooting at any time. British antique classification is different to the US. A gun must be over 100 years old and the ammunition must not be commercially available. Under this system all original Winchester 1873s are firearms but an 1886 in 40-65 is an antique.
Getting my licenses back could take up to 6 months due to the requirent for active particiaption in club shoots. In over 40 years as a UK shooter I have developed techniques for negotiating with the licensing authorities and so far have never failed to get what I want. Fortunately I have plenty of friends to lend me guns while I am waiting for mine to arrive.

Perry Owens
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Perry, thank you for that invitation. I do make it over to the UK from time to time. We shall see what the future holds. Glad you had a great time in the USA. Hopefully, you were able to make a trip up to the Alberta Rockies while you were here.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Kirk,
Most of my Canada trips were work related and to the eastern side, but I did manage a week in the Rockies on the BC side.Beautiful country, great people, nice neighbors!
Knowing your fondness for old Winchesters I will keep my '73 and '86 ready in anticipation.

Perry Owens