OT - Remington AR/VTR .223 ONLY!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Remington AR/VTR .223 ONLY!!!

Post by Haycock »

I wrote this out as a response to jjames' current OT thread on picking a Remington tactical rifle, but I figured I'd post it separately with a more accurate label since I suspect that it'll be of interest to anyone on the forum with an AR or contemplating one.

For anyone looking into the new Remington VTR, I thought I'd share some hard-won information on it with you:

In considering an AR prior to the elections, looking at the VTR and encountering for the first time the issue of 5.56 NATO / .223 incompatibility (being an AR noob), I called Remington tech support three times until I got to speak directly with a technician knowledgeable about the R-15, and he said that is lacks the leade needed to safely handle 5.56 NATO and is only rated to SAAMI spec, so you CAN'T shoot milspec/surplus 5.56 in it.

Now, the Remington web site and marketing info list the caliber as .223, but I have seen many instances of Internet forum postings about the rifle calling it a 5.56 NATO.

I even read a review of it yesterday in the new issue of G&A Book of the AR-15 where the available chamberings are listed as .204 Ruger and - I quote from p. 74 - "5.56 NATO (accepting commercial .223 ammo as well)".

THIS IS INCORRECT!!!

Be aware - this rifle is NOT equipped with the same chamber as the Bushmaster originals from which it derives (the Varminter and Predator). Per BM literature AND tech support the Varminter & Predator have a hybrid 5.56/.223 chamber with sufficient leade to support the higher pressure 5.56 loads AND an angled throat to allow match/high levels of accuracy with .223 loads.

The R-15 is designed to be shot with .223 ammo only.

When I asked the technician why they made that choice, he said it was because they want to market the rifle to hunters and not to "the black rifle types".

I went with the BM Predator. My first AR and I am likin' it! Waiting on a set of camo Burris rings to mount up a Nikon camo 2-7 or 3-9 (depending on rail and rig height/allowances). Figured now is the time to invest in this generation's primary freedom rifle, since the upcoming election brings a lot into question.

$.02, duly rendered.......

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Personally I like the "Wylde" chamber on my AR's. It's generally more accurate and allows use of either ammunition.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've always wondered how accurate the "predator" and "varminter" ones are vs. the bull-barrel shorter ones (say 20") - even in the "heavy" configuration, those long barrels just SEEM whippy.

What kind of accuracy do you get?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

AJMD429 wrote:I've always wondered how accurate the "predator" and "varminter" ones are vs. the bull-barrel shorter ones (say 20") - even in the "heavy" configuration, those long barrels just SEEM whippy.

What kind of accuracy do you get?
The Bushamaster Varminter (24") and Predator (20") rifles both have a heavy barrel out to the gas block and are fluted for stiffness.

I just got my Predator last week and am still waiting for rings before scoping and shooting it, so I can't give you accuracy on mine in particular. You can see the Gunblast reviews at:

http://gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm

and

http://gunblast.com/Bushmaster-Predator.htm

Read the Varminter article first, since the Predator is just a variation of it.

Gotta say... the camo AR thing is pretty sexy. Also, though I was expecting the rifle to be a bit front-heavy, its balance is EXCELLENT!
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

shawn_c992001 wrote:Personally I like the "Wylde" chamber on my AR's. It's generally more accurate and allows use of either ammunition.
Bushmaster doesn't call their chamber a "Wylde", they call it a "hybrid". Its the same basic design, though, isn't it?

Haycock
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son has a Bushmaster he's tired of. He figures his 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag is a better deal.

E-mail if you're interested.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Rusty wrote:My son has a Bushmaster he's tired of. He figures his 1894 Marlin in .44 Mag is a better deal.

E-mail if you're interested.
I've got one in .357 that I am quite fond of, but thanks. They play two different overall roles, to my mind.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a Bushmaster M4 on layaway, and I recently purcased a DPMS lower to build another from scratch. I second the need to be sure it has a 5.56 chamber and personally I would stay with a chrome chamber and bore, even though it might not be a accurate.

I uderstand these are promoted as varminter rigs, but Why not offer them with the 4 groove weaver rail on the gas block, so one would at least have the option of flip up sights for backup if wanted. Granted it maynot be needed but one would at least have the option to add a front sight. I was looking at one of the Remingtons at a local gunshop, just last week, and everyone liked the looks of the Remington but were turned off by it not having provisions for a front sight if needed or wanted.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Lastmohecken wrote:I have a Bushmaster M4 on layaway, and I recently purcased a DPMS lower to build another from scratch. I second the need to be sure it has a 5.56 chamber and personally I would stay with a chrome chamber and bore, even though it might not be a accurate.

I uderstand these are promoted as varminter rigs, but Why not offer them with the 4 groove weaver rail on the gas block, so one would at least have the option of flip up sights for backup if wanted. Granted it maynot be needed but one would at least have the option to add a front sight. I was looking at one of the Remingtons at a local gunshop, just last week, and everyone liked the looks of the Remington but were turned off by it not having provisions for a front sight if needed or wanted.
I hear you....... that wasn't enough to keep me from picking the Predator, though, all things considered.