Leverguns South African Safari Part 5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Leverguns South African Safari Part 5

Post by 86er »

The Giraffe:

Mike signed up to shoot a variety of plains game. His purpose was to thoroughly field test both his Cast Performance Bullets and his .500 Linebaugh Grizzly cartridges. On the plane the discussions hit upon the various animals and the fact that none in particular seemed a fitting challenge for the 525 grain bullet travelling 1150 fps from the 5" Hamilton Bowen handgun. Towards the middle of the second day of safari, Mike reviewed a list of animals available in the area and his focus immediately went to the Giraffe. Although this one animal would basically tap out his week-long budget the Giraffe was it. Mike told everyone the 500 Linebaugh with these loads proved 50 inches of penetration in media at the Linebaugh Seminar. Mike said he has an obligation to his customers to conduct real life testing with his bullets and ammunition so the consumer knows what to expect. We all agreed that no test media could equate real flesh and bone. Mike also stipulated that he did not want to hunt a Giraffe for the sake of killing it, but preferred to focus on a particular Giraffe that a landowner might want to remove from the herd for management reasons. The first day had all of us searching for a black Giraffe that was estimated to be 22 years old and was suffering from some sort of exema on the neck. 15 hours later we had only spotted the Giraffe three times from a distance. The next day we hunted on Ken Plessisis ranch. He had a Giraffe bull that he thought was past its prime and not contributing to the herd. Ken ought to know, at 72 years old his girlfriend is 29 and their son is 5! Several hours later the Giraffe was spotted. We made a stalk through the brush as close as we could, not easy since the Big G has an aerial view. At 52 yards on the Leica rangefinder, Mike aimed in for a heart shot and squeezed off a round. A distinct Whoomp was heard and the Big G started running. A giraffes stride is 15 feet + in a run, so the next hundred yard were covered in an instant. Incredibly, Mike shot 3 times in less than 3 seconds and hit the great beast each time. Mike says he lead the Giraffe by 6 feet on the last shot. 100 yards out, the Giraffe swayed and Mike asked to put a rifle bullet into it for the sake of mercy considering the distance. One rifle shot was fired and the Spotted Giant actually ran closer to us where Mike sent a final 525 gr bullet from the mighty 500, killing the giraffe. When the huge animal hit the ground it sounded like a car wreck! Ken told us this Giraffe was 17 years old. It was 27 feet tall and weighed 3500 pounds!

We were all surprised to learn that the 500 Linebaugh bullets only achieved around 20 inches of penetration. The skin was measured at 5/8 inch thick! The bones are solid, not hollow like most mammals. The rifle bullet penetrated 23" without hitting any bone. Most of the handgun bullets were smeared, chipped and flattened! (These are premium hard cast bullets!)

It took 20 people over 3 hours to dismember the Giraffe. The skin alone weighed almost 700 pounds! One of Mike's shots just barely penetrated the heart - which weighed nearly 30 pounds!

Mike is going to upholster a couch and chairs with the skin. I thought I'd try it out first:

An awesome trophy!

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Now that is cool.

A great animal taken for all the right reasons. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

most kewl, thanks for the post. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I would be interested in where the 4 shots hit.
Never seen an animal field dressed with a chain saw either :)

Excellent job, 20 inches of penetration!
What was the rifle cartridge that went 23?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Awesome! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks like a justifiably proud hunter! Good shootin'! That will make one unique living room set! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That is one huge animal. So cool.
30 pound heart wow.
Did you guys eat any of the Giraffe?
700 pound skin That is going to be some heavy furniture.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Cool 8) !Giraffe bone also makes nice grip panel material.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Leverguns South African Safari Part 5

Post by KirkD »

86er wrote:We were all surprised to learn that the 500 Linebaugh bullets only achieved around 20 inches of penetration. ... The rifle bullet penetrated 23" without hitting any bone.
The rifle bullet only penetrated 3" more .... can you give us any details on the rifle? (caliber, bullet weight, load). It would make an interesting comparison.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The rifle was a 375 H&H with 270 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. The big difference is that the rifle bullet made a perfect, long shaft mushroom but the hard cast were all messed up.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Had no idea a giraffe was that tough.
Soild bone and a 5/8 thick hide, 3500 pounds.
Wow!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

WOW! That is alot of animal. I've seen Mike shoot his revolver and he is remarkable. Good job Mike.
Ricky

DWWC
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Fantastic story. I have to wonder if one of Kely's Belt Moutain Punch Bullets in the 500 might have done better. I also would have prefered a 300 grain Barnes bullet in the H&H. I've heard from a reliable source they work well on Cape Buff. Mike is a stand-up guy and his Grizzly Cartridges are awesome. I'm enjoying all your posts on the safari! :)

-Tutt