OT: My New Charcoal Burner's Not A Bar-B-Q (PICS ADDED)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

OT: My New Charcoal Burner's Not A Bar-B-Q (PICS ADDED)

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been involved, one way or another, in blackpowder/muzzleloading since the late 60's - with all sorts of percussion arms.

My first foray was a pistol I built from a chunk of cut-off .444 barrel, then various boughten junk until I got edikated (?) & upgraded myself to T/C's and such, using a modern inline nowadays.

Wal, yesterday, I stopped by one of the local pushers to buy some 4198, and spotted a pretty nice-lookin' blackpowder rifle, just hanging around. :wink:

The shop owner & I know each other pretty well, so he tole me ta take it on home & bring something back in trade later (knowing I was out of gun funds).

So, I did both, later taking back an unused Remington P51, and ended up with a .50 cal Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle, with a 1" X 32" octagon barrel carrying a 1:28 twist for conicals - but it's a FLINTLOCK !- My first ! :roll:

I couldn't get any spark, dry-snapping, at first - so I flipped the flint, and VOILA ! Spark-O-Matic City.

It's a traditional-looking rifle, much like a gennie Hawken - albeit with only a single forend fastener & a stainless touch-hole liner - but has the set triggers, a silver front sight w/full buckhorn rear, a butt w/cheekpiece & a crescent BP like a Pennsylvania rifle. The entire rifle has a muted, satin (almost matte) finish.

With that fast twist, I'll be able to use most of the components on hand that my inline uses, so I'm looking forward to making some smoke soon.

I haven't tried any pics, because I don't think it'll photograph well - given my poor camera skills and the dark wood stain, metal browning, and iron furniture. Maybe I'll try it next week, when the rain's due to clear up - and see how the pics come out.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nice score Pete.....I like the style of the Austin and Halleck rifles(no longer made). Post a pic when you can.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Cool! :D

I'm looking for my first front stuffer and debating between a flintlock or percussion.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Those Austin and Halleck Moutain Rifles are nice. YOU GOT TO SHOW US SOME PICS SOON! :shock:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I'm looking for my first front stuffer and debating between a flintlock or percussion.]

JMO, awp - but a caplock , especially one with some sort of primer ignition (rifle/pistol/209) conversion, is dead-nuts reliable, with usually zero weather probs. Those are real plusses for anyone, but moreso for a first-timer.

Spark-O-Matic's can be made to be very reliable, but they're more for a dedicated tinkerer-type, that like to solve problems - like the "no spark" issue I had(above), the first time I snapped this one's lock.
Some states, like Pennsy, require them for their primitive wepons seasons, though.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:[I'm looking for my first front stuffer and debating between a flintlock or percussion.]

JMO, awp - but a caplock , especially one with some sort of primer ignition (rifle/pistol/209) conversion, is dead-nuts reliable, with usually zero weather probs. Those are real plusses for anyone, but moreso for a first-timer.
Now where's the fun in that? :lol:

I'm thinking traditional like a Musketoon or Baker replica. :D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[a Musketoon or Baker replica.]

Be sure to find a set of accessory wheels for those puppies. :wink: :mrgreen:
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Black powder

Post by Mutt »

My son is the only one I know that is into the flint lock rifles . Several years back he bought one in Ark. some from a man that builds them .
He and his wife both are into the mountain man game. They both love the sport . And do most of the costumes themselves.
Than rifle is almost to heavy to hold up . But Me I know nothing about it or the sport but looks like fun

Mutt :D
I agree , PICTURES................................................................. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool - congratulations! 8) I'm looking forward for the sun to come out around your parts so you can snap some photos! :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I haven't tried any pics, because I don't think it'll photograph well - given my poor camera skills and the dark wood stain, metal browning, and iron furniture.
We'll take that under consideration and not hold it a gainst you.

Go ahead and get those pics!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It stopped raining fer a little bit.

Marked: "Made in Provo, Utah", I have read that the barrels on these were hammer/mandrel forged, inside (bore/rifling) and outside (octagonal flats) at the same time.

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:P :P :P That is super nice Peteand thanks for posting those! If you have trouble getting English flints, there is a guy named Rich Pierce at americanlongrifles.com that knapps Missouri flint....supposedly very good. He has a sticky in the Items for sale section.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thank you, Kind Sir ! :)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

VERY nice!:D What kind of wood?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Drool alert! Drool ALERT!!!

That is one fine smokepole!!! :D :D :D
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

somebody call the police - I think there's been a theft....

Wow, $250? Man...

You know that if you don't take a shine to that flint it can most likely be converted to percussion just by replacing the hammer and installing a drum/nipple in the flash hole.... and you can sell the hammer and lock and probably come out money ahead...

I did that with my Pedersoli kentucky rifle.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful lines, beautiful rifle. Lucky man. Enjoy.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks, Gents. :oops: The wood's Maple, IIRC - and I'm sure looking forward to giving it a spin, Tuesday, at my club. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete, that sure is a looker! Hope she shoots as well! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's purrrrrrrdy! :mrgreen:
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Flint locks can be down right as miserable as a mother-in-law ... but ... they are absolutely wonderfully adicting. I only this past fall bought a percussion after 35 years of nothing but flinters. I wanted to play around with sabots and the like and needed the type of rifling in the percussion rifle.

Congrats ... you'll love/hate it!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beautiful wood!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Wow, $250? Man... ]

Not quite. :oops: I had $250 in the gun I traded - but it was worth much more..............and, I certainly didn't clue in the dealer I was swapping with, what I had into it.
I figure - He's the one in the gun business, and ought to know what he's doing. :mrgreen:

That said, the A&H was tagged @ $400 (flinters are not very popular in this state/area), and the dealer accepted my trade-in, tuit suite - a sure sign he thought my trade's true value was about 50% over his retail tag (or, about $600), to "allow" me the $400 towards an even swap.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Excellent buy! Even at $400 it would have been an excellent deal. If I am not mistaken, they are no longer in buisness and the last time I checked, a nice one would run you about $800. Your gonna have to let us all know where you do your gun shopping!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Meh. What' s the fun in a caplock?

My only Cappers are pistols... allbeit honkin big ones. (.72 Double & .50 Single)

OTOH, My Flinter is "Modern Traditional"... a totally Stainless Steel & Black Plastic Frankenstein that is waaay too cool.

It's still a tinkerer's toy, but a least it don't rust...

My biggest gripe is the Frizzen. I really need to find one that will work properly with somthing other than a $4 cut Agate "flint".

EDIT: BTW: that's a very pretty gun. Funny how all my "modern" guns have decent wood and my "antiques" are Stainless EBRs.... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That's purrrrrrrdy!
I'll say!!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That is a fine rifle!! It looks like an example of their early work.
They made a name for themselfs early on and were written up in many magazines. They started to get so many orders they just out grew ther britches and started turning out stuff. I had one of those not so nice rifles altough it cost as much as the early ones. I donated it to my gun club as a raffle item.
A&H soon got in trouble and was closed. They reorganized a time or two and I have no idea what their status is today. They seemed to want to make bolt action inlines and not the traditionals so I lost interest in them.
Have fun and enjoy! :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Pete44ru that is a nice rocklock and a steal at $250 :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks for the kind words, all !

Well, I shot the Austin & Halleck flinter, at my club this morning - and I'm a happy camper, to say the least !

I snapped a few pans of primer, with the unloaded rifle, and both I and my companion thought the spark seemed a little weak - although the pan charge ignited.
So, I put in a brand-new flint, and loaded 'er up!

I measured out a 90gr charge of Goex FFFG, then seated the same Hornady 300gr, .45 caliber saboted polymer-tipped jacketed bullet, I've used on deer for the last year +/-.

I threw a half-pan of the same FFFG as a priming charge, closed the frizzen, went to full cock, set the trigger, and let 'er rip.

I got a nice, solid shot, with virtually instant ignition.
I really didn't even notice the pan flash until after the bullet was long gone.

Shooting at 50yds, I was using the silver front blade in bright sunlight with the issue full buckhorn rear - which was sighting almost like a peep sight for me.

My first three shots made a nice 1 1/2" group, about 3" to the right of the center bull and about 2" high.
Wow - I didn't expect that from a flinter.

These flinters seem less problematic, igniting the main charge, than did the side-hammer percussions I used to use before switching to inlines for hunting.
Most likely due to the straight shot from the pan to the main charge, ILO around the corners inside bolsters, erratic caps, etc,

I tapped the rear sight over a little, to zero it 2" high @ 50yds, for now.
As I get my paws on some other type projectiles, besides the Maxi-Hunters (that I forgot to bring, DUH), I'll see how it likes them - but IMO it's gonna be a hard act to follow.

I had to put the flinter away, after that, to help two shooting compadre's with zeroing their guns - but I'll probably go to the club again later this week.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

OHMUHGAWD!!!!!! What a sweeeeeeeet rifle, even tho I'm a perc fan. You will SURELY get your deer, bear, hog, etc..........with that fine piece of craftsmanship!!!! WHAT A FIND! YEAH, DROOL ALERT IN SPADES!!! jd45
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I converted a percussion to flint for a friend awhile back, using mostly handtools. I decided I would do it on one of mine (the one that same friend gave me, a 50 cal Hawkin) when I got a lathe.

I'm getting my new lathe set up this week.

Your rifle is making me itch a little.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Oh ! That itch. (sigh) I know it well. :wink: :mrgreen: