New to me Winchester 92 25-20 SRC, needs a ring (pics added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

New to me Winchester 92 25-20 SRC, needs a ring (pics added)

Post by FatJackDurham »

Hi guys, it's been a while. I just bought my first actual Winchester levergun, an 1909-10 model 1892 saddle ring carbine in 25-20 for $700. I had a question. It's missing the actual ring, but it has a the staple.

I see the rings for sale on Ebay and I wondered if I should get one and bend it on. Or, if anyone here has an authentic ring they could sell. But I wanted it ask, what is the etiquette? Is it kosher to do that, to try to restore the missing part with an authentic part?

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Last edited by FatJackDurham on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to me Winchester 92 25-20 SRC, needs a ring

Post by Pete44ru »

FatJackDurham wrote:
I see the rings for sale on Ebay and I wondered if I should get one and bend it on.

But I wanted it ask, what is the etiquette?

Is it kosher to do that, to try to restore the missing part with an authentic part?

Sure it's OK - the process is "restoration", and is admirable when OEM parts are used.

However, before the ring is installed in the staple, I would suggest matching it's finish to the receiver's, then tie a short leather thong onto the ring to keep it from scratching the receiver & making noise when the gun is moved (like during a hunt).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: New to me Winchester 92 25-20 SRC, needs a ring

Post by Malamute »

If you get a replacement ring, you may try aging it by carrying it in your pocket with keys etc for a few weeks or months until it matches your gun finish better.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New to me Winchester 92 25-20 SRC, needs a ring (pics ad

Post by gregg »

:D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'd replace the ring in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. As for aging it, depends on my attitude at the moment. Lever thong ... never.

Query; Ive never seen a Winchester SRC with a rifle style magazine hanger. Is this for real?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I see that you're added some pics, since I posted earlier - I like the original look/condition !

Your Carbine has IMHO loads of "character" - much more attractive to me than a restored example.

I find the Rifle (model) style magazine hanger on a Carbine (model) rather odd, too - what's the measured barrel length (downbore against the closed bolt) ?

Since the sights appear to be correct for a Carbine (model), I'd inspect the bottom of the barrel adjacent to the rear of the front sight for a sign of a small crossway groove to accept a barrel band cross-screw/pin.
If the groove's there, then the magazine hanger might be an expedient repair; if the groove's not there, the hanger "might" have been a special order.

(Don't forget, in those days, Winchester would readily do whatever a customer ordered for their gun)

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Pete44ru wrote:. I find the Rifle (model) style magazine hanger on a Carbine (model) rather odd, too - what's the measured barrel length (downbore against the closed bolt) ?

Since the sights appear to be correct for a Carbine (model), I'd inspect the bottom of the barrel adjacent to the rear of the front sight for a sign of a small crossway groove to accept a barrel band cross-screw/pin.
If the groove's there, then the magazine hanger might be an expedient repair; if the groove's not there, the hanger "might" have been a special order...

The 32-20 and 25-20 carbines had rifle type magazine rings as standard. Its an instant tell on the caliber, indicating the smaller bores.

I always thought them odd looking, but they've grown on me over time.
Last edited by Malamute on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:I'd replace the ring in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. As for aging it, depends on my attitude at the moment. Lever thong ... never.

Query; Ive never seen a Winchester SRC with a rifle style magazine hanger. Is this for real?

Joe
Joe, if you can lay hands on your copy of The Winchester Book, its full of obscure details about every imaginable thing on Winchesters.

And Fat Jack, very nice old carbine!

FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Malamute wrote:
J Miller wrote:I'd replace the ring in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. As for aging it, depends on my attitude at the moment. Lever thong ... never.

Joe
Joe, if you can lay hands on your copy of The Winchester Book, its full of obscure details about every imaginable thing on Winchesters.
Thanks Malamute,

Joe,

I wondered the same thing. I have seen two different sets of Winchester SRCs in doing research for this. Some had two barrel bands with a site fixed to the barrel, others had this rifle magazine hanger and only one band. I imagine it was either a change at a point in time or an optional feature. I have seen some with a short magazine, and I wondered if it was done after the fact, and if so, did they do anything about the hanger dove tail.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

FatJackDurham wrote:
Malamute wrote:

Joe
Thanks Malamute,

Joe,

I wondered the same thing. I have seen two different sets of Winchester SRCs in doing research for this. Some had two barrel bands with a site fixed to the barrel, others had this rifle magazine hanger and only one band. I imagine it was either a change at a point in time or an optional feature. I have seen some with a short magazine, and I wondered if it was done after the fact, and if so, did they do anything about the hanger dove tail.

Its my understanding from seeing older guns and looking at resources, that if Winchester did a shorter magazine tube on a gun from the factory, they used a barrel that didn't have the magazine ring cut, or in the case of a carbine, no cross slot for the forward barrel band screw nor the hole for the tip of the magazine cap screw. I may be mistaken, but I believe they were blank on factory half magazine guns,

Factory shorter magazines should have a domed cap instead of a flat magazine cap. I'm not up to speed on the nub on the side of the domed caps and slot in the barrel to help retain the cap, vs the screw through the cap like the regular caps and not the nub and slot arrangement and what years and/or models/calibers the different methods were used.

I think I understood your meaning of the last post, but yes, the 32-20 and 25-20 carbines had rings like rifles, not as a general change of all carbines, just the small bores.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only time they lacked the mag ring on short mags was the button or ½ mag, where pretty much the mag cap was the only thing sticking out past the forend. The ¾- or full mag used the ring; on "rifles". I never knew about the rings on 25- or 32-20 carbines. Is the mag tube smaller?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm not sure exactly why. Madis may have mentioned a reason in his book, but I don't recall what it was if he did. I can check next week.

Could possibly be both mag tube and barrel are skinnier. Rather than make an entirely new small front band, they could just use the same ring they used on rifles of the smaller caliber.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:

Joe

Malamute,

Thanks for the reminder about the Winchester book. Unfortunately all my shooting stuff is still packed away from the move and I have no idea where my books are.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:
Malamute wrote:

Joe

Malamute,

Thanks for the reminder about the Winchester book. Unfortunately all my shooting stuff is still packed away from the move and I have no idea where my books are.

Joe

Bummer Joe. This is one of the very things that would have me flipping through the pages of my copy looking for obscure details of various models. There would be a number of pictures of about everything imaginable also.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Congratulations, Steve. I just got my October "Blue Press" from the Dillon folks, and dang if the fine young lady on the cover isn't packing your carbine over her shoulder, complete with the nicely aged ring you must have found for it. Did you get a little payment for supplying the prop?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

earlmck wrote:Congratulations, Steve. I just got my October "Blue Press" from the Dillon folks, and dang if the fine young lady on the cover isn't packing your carbine over her shoulder, complete with the nicely aged ring you must have found for it. Did you get a little payment for supplying the prop?
Funny that you wrote that. While looking at the front cover, it took me ten minutes to realize that she was even holding a gun.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello FatJack,

Congrats on your first Winchester. I remember when I had just one. Then another 100 or so kept showing up. Be careful it can be an addiction.

All of the 25-20 and 32 WCF caliber saddle ring carbines which have a full length magazine do use the "rifle style magazine retaining ring which is dovetailed into the underside of the barrel. All of the 38 and 44 WCF saddle ring carbines with full length magazines had a full barrel band which surround the barrel and magazine. As previously note this difference make it quite simple to differentiate the small and large caliber SRC's. All full length magazine have a flat end cap. On the early production small caliber guns (both SRC's and sporting rifles) the magazine has an addition small tab which fits into a groove cut into the underside of the barrel. Full length, large caliber magazines never had that tab style end cap. Any magazine shorter than a full length did have a rounded or button end cap for any caliber.

Can I please get the serial number of your rifle so that I can add it into a research survey which I am conducting on the Model 1892's? To date I have data on just over 9,200 individual rifles. You can email it to me 2bitrifles@gmail.com Here is a link about it: http://winchestercollector.org/forum/wi ... le-survey/

Thanks so much and I hope this helps.
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations