D-Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

D-Day

Post by 2ndovc »

From General Eisenhower, D-Day.

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

D-Day + 26,280 days.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: D-Day

Post by Sixgun »

My bud at Targetmaster were talking about that yesterday, over sips of Crown Royal. What a feeling that must have been.......to be in a landing craft, the door drops, bullets whizzing all over.....and the only thing you can do is run towards more bullets.

What a sacrifice those boys made.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One Uncle was in Patton's Second Armored Division. He was Infantry. Uncle Homer said that the seawater was still pink on D plus 3. A whole lot of those men made the ultimate sacrifice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Sixgun wrote:My bud at Targetmaster were talking about that yesterday, over sips of Crown Royal. What a feeling that must have been.......to be in a landing craft, the door drops, bullets whizzing all over.....and the only thing you can do is run towards more bullets.

What a sacrifice those boys made.-----6
May we never forget as a nation; may God bless the families of those brave men who risked or gave it all for our Liberty, and that of others.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

My daughter sent me this one...

I was very glad to hear she had shared it with all her friends and Fcbk contacts (who probably aren't as in tune with the bold sacrifices made by the few for the benefit of the many...)
Day At The Beach.jpg
Remember and Honor All Vets!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

and todays PC administration would not let him say "great crusade' or mention the blessing of Almighty God.
cable
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

And there was the other note Ike carried in his pocket...

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

That's how it's done by men.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

72 years ago today, my dad was going through basic training near Little Rock, Ark. He always remembered D-Day was the day he learned you don't fire a rifle grenade from an M1 while in the prone position. He carried that 1/2 moon scar in his right eyebrow for the rest of his life.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I visited Normandy post-deployment (such as it was) in 2008.

I visited in the morning, at low tide, just as when the landings occurred, though I was there in March.

I walked down to the waterline, got down to grunt level (3 inches above the sand) and looked up towards the rest of France.

Every little bump was a fighting position on those cliffs, you could still see the trenchlines for communications trenches, and obviously all the bigger bunkers. I was a machine-gunner then, carried an M240 and an M249 for much of 3 years whenever needed.

How anyone got off those beaches alive, even under naval gunfire and air support, is most definitely a miracle.

Utah beach was slightly "less bad" in that the fighting positions didn't look down from so high up, but any of the beaches (US, British or Canadian) had to be hell on earth. I understand the Brits didn't have it quite so bad on one beach, but anyone who went ashore in the first 3 or 4 waves had a pair so big you'd need a wheelbarrow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

D-Day .... my dad was a sailor on an LST. He was there. Never talked about his service when he and mom were married. Sadly he died before I could get together with him later.

Joe = son of a squid
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J Miller wrote:D-Day .... my dad was a sailor on an LST. He was there. Never talked about his service when he and mom were married. Sadly he died before I could get together with him later.

Joe = son of a squid
Well, Joe, he may never have wanted to share anything that horrific, anyway. Telling is reliving it.

I honor your father, and others mentioned here.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

GOD BLESS THEM ALL.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JohndeFresno wrote:
J Miller wrote:D-Day .... my dad was a sailor on an LST. He was there. Never talked about his service when he and mom were married. Sadly he died before I could get together with him later.

Joe = son of a squid
Well, Joe, he may never have wanted to share anything that horrific, anyway. Telling is reliving it.

I honor your father, and others mentioned here.
I understand that now. When last I saw him (1964) I didn't. I've done a heap of growing since.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm surprised that our POtuS didn't go on vacation to Germany for a photo-op so he could apologize for our 'invading' Europe back then. . . :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

my uncle got two amphibians shot out from under him at Normandy...he survived and went on to end up in Germany for the end of the war.

my dad was in North Africa at the time...

neither would talk of what they went thru...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

PriseDeFer wrote:And there was the other note Ike carried in his pocket...

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

That's how it's done by men.
Such a contrast to the so-called leaders of today, who can't blame everyone else fast enough!

My uncle was in the 29th, 116th Division, and hit Omaha the first day. Lots of his friends never made it to the beach, or off it. I'm not sure our country would be capable of such a needed sacrifice today. :cry:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:I'm surprised that our POtuS didn't go on vacation to Germany for a photo-op so he could apologize for our 'invading' Europe back then. . . :roll:
Me too! :evil:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I think the Brits have a song that pretty much spells it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_KeeKs1SnE
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Reagan did go to Germany & laid a wreath at a SS graveyard back in may 85
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY