Cast Performance Bullets in .45 Colt Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Cast Performance Bullets in .45 Colt Rifle

Post by Hawkins »

Howdy! Does anyone have experience using Cast Performance brand bullets in a .45 Colt rifle? These are the ones sold by Grizzly cartridge company. I have a box of their 325 grain plain base (no gas check) bullets, and I'm worried if they will cause leading at 1300 - 1400 feet per second. I'm using them in a 16" Rossi 92. I know there are a lot of variables involved, but I was just wondering in general if these might be OK going that fast, or if I should use one of their gas check designs.

Thanks!

Hawkins
Last edited by Hawkins on Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Cast Performance Bullets in .45 Colt Rifle

Post by Les Staley »

Hawkins, slug your bore, try for a thousandth over bore diameter, lube with alox/Johnson's one step floor wax 50/50 with a lyman #2 alloy or clip on wheel weights. Plain base should be okay at those velocities. Casting is a whole nuther hobby. By the way, 325 gr @ 1300-1400 fps? How big of an old boy are you?
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, if they don't fill the grooves, doesn't matter how slow you drive 'em, they'll lead up the bore. That's up there in 454 Casull load range.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I pushed 325s from my 7 1/2" FA Casual @ 1700 fps..
Those same slugs exited my 24" .454 rifle @ 2100 fps..
I saw little difference between GC and PB bullets, as far as leading..
I've fired thousands of CPB slugs over the past decades..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Tutt gave me some 360s that clocked 1350 from a 20" Rossi. Recoil felt like a shotgun in that rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with the .45 caliber bullets, but experience with other calibers from CPB. I will use them again.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Thanks for all the comments! I definitely won't be casting my own--can hardly keep up with the reloading as is! I've had good luck with the Cast Performance gas check bullets in 45-70. I had these plain base bullets on hand, so just wanted to get an idea if it was worth trying a few. Size is .452, which has worked well with other bullets in this rifle at lower velocities. I'm sure recoil will be a bit more than factory, especially with a light rifle and steel butt. But I'll load some up and see how it goes. Thanks again,

Hawkins
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just make sure your cartridge overall length will allow your Rossi to cycle properly..
You may have to cut the carrier stop back just a bit, if the noses on your CPB bullets are a mite too long..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Buck Elliott wrote:Just make sure your cartridge overall length will allow your Rossi to cycle properly..
You may have to cut the carrier stop back just a bit, if the noses on your CPB bullets are a mite too long..
Good advice. I ran into an overall length issue with 425 grain LBT style bullets in my .480 caliber model 92. I had to do just what Buck says.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeez, I am no expert here at all, and Buck and I are friends, and I actually shot that rifle of his. In my own personal experience if you slugged your bore and your PB bullets are a tad over that, you will be fine at 1300-1400 fps.

I believe the loads I gave to Fred were gas checked using Cast Performance bullets before Mike R. bought the company. Those bullets, loaded under higher pressure, really worked well in his Rossi. They obturated beautifully and made his Puma very accurate. Personally, I shoot my Puma 454 at 2000-2100 fps with a 300 grain load like Buck but only because I have a lengthened case by 0.1 and feed ability thanks to McPherson. Mine has a premium recoil pad and mercury tube, and has never bothered me with recoil.

The velocities I see in 454 Casull in a handgun and rifle are very close to what Buck sees, but I don't own a FA handgun, its only in my Taurus RB and modified Rossi Puma in 454, with a longer case. But I'm right behind him in revolver and equal to him in rifle and while differences in pistol are significant, differences in rifle are not.

Buck knows what he is doing and I trust him.

Here's a good read on the subject:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_10_GCkorPB.htm

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel