UPDATE- AGAIN - "Blued" 94 - didn't turn purple

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

UPDATE- AGAIN - "Blued" 94 - didn't turn purple

Post by oldgerboy »

Today I saw a Winchester 94 that didn't turn purple when blued.

A little history ... About two months ago an individual wanted their 94 blued. The dealer the individual went to brings his repair work to the shop where I help at on weekends. The guy was warned by the dealer and by us that the action would turn some shade of purple. He said to go ahead. True to form, everything came out great except for the action. We returned it to the dealer who gave it to the customer. The man paid for it but came back about two weeks later and complained. The short version ... the dealer had gone hunting in Canada and while there learned about a place in Kansas that could put a non-purple finish on the action. The dealer contacted the place and ...

Today the dealer brought the rifle to us to put together ... although the finish was matted, it was not purple. It is not a traditional bluing process but can be matted or shiny. The shade matched our blue on the rest of the rifle perfectly ... except for the matting.

The place has been bought by someone in the past few weeks but still does the work. The address and phone number I have is:

Paul Salchow
Simmons Gun Repair and Sales
700 South Rogers Road
Olathe, Kansas 66062
(913) 782-3131 :?
Last edited by oldgerboy on Sat May 10, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Did you get any pics?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Sorry, but no I didn't have the camera at work. It will still be there next weekend so if I remember to take my camera I'll get some. Maybe there is a member here that is near the place or can get us more info.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure, he rust blued it.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The dealer told me they used some other type finish that mimics the "blue". I can't verify that.

Sixgun, I know we have covered this here before but how long would the rust blue have taken. The turn-around time was just a few days.

I know my info is not rock solid but it is all I have. I was hoping someone from that area could check it out.

I also have heard that bluing tanks set up for stainless can blue the 94's OK. Maybe that is how they do it. The blue our shop ends up with is a dark almost black type blue and they matched it.

I'll try to get more info next weekend.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

oldgerboy,
If the turn around time was only a few days, then it was not rust-blue. Working steady, its at a minimun of a week to ten days. It can be rushed a bit with a humidy box but you still have to let each coat set up a day or so after boiling--to do the job right-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Post '64 to '82 scintered steel won't take a "rust blue". 'Tis another process entirely. VERY few others have replicated it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

This NEEDS updated. The guys at the shop were putting the 94 together today and discovered ALL internal dimentions were messed up. This process is some type of coating and they apparently dipped it since the inside is coated.

They can't get the parts back in ... the coating closed up all the tolerances.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

It appears to be powder coated. They scraped a bunch of powder out of it. I'll have more on this as the week goes on.

Until I get more info, I would advise anyone to avoid that business and their process for firearms use.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

oldgerboy wrote:It appears to be powder coated.
Well, I guess "if it's sounds too good to be true..." fits here. I was anxious(sp) to here what had been done to it. Oh well. :? Thanks for the update.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

We finally found out what they used on the 94 ... regular old Duracoat from Brownells. Jake called them ... their reply ... "we had to paint the whole thing. It was only 3 thousandths of an inch thick"

Jakes reply to them was nor ever will be printable ... it was not kind and the term "blue" would definitely apply.

He basically explained the concepts of operating tolerances and masking off areas.

It took many hours to get the rifle cleaned up, together, and operable.

My only comment concerns their concept of .003 ... they apparently use a yard stick to measure with.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Sounds like someone got what they paid for.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein