Is a 336 Texan fine, too?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Is a 336 Texan fine, too?

Post by Panzercat »

Anything noteworthy about this particular model of marlin? More or less comfortable to shoulder? Quirks?
The one I'm looking at is being offered up in 30-30. I don't think Remlin has a modern equivalent, so I'm assuming it's a JM stamp.

I don't see many of them being offered out there, so i'm kinda curious.
What say you?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is a 336 Texan fine, too?

Post by TedH »

Very desirable model. If the price is close to reasonable, I'd snag it.
NRA Life Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

had one years ago & wish I still had it!!

Brad
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Just my opinion; If I choose a lever gun for hunting, I want a lightening fast handling lightweight firearm. I don't sweat the small velocity loss from a shorter barrel, in a cartridge like the 30-30 or 35 Rem, it's a slight increase at best between a 20 and 16 barrel. If I wanted a long range gun, I'd go with a bolt and a 28"barrel, with a cartridge that would benefit from the increased length and weight. A Texan is an ideal brush gun. If you hunt under a 150 yards, you can't do any better. 8)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Texans , a real one, is highly collectable. They are very seldome found for sale. Those who are lucky enough to own one don't let them go.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Sorry its upside down. Not my pic and im at work.
Having never owned onei assume its the genuine article?

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I traded a Marlin 336W ( the model with the hardwood stocks) for this in 2009. I never was really sure this was a Texan, but I called it that even though it isn't marked "Texan". It was made in 1975. From what I could read, it matched the description of one. I always liked the square lever model. Its a 30-30 with a 20" bbl.
Were they ever marked, Texan? This thread made me wonder...... :|

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Ha! Count on leverguns to deliver after a fashion--
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8392
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Daisyman wrote:I traded a Marlin 336W ( the model with the hardwood stocks) for this in 2009. I never was really sure this was a Texan, but I called it that even though it isn't marked "Texan". It was made in 1975. From what I could read, it matched the description of one. I always liked the square lever model. Its a 30-30 with a 20" bbl.
Were they ever marked, Texan? This thread made me wonder...... :|

To the best of my knowledge none of the 336T be it 30-30 , 35 or 44 MAG were marked "Texan" and the 444 first models that were marked 444T while referred to as a Texan were never marked as such . And further more for what it's worth the only 444T's that are marked were made in either 1971 or 1972 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Thanks to all for the good information. I read that whole attachment and I wonder if O.S.O.C. ever got an answer from Marlin on his rifle. :?:

Irv
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Annnd so much for that.

Guy got a bit too greedy for his own good. He valued his Marlin at $500 and specifically listed interest in a trade for a Mini 14. I just happen to have a LEO Mini 14 that I bought for $500. Figure I'm being fair not only giving him what he wants, but not inflating the price on it either. Besides, I'm willing to bet he didn't pay $500 for that marlin back when, so it's a good deal for everybody. GUESS NOT.

Asks why i'm selling it. Fair enough question and I'm an honest guy... Apparently my first mistake. I have another at home. He makes some comment about it probably being the nicer of the two and I admit not really. While it's stainless, they're roughly the same condition. Next I get an email saying he's a bit more interested in the stainless... Which he's not going to get unless he's got a stainless marlin hiding away somewhere. This is a 1:1 exchange and I advise him of such politely. Now I'm getting this feeling the guy is a greedy flake and he goes on and proves it the next day he's supposed to come take a look at it. Now he's wondering the estimated value of my rifle (Seriously? Do your own research!) and again, I'm nice, maybe feeling something for a fellow levergunner. it's $500. (By now my wife is raking me over the coals for being too forthright) He then proceeds to ask me about extra mags, which as anybody looking for them knows, aren't cheap. Nope, only have the mag that came with it. Besides, if I had more they wouldn't be free and he should know I have another rifle to give those mags too if I did.

He hung up with some excuse about his family designed to string the process along.
My next email to him listed it as sold for my asking price of $650.

...shakes head.