It's not indefinite

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

It's not indefinite

Post by TedH »

It's claimed that the Ackley Improved chambers are easier on brass and extend case life. While that may be true, it's not not a reason to ignore cases after a few firings. I don't know exactly how many times this case was loaded in my 30-30AI, it has had at least 5 or 6 trips through the sizing die. I inspected the rest of the cases out of this box of 20 after returning from the range, and every single one was starting to seperate, visible on the inside. This one obviously.

NRA Life Member
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Re: It's not indefinite

Post by rbertalotto »

Strange with a case that headspaces on the rim.......
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

On second thought, if you do indeed have a headspace problem, the Ackley will exacerbate the issue as the nearly straight sides of the case will grip the chamber better as PO Ackley proved many years ago. Then the base of the case moves back against the breach...and you have a stretched case.

I'd put a layer of electrical tape on the base of a case and see if the action closes to rule out a headspace issue.

If this is being fired in a Thompson Contender I'd bet dollars to donuts a stretched frame.........

If you find it is indeed a headspace problem, i'd seat bullets out when fire forming to force the case back against the breach and from that point on I'd only neck size and let the case headspace on the shoulder rather than the rim.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

^^^ Good plan ^^^
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Yes, it is possible that you have a headspace issue Ted. But my guess is that your loads are pushing the pressure envelope, which in our somewhat springy lever actions will result in those head separations even when headspace is not particularly excessive.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A little epoxy will seal that crack right up... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wasn't searching for an explaination, I was just showing that even AI cases can wear out. The rifle doesn't have any headspace issues, as I reamed the AI chamber myself and a single .003" thick layer of tape on the case headstamp won't allow the bolt to close without resistance. I don't fully resize the cases either, I leave the sizing die backed off the shell holder a half turn so I'm not pushing the shoulder back. I'm not sure where the pressure would come in, but my load is 2 grains over max 30-30 data, with 38.0 gr. of RL15, so it's not extreme.
NRA Life Member
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ted, have you had that many loadings with any other brands of brass?

Brad
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm terrible at keeping track of how many times I load a case, so I can't say for sure, but I'd think so.
NRA Life Member
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

TedH wrote:I wasn't searching for an explaination, I was just showing that even AI cases can wear out. I'm not sure where the pressure would come in, but my load is 2 grains over max 30-30 data, with 38.0 gr. of RL15, so it's not extreme.
Right you are, Ted. QL thinks that would give you 44K psi and 2400 fps (150 grain Sierra) so just a good full-power load. I shoot so few full-power loads in my 30's that I had forgot the cases might eventually give out. You are giving us a good reminder!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Perhaps an ever so slight irregularity in the chamber at the point of the split? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:Perhaps an ever so slight irregularity in the chamber at the point of the split? :?
You rippin on my reaming work? :lol:
NRA Life Member
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Bumping the shoulder back to far on resizing ? Even though the case headspaces on the rim, your sizing die may be bumping the shoulder back more than necessary. Back the sizing die off in the reloading press and see if it will chamber. Keep going until it won't then bring it back in to the proper amount until it will , plus half a turn.

Essentially working to get a neck sizing operation in a full length die. Will extend the life of the case. :wink:

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Or!
The case does indeed grip the chamber but the head area does not, as there is nothing to grip!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Perhaps an ever so slight irregularity in the chamber at the point of the split? :?
"An ever so slight irregularity" is so much classier than "What the heck did you screw up?" 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:
"An ever so slight irregularity" is so much classier than "What the heck did you screw up?" 8)

It wouldn't have been the first time! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ted, glad you spotted the issue when you did. Who made the brass that is separating?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This batch was Remington brass. I used these because the Remington brass that I inspected when I was fireforming had a bit more water capacity than other brands. Perhaps the lesser capacity Federal and Winchester cases would have held up a little longer due to thicker walls.
NRA Life Member
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

IMO, it would be near impossible for a case to separate like that, especially an Ackley, if there wasn't headspace or the shoulder being pushed back during reloading. If the case fits the chamber properly there simply is no place for the brass to go.

If that case was fired in a lever action of questionable strength or some other action that could stretch when firing, that could also lead to head separation.

How many times was that case fired?

I have Ackleys in 223, 6mmRem, 280 Rem and my own design, the "30 Something" ....All cases have been fired dozens of times in TC Contenders and Bolt Action platforms and I've never had a separation.....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Ted, I think your brass is just plain worn out. It does happen guys. I am also a guy who doesn't track case use as well as some. However my reloads are almost always mid-range power or less.