Reached a Milestone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Reached a Milestone

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've been married for 22 years now and I've reached a sort of milestone that I was never expecting to achieve. You see, my wife's not really a gun person but she tolerates me. She's not anti-gun as she does own a Beretta 84F in 380ACP but she's not what I would call "into it". She does understand most types of guns and how they work as I've tried to explain them to her over the years when we encounter them on TV, etc.

So we're sitting there watching the most recent episode of Blacklist and there's a scene where a bad guy turned good guy is defending himself in a cabin. He seems to be using a brass framed 1866 replica. Anyway, I'm just mindlessly following along and my wife says "he's going to have a hard time shooting that thing unless he cocks it".

She recognized that the guy had the hammer down on an 1866 but was pointing it out the window like he was going to fire on the approaching villains. I paused and rewound and she was correct.

Apparently she HAS been paying attention all these years.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reached a Milestone

Post by TedH »

It does rub off on them! We were watching a movie the other night, and my wife says, "that's a 1911 just like Longmire's" and it was! :lol:
NRA Life Member
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nice catch. She did well.

Now take her to see The Revenant (awesome movie, by the way) and see if she catches the scene where the good guy gets off a horse to go after a bad guy -- but with the frizzen wide open...

That sorta makes it hard to keep your powder dry -- or in the pan! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rimfire,

Same episode, my wife sez... "I like my engraved Rossi better than the plain brass on that '66!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Hummmm, sounds like she's coming along perty well, ya know some women don't just catch on to stuff like that in just 22 years
Im married to one a little slower :lol:
But I ain't never told her that, I just let her think she's smart
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ha! I thought as much about my gal.
Congrats on 22
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hey Bill
Congrats on the 22 years.....
You should go out and buy yourself a present ant the Lakeland Gun Show this weekend.......
How have you been?

25yrs this april for us!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Sounds like my bride, I just acquired 2 Berretas in .380, though these are model 1934. If she is good I'll give her one. She could care less about guns in general. :?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well tell your wife she's one up on me. I watched that show and never noticed that part of the gun. They will surprise you from time to time.

One night my wife, my son and myself were out having dinner. My son said, since we're so close can we go over to the gun shop after dinner so I can pick up something? I looked at my wife to make sure she didn't have any pressing plans and she said sure. Then my wife looks at me and says, while we're there I want to shoot. Umm, OK... Jr and I looked at each other and we tried to decide which gun to let her shoot. His G23 or my G26. We settled on the G23 as it would be easier for to hold even though it was a .40.

She ended up putting 50 rounds on paper and was satisfied, as was I.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIHMFIRE wrote:Hey Bill
You should go out and buy yourself a present ant the Lakeland Gun Show this weekend.......
How have you been?

25yrs this april for us!
Yeah, we should get medals for making 20+ years. Plus, you know, kids and all. I suppose I'm no picnic either.

I forgot the Lakeland show is this weekend. Is that the Rod and Gun Club big show? My wife is hosting a bridal shower at our house and that seems like a great place for me to go instead of being home.

I've been working on some other hobby stuff, building an RF lift controller for my dock that senses water levels, temp, etc. I'm in the middle of adding BlueTooth Low Energy right now so I can access it from my iPhone as well as the keyfob remote. It takes up a lot of my extra time. I'm still in the middle of redoing the flyback supply and EMI filter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
How have you been?

25yrs this april for us!
Yeah, we should get medals for making 20+ years. Plus, you know, kids and all. I suppose I'm no picnic either.

I forgot the Lakeland show is this weekend. Is that the Rod and Gun Club big show? My wife is hosting a bridal shower at our house and that seems like a great place for me to go instead of being home.

I've been working on some other hobby stuff, building an RF lift controller for my dock that senses water levels, temp, etc. I'm in the middle of adding BlueTooth Low Energy right now so I can access it from my iPhone as well as the keyfob remote. It takes up a lot of my extra time. I'm still in the middle of redoing the flyback supply and EMI filter.

Alright fellers, time to fess up! How many of you besides me did pretty good till you got to that last paragraph above??? :shock: You say a "RF lift controller" (that's got to be a .22 rim fire shell carrier) , "blue tooth low energy" ( used to be a deer disease, only on the tongue) " I-phone and keyfob remote" ( can rabbit and deer hunt by telephone), (flyback supply and EMI filter ( somebody's replenishing the home brew with a drone and a filter ya pour it through so there ain't an Emergency Medical (EMI) situation!! There, how'd I do???? :?: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and that other thing on there, that's a map of downtown Chicago! That's why the potus is like he is!!

Congrats on the 22. Cherish them all, 43 for us on 2-16 and they go by way too fast. :|
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
How have you been?

25yrs this april for us!

WHOA...THATS WAY OVER MY HEAD.....
Yup...that the Rod and Gun Club show....Best one around these parts.....
I would go...but I have to pay my quarterly ******* taxes this week...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Congrats on the 22 8) We hit 21 yesterday ( the 13th ) , next year it will fall on a Friday , the third time since we married in '95 8)
Your wife sounds a lot like mine RE. guns , not overly into them but coming along steadily . She too has caught things on tv , movies , or online and pops right up and says " That isn't right , because ..... ! " She has a good eye for detail and is sharp as a tack , well except for the picking and staying with me since '86 :wink: part.
Phil
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Daisyman, sounds right to me. I'm sure it was English, because I could pronounce the words... but their context provided no clue to their meaning. I've never been good at codes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Me neither!! Maybe we'll get an explanation for all of us old fa*ts that still have a flip phone and still can't figure out how to get the punctuation in your texts. I could call someone and read them the Gettysburg address in the time it takes to answer one!! :lol: :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sorry about that. I got too far into EE mode.

Let's just call my other non-gun hobbies ... strange.

Oh, and RF is radio frequency ... 433.92MHz for this. Fancy for "remote controlled".
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIHMFIRE wrote:WHOA...THATS WAY OVER MY HEAD.....
Yup...that the Rod and Gun Club show....Best one around these parts.....
I would go...but I have to pay my quarterly ******* taxes this week...
Yeah, I paid my property taxes on 12/31 so I could use the deduction in 2015. Brutal. Wife has me on a short leash for a while.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Sorry about that. I got too far into EE mode.
No need for an apology. I enjoyed it. It's been several years since I had to dive into a circuit board to find a signal for the 'scope. I still write software now and then, mostly some sort of data processing in C but also JavaScript/HTML5; however, I truly miss writing and debugging embedded code.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

KWK wrote:
No need for an apology. I enjoyed it. It's been several years since I had to dive into a circuit board to find a signal for the 'scope. I still write software now and then, mostly some sort of data processing in C but also JavaScript/HTML5; however, I truly miss writing and debugging embedded code.
Yeah, that board is using an 8051 and most of the code is in 'C' with just a smidge of assembly. When I was in school back in the 80's, I had to work to support myself. I had taken some programming classes as are required by the EE program and so I found jobs doing programming part time. It turned out that there was so much of a need for programmers in the business world that I just kept doing programming when I got out. And so now I just do EE stuff as a hobby when I have extra time.

You'd think a lift controller wouldn't be that complicated but it turns out there's about 13,000 lines of 'C' to run that thing. So the hardware design and implementation was way easier than the actual coding. I've just been doing a second revision to add BlueTooth and SD card support so I can log the use of the lift. The worst part about the stuff now is the small size of the surface mount components. My aging eyes can only deal with the 0603 sized stuff and then to use that vacuum pick and place by hand is torture. It's nice to see if finally reflow on the hot plate though.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And here I didn't think they ever really paid attention...

...at least that is what she thinks about me! (And is right!) :wink:
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Let's just call my other non-gun hobbies ... strange.

Oh, and RF is radio frequency ... 433.92MHz for this. Fancy for "remote controlled".
Hehe, no apologies needed. I find it amazing to see the wide variety of knowledge of the guys on here with just one thing in common with all of them, leverguns! Doctors, lawyers, knife makers, leather workers, gunsmiths, wood workers and everything in between. Oh, and electronics gurus. I'm impressed. :D
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:... but it turns out there's about 13,000 lines of 'C' to run that thing.
If that's 13,000 lines of executable C code, then an 8051 has more ROM than I would have guessed. I worked mostly with Motorola processors for the "big" jobs, and PICs (nasty little beasts), Atmels, etc. for much of the rest.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

KWK wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:... but it turns out there's about 13,000 lines of 'C' to run that thing.
If that's 13,000 lines of executable C code, then an 8051 has more ROM than I would have guessed. I worked mostly with Motorola processors for the "big" jobs, and PICs (nasty little beasts), Atmels, etc. for much of the rest.
They make them with up to 256KB of Flash these days, though mine only sports 64KB. Most of the code goes to running the radio but there's a lot for the file system on the MicroSD card as well.