A New to me Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

A New to me Lever

Post by jkbrea »

I just picked up a Winchester 9422! I bid on this rifle on and lost by about $250. :( These things are overpriced but hard to find unless you fork over close to a grand. Well, it went back up because the buyer and seller got into an argument over what "new" meant. It was adverised "like new" no box and unknown if fired. I bid on it again and got it for less than the first time I bid on it. :) I wanted a shooter in good shape, not a safe queen. This may well have been new. A couple very small dings in the wood, no rust or wear on the steel.
Haven't taken it to the range yet but shot a bunch of CB rounds in my back yard. Hit everything I aimed at but only out to about 20 yards. I'll keep it a few years and eventually give it to one of my grandsons.....or grand daughters.

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A New to me Lever

Post by Griff »

I've kinda always wanted a .22 lever. You got a good'un! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I bought my 9422 in 77 or 78. I was so satisfied, it's been my only .22 rifle I've kept. I'd love to pick up another one someday, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had several 9422's over the years - they're very nice rifles, with a regular thickness receiver (as compared to the more accurate Marlin 39a's).

Historically, I've been more partial to the magnum (.22WMR) versions - especially the 1988 Classic, with a 23" bbl & PG stock.

The only thing that I'd advise about one, is to never use a screwdriver to pry out a mis-fed cartridge - take it down to clear any such.

There's a fella, over on the rimfire central forum ( JRH of Apertures N More), who makes a blued, thumb-operable takedown screw ($15) to replace the issue screw.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A great lever action .22 8) I have had three, two magnums and the one I still have in .22lr.
I wish I still had my first one, at the range it used to keep up with the big guys at 200yds.
Hey Joe, I still have your saddle ring on my .22lr. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ya done good as the 9422 is one of the few guns Winchester made in the last 50 years that has quality and collectibility.

Targetmaster has new looking 9422 XTR sitting on the shelf for $499. Well, that was last weekend.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

If anyone see`s Winchester 9422 M serial # F 6710 it`s hot! It was stolen out of my house in Lancaster California in 2003. Many other guns were stolen with it. Had a scope on it too.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have one of the last 9422M that were made, and an older 9422 from the 70s....I'm planning on them being part of a down payment on something big someday. :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great snag! Very cool little rifle.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Pete 44
I do not know about Marlin 39 or other 9422, but my 9422M will shoot minute of angle groups at all paracical ranges. I bought it used but in very good condition and scoped and took it to my sons indoor gun range.
After trying a half dozen brands of ammo of different weights, two of them shot minute of angle groups at 25, 50, 75 , and 100 yards! Very satisfactory for a hunting rifle!
The best was Federal 40 grain Target ammo and second best was some other brand 40 grain standard ammo.
All the lighter bullets are less accurate in this rifle.

BTW, my Winchester 61 pump 22 which I bought new as a teenager back in the 50s is just as accurate with most brand name 40 grain ammo. This rifle has won many turkey shoots! Grandson shooting for the first time at RKrodles ourdoor range:

.22s are a lot of fun!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I've had several 9422's over the years - they're very nice rifles, with a regular thickness receiver (as compared to the more accurate Marlin 39a's).

Historically, I've been more partial to the magnum (.22WMR) versions - especially the 1988 Classic, with a 23" bbl & PG stock.

The only thing that I'd advise about one, is to never use a screwdriver to pry out a mis-fed cartridge - take it down to clear any such.

There's a fella, over on the rimfire central forum ( JRH of Apertures N More), who makes a blued, thumb-operable takedown screw ($15) to replace the issue screw.

<snip>

I've seen those but never got interested. Early on I found that a standard quarter fits the take down screw slot perfectly. Then I found a washer that was the exact same size and thickness so that's what I carry with me when I shoot it.
gamekeeper wrote:A great lever action .22 8) I have had three, two magnums and the one I still have in .22lr.
I wish I still had my first one, at the range it used to keep up with the big guys at 200yds.
Hey Joe, I still have your saddle ring on my .22lr. :D
That's pretty good. I'm glad that part went to someone who can appreciate it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Congratulations!!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jkbrea wrote:I just picked up a Winchester 9422! I bid on this rifle on and lost by about $250. :( These things are overpriced but hard to find unless you fork over close to a grand. Well, it went back up because the buyer and seller got into an argument over what "new" meant. It was adverised "like new" no box and unknown if fired. I bid on it again and got it for less than the first time I bid on it. :) I wanted a shooter in good shape, not a safe queen. This may well have been new. A couple very small dings in the wood, no rust or wear on the steel.
Haven't taken it to the range yet but shot a bunch of CB rounds in my back yard. Hit everything I aimed at but only out to about 20 yards. I'll keep it a few years and eventually give it to one of my grandsons.....or grand daughters.

It will do that to 120yds easy!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Congrats! I've had one since high school. It's the most accurate lever 22 I have ever owned. My dad just gave me his deluxe model 9422 and I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"