Mystery Knife?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Mystery Knife?

Post by Daisyman »

I've got a knife? that I would like to identify. I've been told a few things they THOUGHT it might be, but I wanted you fellers opinion about it. What say you? The OAL is 11.375", blade is 6.375", width of blade is 1.75", and about .125" thick. No numbers or name.
Irv

Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Mystery Knife?

Post by Lassiter »

It's a Hori Hori knife (I think that's what they call it) it's used in gardening. Sometime folks use them to dig when metal detecting
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Would Hori Hori be Japanese or something Asian?

Update;; I looked up Hori Hori on Google and sure enough there it was, a Japanese gardening tool. I've had this thing for years and was told that it was a tool for putting in land mines or digging them up, (yikes) (I guess it could have been) but no one ever came up with the right answer.

Thanks Lassiter, I just knew someone on here would know!! :? :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Daisyman wrote:Would Hori Hori be Japanese or something Asian?

Update;; I looked up Hori Hori on Google and sure enough there it was, a Japanese gardening tool. I've had this thing for years and was told that it was a tool for putting in land mines or digging them up, (yikes) (I guess it could have been) but no one ever came up with the right answer.

Thanks Lassiter, I just knew someone on here would know!! :? :D
Well, the Japanese did plant quite a few gardens of land mines. They had to use something, so it's possible one was used for that purpose at some point.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Just as I decide my knife collection is already too big, you go and post a picture of a knife I had never even heard of :roll:
Well at least the Hori Hori may come in handy when I go metal detecting... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

gamekeeper wrote:Just as I decide my knife collection is already too big, you go and post a picture of a knife I had never even heard of :roll:
Well at least the Hori Hori may come in handy when I go metal detecting... :wink:
You're in luck.....we'll just call it a Japanese gardening tool. No knife to be searched for... :) .....unless for the metal detecting. ( I thought it might be a survival tool for some undercover clandestine military group, thus no name or numbers.....a real piece of secret spyware. Well, poof, there went that idea!) :lol:
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I believe it is an Oyster knife. :wink:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gamekeeper, you metal detect, too? The stuff you chaps find in England is the stuff of dreams for this Oregon boy.
I use a Lesche digging tool when detecting, but frankly the hori would work great as well.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Gamekeeper, you metal detect, too? The stuff you chaps find in England is the stuff of dreams for this Oregon boy.
I use a Lesche digging tool when detecting, but frankly the hori would work great as well.
I don't find much except all my spent .22 brass I used on squirrels :lol: but I would love to find something from the Bronze Age.
The Hori Hori looks cool and I can also use it for setting mole traps... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Definitely a Hori Hori knife used by Japanese gardeners as well as for foraging wild vegetables in the mountains. I usually carry mine when in the forest usually to dig up wild bamboo shoots.
I french-whipped the handle using tarred marline twine for better grip in wet conditions.
Slightly cupped blade
Harvesting bamboo shoots with my Hori-Hori knife
Harvested bamboo shoots
Spicy "Menma" made from my bamboo shoots
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a very coool knife... :)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Those are excellent, innocent looking garden tools that would make a dandy general use knife or improvised weapon.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Ji in Hawaii wrote:Definitely a Hori Hori knife used by Japanese gardeners as well as for foraging wild vegetables in the mountains. I usually carry mine when in the forest usually to dig up wild bamboo shoots.
I french-whipped the handle using tarred marline twine for better grip in wet conditions.
Slightly cupped blade
Harvesting bamboo shoots with my Hori-Hori knife
Harvested bamboo shoots
Spicy "Menma" made from my bamboo shoots
Those bamboo shoots look good. I've never had them, didn't know they were edible. Anything comparable in taste? :?: