Any .38-40 shooters here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Any .38-40 shooters here?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A guy on another forum was asking whether a properly handloaded Ruger in .38-40 was deer capable. I posted a link to this article by John Taffin.
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt3840.htm
Got me to wondering if any here hunt deer or hogs with this old classic, properly handloaded for the intended choice of sixgun, of course. It's a round I have never played with, although tempted.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Any .38-40 shooters here?

Post by Merle »

Bill in Oregon wrote:A guy on another forum was asking whether a properly handloaded Ruger in .38-40 was deer capable. I posted a link to this article by John Taffin.
Got me to wondering if any here hunt deer or hogs with this old classic, properly handloaded for the intended choice of sixgun, of course. It's a round I have never played with, although tempted.
Not in a revolver, but I am tempted to use my TC Contender pistol. :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have a Ruger "Buckeye Special" 10mm/.38-40 convertible.

'Nevva' shot the 10mm, but I occasionally shoot the .38-40 with Tail Boss and Berry's copper plated bullets. Snappy little round. One of these days I will find a nice 1892 and spring for Colt SAA in .38-40.

Always thought that the .38 WCF --aka .38-40 -- was an underappreciated and often overlooked round. From what I have read in the old reloading books, Back-in-the-Day the original lead bullet and Black Powder loading was not to be underestimated.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pretty much analogous with the 40 S&W. 10mm bullet at 11-1200 fps. I've been shooting a Bisley, 7 1/2" bbl in 38WCF that is a tack driver. Many an old lawman favored the 38-40. A good 92 Winchester and a Colt SAA in 38-40 was plenty of armament for anyone unless he encountered a big bear.
The 38 WCF Bisley went down the road and I'm left with a 4 3/4" Bisley in 41 Long Colt. Same barrel so with the right cylinder it could handle the 38-40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

With Johns loads it would take a deer with no problem! I have a Uberti in 38-40 colt clone
and its a very nice revolver, with the fixed sights it shoots better than the rest of the herd with
cast bullets, would not hesitate to try it on deer

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've shot that cartridge in just about any rifle or sixgun ever to come down the road since about 1880 or so. The handgun to use for heavy loads is the Ruger with the extra 10mm cylinder. I have a bit more than 3k out of mine and some heavy experimental loads with a 200-220 grain bullet gives me the confidence to take it elk hunting at short ranges.

Any quality vintage handgun designed for smokeless powder can easily push the standard 180 gr. bullet to 1050-1100 and is more than enough for a deer out to 50-75 yards.----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Bill in Oregon wrote:A guy on another forum was asking whether a properly handloaded Ruger in .38-40 was deer capable. I posted a link to this article by John Taffin.
A friend of mine was loading some of those for me tonight. We found some jacketed bullets at the last gun show actually for a 40 S&W. It's hard to find any kind of bullet for them, cast or otherwise. No cannalure on these so the bullets won't stay put. We don't dare to crimp any harder for fear of bulging. :( I'm going to try them one at a time in my Win 1873.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Daisyman wrote:
A friend of mine was loading some of those for me tonight. We found some jacketed bullets at the last gun show actually for a 40 S&W. It's hard to find any kind of bullet for them, cast or otherwise. No cannalure on these so the bullets won't stay put. We don't dare to crimp any harder for fear of bulging. :( I'm going to try them one at a time in my Win 1873.
How about using the Lee Factory Crimp Die...? Mine will crimp solidly into any bullet - cannelure or not.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I read that article by John Taffin and he stated he added a cannelure to his bullets. Any idea how you do that? That's what we needed.

Irv
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

AJMD429 wrote:
Daisyman wrote:
How about using the Lee Factory Crimp Die...? Mine will crimp solidly into any bullet - cannelure or not.
We might try that. Thanks
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I also have a Ruger "Buckeye Special" 10mm/.38-40 convertible and never shot it in 10mm. I have shot it a few times with Winchester 180 grain jsp ammo. Shoots pretty good.
With the Winchester 92 in 38-40 and the same ammo I one shot a young deer and it did not move out of its tracks, a true DRT episode. Lung shot and in one side and out the other.
I think it kills deer very well.
hayabusa
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot it, but the reloading manual values on it seem to show that it was/is a powerful enough cartridge for for most applications. Don't sell the old cartridges short. Many of them were as good as what we see commonly now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stuff that puppy full of 3F BP with a properly lubed bullet and have a blast.
Daisyman wrote:
...It's hard to find any kind of bullet for them, cast or otherwise. No cannalure on these so the bullets won't stay put. We don't dare to crimp any harder for fear of bulging. :( I'm going to try them one at a time in my Win 1873.
Nope, but ya gotta hunt. Oregon Trail, Meister, Missouri & Montana bullet companies all make a cast 38-40 bullet.

Or buy any 10mm bullet and use a Corbin Hand Cannelure Tool.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:Stuff that puppy full of 3F BP with a properly lubed bullet and have a blast.
Daisyman wrote:
...It's hard to find any kind of bullet for them, cast or otherwise. No cannalure on these so the bullets won't stay put. We don't dare to crimp any harder for fear of bulging. :( I'm going to try them one at a time in my Win 1873.
Nope, but ya gotta hunt. Oregon Trail, Meister, Missouri & Montana bullet companies all make a cast 38-40 bullet.

Or buy any 10mm bullet and use a Corbin Hand Cannelure Tool.

Amen Griff :wink:

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have never found a revolver in my price range but have shot a few deer with a 92 rifle no problems. I also have crimped a Hornady XTP with a lee factory crimp die and it will not go anywhere. A good flat nose lead will do fine on a deer too.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Daisyman wrote:
I read that article by John Taffin and he stated he added a cannelure to his bullets. Any idea how you do that? That's what we needed.

Irv

there is a device that you set the bullet in then turn a crank. that will engrave a series of cuts into the jacket & give you a place to crimp. sadly I don't recall the brand name, but it should be easy to google up.
Merle from PA
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a cannelure tool. It's a boring chore but it works.

Ruger Buckeye+ 180grXTP's+ an undisclosed amount of 2400= 1450FPS with little fuss.

I never did get to shoot anything with it, brought it hunting a few times but nothing played along. I got on to other things and haven't taken it since. Maybe next year, it's long over due for a trip out.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/38-40Ruger-Magnum.html
Slow is just slow.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just want to try my old Winchester '73 out for the fun of it, so rather than spend a good deal for a cannelure tool, I will try the crimp die first and see how it works. :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Daisyman wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I just want to try my old Winchester '73 out for the fun of it, so rather than spend a good deal for a cannelure tool, I will try the crimp die first and see how it works. :)
Here's the granddaddy 38-40 info. thread of them all.
From the forum good o'll days.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 81&start=0
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

CS: Thanks for linking to that thread. There might be a Cimarron 73 in .38 WCF in my future.