New spotting scope tripod needed FOUND ONE, THANKS.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

New spotting scope tripod needed FOUND ONE, THANKS.

Post by jnyork »

I need a new spotting scope tripod. The one I have is an el cheapo Walmart stand, it is ok but wiggles incessantly with the slightest touch, making spotting difficult , even focusing the scope at different distances is difficult. I need a STEADY tripod. Attachment of a scope stand to the shooting bench is not an option I want in this case.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New spotting scope tripod needed FOUND ONE, THANKS.

Post by jeepnik »

Slik http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/ has some really good tripods. Not cheap. One hint. Look for one that allows you to hang some weight (I usually use my camera bag) from the bottom of the center post. I really stabilizes a tripod even in a pretty good breeze.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:Slik http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/ has some really good tripods. Not cheap. One hint. Look for one that allows you to hang some weight (I usually use my camera bag) from the bottom of the center post. I really stabilizes a tripod even in a pretty good breeze.
I'm a dummy......I wondered what that hook was for...still, and all, it's not very good for a WallyWorld 50 dollar tripod....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well don't leave us hanging, what did you get?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Slik http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/ has some really good tripods. Not cheap. One hint. Look for one that allows you to hang some weight (I usually use my camera bag) from the bottom of the center post. I really stabilizes a tripod even in a pretty good breeze.
I'm a dummy......I wondered what that hook was for...still, and all, it's not very good for a WallyWorld 50 dollar tripod....

The hook is actually for a plumb bob, so you can center the tripod over a pin if you're using a transit.
I need to invest in a good one, too. The cheapo ones always break and it's money wasted.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Look for a good video camera tripod with a good fluid head. Hang something heavy from the center hook to stabilize it.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

The hook is actually for a plumb bob, so you can center the tripod over a pin if you're using a transit.
I need to invest in a good one, too. The cheapo ones always break and it's money wasted.
Most good photographic tripods have a threaded stud at the base of the center post so you can mount a camera in that position. It gives some interesting perspectives. I make sure I have an aux. hook that mounts on the stud to hang weight of some sort.

I have on some occasions, like working on a windy bluff on the coast, sandbagged the legs for additional stability. Also, it's always better to have a taller tripod than rely on extending the center post too far. The higher you crank it up the more sway you will get in any given situation.

By the way, I was shooting some video at the range and you'd be amazed at what the muzzle blast from a 1895GS will do to camera stability.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"