How About A Custom SA Revolver ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

How About A Custom SA Revolver ?

Post by Pete44ru »

I spotted this conversion, over on the Ruger forum - You likey ?

If so, you can read about the gun owner's step-by-step, 9-week long, conversion process - along with a million pics:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 2&t=219994

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: How About A Custom SA Revolver ?

Post by Old Savage »

Nice!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Those lines scratched on the cylinder by the bolt are like fingernails on a blackboard to me. I know, Rugers are timed like that but it still bugs me. Beautiful pistol though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The lines upset me, too - After all, the owner completely refinished every other part of the revolver, AND supposedly fixed the problem by reworking the lockwork, so it's beyond me, why in the devil wouldn't he also refinish the issue .357 cylinder at the same time he did the 9mm cylinder ?

Strange............................................................. :roll:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon May 18, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

lines on cylinder eh?

touchy touchy touchy :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, it looks nice. Except for the purple-ness of the finish versus the cylinders. Is that what he was going for?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think I would have taken that picture with the other cylinder installed. It appears the gun was bead/ dust blasted before being blued. Some folks like that dull finish,not I.
The dismounted cylinder has been chamfered on the front,the mounted cylinder has not,that makes me think it is a work in progress. Possibly the cylinder that is mounted in the gun was a later acquisition?

I don't like the front sight. I would have used a base like the factory uses only with a pinned in blade like is used on stainless guns from the factory,not available in blued from Ruger but can easily be made.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Well, it looks nice. Except for the purple-ness of the finish versus the cylinders. Is that what he was going for?

If all the posts in the thread linked to above (6 pages) are read, the owner discussed & showed how he made a two-tone gun that wasn't as blingy as a stainless & blued pinto, instead deciding to brown the barrel & cyl frame.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Two types of people work on guns, gunsmiths and idiots.

This is by King's Gunworks and has been shot lots. No lines on the cylinder...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel wrote:Image
Oh my... a proper single action!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Once again... I'm green with envy! Tho' I do love those "spalded" grips on the Ruger!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

The "idiot" comment was disrespectful. We are better than that. We don't all have the same level of
craftsmanship. The effort is noteworthy.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bullard4075 wrote:The "idiot" comment was disrespectful. We are better than that. We don't all have the same level of
Yep. I've done lots of 'idiot' gunsmithing that worked for my needs. Sometimes the goal is a basic working and safe gun, not always a state of the art masterpiece.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Bullard4075 wrote:The "idiot" comment was disrespectful. We are better than that. We don't all have the same level of
Sorry about the idiot thing, but effort being noteworthy has turned this country backwards. I remember how good an artist I thought I was in Kindergarten with crayons, but if you look at what I did then you would realize I wasn't an artist even though I tried...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

And, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I likey the bottom ones.......the top one, not so much. I agree on the front sight, ugh! Good thing we don't all like the same thing, boring world. :roll:
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"effort being noteworthy has turned this country backwards". I disagree. The effort is not the total but usually leads
to improvement. Do you always do your best work the first time. I dislike the cylinder ring also but saw his work as a
journey not necessarily the destination. For some of us the journey is longer than others. Some of the craftsmanship I see on this
forum truly astounds me. A short time ago a member showed some of his knives he made. Beautiful, simply beautiful and
I never thought to look for flaws. Charity breeds humility.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Top - 1st Generation Colt 45 .. rebuild by Cosby Custom Guns

Bottom - USFA Shootists Anniversary 44 Special
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Bullard4075 wrote:"effort being noteworthy has turned this country backwards". I disagree. The effort is not the total but usually leads
to improvement. Do you always do your best work the first time. I dislike the cylinder ring also but saw his work as a
journey not necessarily the destination. For some of us the journey is longer than others. Some of the craftsmanship I see on this
forum truly astounds me. A short time ago a member showed some of his knives he made. Beautiful, simply beautiful and
I never thought to look for flaws. Charity breeds humility.
Fine, I really don't care about the nuances of improvement, it is the acceptance of work such as this revolver as beautiful that I disagree with. That revolver is a pig in a dress. The grips are nice, I agree, but the rest leaves much to be desired and the original question was "You Likey?" and I don't.

If I would have made that gun in shop class back in school, I would have gotten a C- on it...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

me likey! :D

he needs to send it to me so I can shoot all the misses out of it for him! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shrapnel, I agree, although my shop teacher might have given a "C"... :wink: "A" for effort being of no value to one's GPA... it is noteworthy to applaud the fellar's courage to undertake the project, then to publically post the results thereof.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Daisyman wrote:I likey the bottom ones.......the top one, not so much. I agree on the front sight, ugh! Good thing we don't all like the same thing, boring world. :roll:

Yep - Why some folks like vanilla ice cream & others like pistachio; or red-headed / brunette significant others.......

While I may like/dislike whatever, as long as the whatever is to the maker's taste, (and although YMMV), I wouldn't refer to the maker as an idiot simply for doing whatever pleased them.

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Before this spins out of control.
Let's resist calling names.
My only point.
I'm done.
Jeff Cooper
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wow! Picky, picky, picky. A feller posts pics of a beautiful revolver and what happens? Nit picking...

I'd likely give my left cojone for that gun, cylinder line, purple color and everything...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Through the years I have had 4 or 5 custom handguns done for me. Most were caliber change. Also a few custom rifles done. I am one of those guy that cant do jack for myself but I think I have come up with a number of good idea`s. For instance I had a 1917 s&w. I found a new .455 cylinder for it, had a good gunsmith fit it up to 45 colt. I had also bought a extra crane for it. I also had him put on a smith target sight and a colt trooper looking ramp front sight with a red insert, wo rear sight and also had him build up the hammer and checker it like a target hammer. The job looked like it came straight out of the factory. This was back around 1970. I probably had about $250`s in the gun and work! Today some guru would charge 4 or 5 K to bless it! It was a true .45 acp/.45 colt convertible with target sights.
I had another gunsmith friend build me a .44 special Blackhawk out of a .357 using a Douglas barrel. It worked out so well that I think he told me he converted another 10 or so and sold them.
I once found a .44 special barrel off a s&w model 21 at a gunshow and waited a couple years to find a s&w heavy duty. (Model 20, they were .38 and the 21 was the same gun in .44 special). I paid about $25/$50 or so for the barrel, and found a good HD for $200s. Another gunsmith friend bored the clyinder to .44 special and swapped the barrel. Maybe paid him $75s? Never did get it re blued I might some day.
I had a Martini action built up to a .256 Winchester mag rifle. I had a Winchester 92 that looked like it had sat under a chicken coop for 60 years rebuilt to .357 mag. It looked new when done. Had a Winchester 73 that was a shot out 32 win converted to .38 special. That one was a mistake to do. I bought a new smith model 51 (.22 wmrf) and ordered a model 34 .22lr cylinder for it. Made a convertible out of it easily. Most of those guns are traded off or sold. While all worked well I wouldn't do it again. I played around doing that in the early 70`s, had "in`s" with gunsmiths that weren't big name guru`s and worked relatively cheap. I couldnt begin to pay what the Guru`s would charge today.
Here are a few pictures of some customs I have. Many are long gone. The last picture is a Winchester 1890. It originally was in .22 wrf. Someone did the stock work before I bought it so I went ahead and had it re chambered to 22 wmrf. The wrf and the mag share the same bore size. In short, very seldom will you money back from customizing anything. Only do it if you have peculiar wants and tons of money. Sorry, I tried posting a bunch of pictures and none posted. They were too big.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I guess an unlined cylinder might be something to be proud of, I can't imagine why. All my rugers put a drag line on the cylinder. someone said they are timed that way, is that true? do all rugers do this? is this just a colt thing?

I'm curious, but don't have a dog in the ring,
1894c

Post by 1894c »

nice job...looks like it getting close for us boys to get out in the woods and go shooting...just saying... :)
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Regardless of the maker, a drag line is usually a result of the user and how he handles the gun. The defense of different gunsmiths and this particular gun aren't necessary. The truth is that someone did a bunch of work to a single action revolver he thought as worthy of sharing.

It is an ugly gun and you won't see anything like it produce commercially because it won't sell. Maybe that is harsh, but it isn't criticism as much as an observation. You can still like it, afterall it is a free country. I don't like it and that is not a reflection on the guy, just his work...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Grizz wrote:I guess an unlined cylinder might be something to be proud of, I can't imagine why. All my rugers put a drag line on the cylinder. someone said they are timed that way, is that true? do all rugers do this? is this just a colt thing?

FWIW, the design of the Ruger New Model's allows the cylinder latch to pop up soon after the cylinder begins to rotate.

Ergo, the gun will eventually have an unavoidable scratch around the cylinder between each lock notch.

Unavoidable ................................................on a factory unmodified gun, i.e.

There are two modifications that can be done, either of which will hold the cylinder latch down longer and prevent a turn line.

One modification involves making a new hammer plunger that is longer than the factory plunger.

The alternate modification involves welding an extension on the cylinder latch.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Shrapnel wrote:
Sorry about the idiot thing, but effort being noteworthy has turned this country backwards. I remember how good an artist I thought I was in Kindergarten with crayons, but if you look at what I did then you would realize I wasn't an artist even though I tried...
I have to admit, some of my teenage-years 'gunsmithing' projects are kind of like that. . . :oops:

Even worse, some of my over-forty ones do too. . . :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:FWIW, the design of the Ruger New Model's allows the cylinder latch to pop up soon after the cylinder begins to rotate.

Ergo, the gun will eventually have an unavoidable scratch around the cylinder between each lock notch.

Unavoidable ................................................on a factory unmodified gun, i.e.

There are two modifications that can be done, either of which will hold the cylinder latch down longer and prevent a turn line.

One modification involves making a new hammer plunger that is longer than the factory plunger.

I was told much the same thing by a now-retired gunsmith I really trusted.

He said I had three options -

I could spend a bunch more money and he'd make my Ruger not do that, or
I could spend a bunch more money buying a Colt, and it probably wouldn't do that, or
I could spend a bunch more money on ammo, and make the ring brighter and smoother.

He wanted me to pick the first option, of course, but offered to order me a Colt and take the Super Blackhawk in trade, and said he would sell me 20 boxes (1,000 rounds) of Winchester 240gr SP for $250.

I now have a well-worn Super Blackhawk that I appreciate.

Still - those 'tuned' custom sixguns without the drag-marks have always appealed to me, and if I spent a bunch of money on a custom one, I sure would want it to be 'drag-free'.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I haven't read the whole thread on the Ruger forum but I think: A) the grips are probably mesquite or burled mesquite B) the plum color must have been deliberate C) the front cylinder/barrel gap looks good and tight, can't tell about the rear and D) the Bisley hammer might not be a bad idea using the traditional "plow" grip frame.

I don't know if everyone knows this but FA deliberately doesn't use a "Bisley-style" hammer on their "Bisley-like" grip frame because on a heavily recoiling revolver it can bite your hand. I have experienced this phenomenon on my own Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt with +P loads on occasion. You have to hold that frame very tight.

However with the plow grip frame, it could really ease cocking but not come back to bite the hand. Maybe. At any rate, might not be an issue in 357 Mag or 9mm.

Nice to hear someone mention Jim Stroh's name. His gunsmithing was first class all the way (he did two for me.)

Regards,

-Tutt

Jim T., the USFA gun looks so extremely authentic when compared to the original one. They sure do nice work!
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Pre 74 Rugers had Colt style lock works and did not make a turn line if properly manipulated. If not properly manipulated, even the Colt will have a turn line. Always lower the hammer from full cock,never lower the hammer from the safety or half cock notch and rotate the cylinder or you too can have a drag line.
On New Mod. Rugers the cylinder latch can be lightly polished to remove the razor sharp edge and the turn line will be greatly reduced and almost completely avoided when done to a new gun.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well at least he used nice wood for the grips.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thank you for the explanation. still mystified but learning from the topic.

Pete44ru wrote:
Grizz wrote:I guess an unlined cylinder might be something to be proud of, I can't imagine why. All my rugers put a drag line on the cylinder. someone said they are timed that way, is that true? do all rugers do this? is this just a colt thing?

FWIW, the design of the Ruger New Model's allows the cylinder latch to pop up soon after the cylinder begins to rotate.

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Rusty wrote:Well at least he used nice wood for the grips.
Kind of like Johnny Cash's Cadillac...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The OP stated that the grips are a set of $130 "Ambonya Burl" from Bear Paw grips - which he also stated that he was disappointed with, since he had to rework the finish, the not-flat inside surface (where it lies against the gripframe), and the uneven thickness (one grip was notably thicker than the other).

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When viewed up close, those grips are just crude. If they came out of my shop I would certainly NOT claim to be their maker.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:On New Mod. Rugers the cylinder latch can be lightly polished to remove the razor sharp edge and the turn line will be greatly reduced and almost completely avoided when done to a new gun.
I've polished several locking bolts and helped drag marks. In general, drag lines dont bother me all that much. When I had Colts, I didnt worry about "doing it right" in manipulating the gun in worrying about drag lines. They jusy got used, however was expedient at the moment. From loading, the hammer was just pulled far enough back to clear the notch, then dropped down carefully. The guns I use much have much greater finish problems than drag marks from holster wear and getting carried in the rain etc.

I wasnt going to rain on his parade, but the grips, besides being an odd shape, dont fit very well to the grip frames. They are blocky and oversive around the edges of the metal. The best fitted grips require the metal to be refinished, as the grips are worked on the straps when made. Its pretty hard to get a truly good fit otherwise. Many grips some are happy with look pretty blocky and chunky to me. I just dont say anything for the most part, everybody has different levels they are happy with. Other aspects of the gun arent quite my style either, but its not mine, so I dont have to worry about it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

He would have been better off having Carey at CLC Custom Grips make him a set it looks like. Uh oh, looks like Carey has retired too but may come back to grip making in the future. Darn, the old guard is passing on. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I'D call that particular SA pistol sort of a Dummorat pistol in that is what you get when all you want is ' change ' for the sake of change without a moments thought to the finality of the total package. This pistol is a FINE lesson on "why".

And so it goes....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Terry Murbach wrote:I'D call that particular SA pistol sort of a Dummorat pistol in that is what you get when all you want is ' change ' for the sake of change without a moments thought to the finality of the total package. This pistol is a FINE lesson on "why".

And so it goes....
that's the best quote I've heard all year...Mr. Murbach you made my day... :)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Certainly isn't my cup of tea. If the owner is happy, so be it.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, as someone who has spent thousands of dollars on gunsmiths, and sometimes have joked about propping up the gunsmith industry single handedly, LOL, I would say that everyone does the best they can afford and some want to do things themselves no matter what, but in most cases, there is no substitute for hiring a professional to customize your revolver, pistol or rifle! Money well spent!

Regards,

-Tutt

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Edit
Last edited by plowboy 45 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I had on old 1920's 94 carbine that had a cut down dime for a front sight.

BTW, I forgot about the fore end cap, I'll go look right now.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Ok thanks
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

PM sent

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

plowboy 45 wrote:Oh stuff now im wondering wheather I should post the model 94 I changed ftom a carbine to 38 55 rifle
Hey it was all you fellers that got me thinkin I just might pull it off
I thought the ol boys pistol looked good but I aint in to shiney unless its a peterbilt
Heck im already embarrASSed and I aint evened posted a pic yet

:oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Good enough reason to not be so critical of someones work. Thought this would happen. I know I'll
be a lot more circumspect of my posts and pictures knowing there are those ready to pounce.
Jeff Cooper