OT - First Generation Colt SAA Question question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - First Generation Colt SAA Question question

Post by rjohns94 »

I purchased a first generation colt saa and it arrived today. I took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Bought the pistol on this forum. It started out in 1883 as a 44-40, then in the 20's became a 38 special with a rebarrel and cylinder change. It carryies a 5 1/2 inch barrel. After its cleaning, the action is smooth and the feel of the 125 years of history and visible carry wear (some of that as a carry gun for a cop) strikes a chord in the ancient in me and puts a smile on my face. I like it even better since the no forms were required for this transfer.

Bought this pistol to go along with my 92 that Steve is slicking up and as a general go to pistol. I am sure it will be carried with my sharps, while shotgunning, and much of the time I will be in the woods.

My question is this: Can I shoot 38 +P in this 1rst gen BP frame Colt? I would like to shoot the Remington 158gr lswchp loads. If I can, great. If I can't, what .38 rounds would you recommend. I am sure that I will use this pistol for fox, ground hogs, feral critters, and a camp gun against 2 legged predators. Gonna get a simply rugged holster to carry this one high on the hip. So tickled am I with this gun, that if it shoots well, I just may have to dump some of my other pistols. Life is such an adventure.

[/img]Image

Image[/img]
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wouldn't. 1st Gen guns were chambered for rounds that were all around 12-13K PSI, the .38+P generates upwards of 19K PSI. A steady diet of that might cause some excessive frame stretch in the softer irons of the era. While the .38Spl standard loadings generate in the 15-16K PSI, it is a less significant difference. What effect the smaller head diameter with the increased pressure and what thrust is placed on the recoil shield is beyond my knowledge, and certainly above my pay grade! :wink:

Sure is pretty! What tales might it know! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'll second Griff. I'd stick with standard-pressure loads, preferably 158 gr. lead SWC bullets. These should accomplish the jobs you list without abuse to the gun.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I would stay away from high pressure loads in your 1st gen SAA. I don’t know when your SAA was made but it’s clearly a BP framed Colt. I don’t know if your cylinder is a rebored 1st gen 32-20 cylinder or a 2nd gen cylinder. Many of the early cylinders & frames were made out of iron not steel. Colt did make & convert a few 1st gen SAAs to 357 mag, but they used “machine gun steelâ€
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nifty Sixgun Mike!!!

I've bumped off a bunch of critters with plain old 148 Gr. wadcutters and 3.5 grains of bullseye.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"