Humor - so Californians can understand 'Texan' language...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Humor - so Californians can understand 'Texan' language...

Post by AJMD429 »

Californian to Texan translation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Humor - so Californians can understand 'Texan' language.

Post by FWiedner »

It's like... like... the Rosetta Stone...

:o

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

thank you, I like that. Is California actually a state in this union, I though they ere in there own little world.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

And "Y'all ain't from around here, are you?" means "Go back where you came from."
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Doc, that is some funny Pelosi right there. I read a few CA newspapers, and always laugh when "an arsenal" is confiscated, and the pic shows a couple handguns and a model 12. Heck, I keep more than that in the kitchen :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wow, again, the narrow mindedness of a few rears it ugly head.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jeepnik wrote:Wow, again, the narrow mindedness of a few rears it ugly head.
"Humor" is in the topic.....Lighten up, Francis :D

When "PC" kills all our humor, we might as well pray for the zombie apocalypse.

EDITed for spelling :( ( you know how us trailer-trash Texans are!)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't take it personally -

Some of my best friends are from Kentucky, and folks from Indiana tell 'Kentuckian' jokes all the time - my Kentuckian friends just respond by telling even better ones.

Same with blacks - many of my black friends tell the best 'black' jokes.

When a resident at St. Francis, I'd be on-call at night with the Sisters ('Nuns'), and though our duties to the patients were different, we felt like 'teammates', and would take breaks together - they told better 'Nun' jokes than I'd heard elsewhere.

My Jewish friends even tell good 'Jewish' jokes.

"Stereotypes" make good jokes, because...
  • on the one hand, stereotypes are sometimes sort of 'true', and
    on the other hand, stereotypes are so dumb/wrong, that they are worth making fun of...
So - sometimes the jokes are making fun of the stereotyped individual, and other times they are actually poking fun at the whole concept of 'stereotyping'.

Anyway, the one I posted is not just poking fun at Californians, but is also poking fun at Texans. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over such things.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: "Stereotypes" make good jokes, because...
  • on the one hand, stereotypes are sometimes sort of 'true', and
    on the other hand, stereotypes are so dumb/wrong, that they are worth making fun of...
Anyway, the one I posted is not just poking fun at Californians, but is also poking fun at Texans. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over such things.
It was? :?

:D
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I dated a couple Polish girls over the years and worked with and had friends who were polish so we'd trade jokes all the time. The only trouble was, they didn't understand them.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

then there is the narrow minded of the majority in California - somebody (a lot of body) voted for their legislation

Texans like to be made fun - if it's really good, we'll turn it into a Texas-ism
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

That's another good'in Doc :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

walks with gun wrote:I dated a couple Polish girls over the years and worked with and had friends who were polish so we'd trade jokes all the time. The only trouble was, they didn't understand them.
Yep. Almost forgot - my wife used to tell great 'Pollack' jokes, but quit telling them after she found out that her family isn't actually Polish... :lol: That in itself is sort of a 'Pollack joke'... :D

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

When I was a kiddo in MT, everyone told North Dakotan jokes :D
Then in NE, everyone told Pollack jokes (the joke was really on anyone who lived in NE!)
When visiting family in TX, and when we moved back, everyone told Aggie jokes. I had no idea what an Aggie was :?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

My Mom once asked me what an Aggie is, and I told her "I dunno, some kinda goat I reckon.... "

:oops:
:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Good post, Doc! More truth there than poetry... I can definitely see the humor! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I'm a lifelong California resident, but I've always lived where most of us think more like Texans. Here's a link to a big city newspaper article whining about Shasta County:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22842141/ ... e=infinite

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For the Californians, when a Texan calls you a Yankee, it means that you are from somewhere west of where thy were born. The people from Dallas call the people from Amarillo a bunch of Yankees. I haven't found anyone from the Dallas area yet who knows his directions if you take CRS and RKrodle out of the group. Of course, my Mother-in-law from Northern California, Davis to be exact, thinks that Dallas is south of the gulf of Mexico. She also pronounces St. Louis as Saint Loowee. Kind of sounds like someone calling hogs.

My Aunt from Boston was told, with all sincerity, when she left Boston with my Uncle to go to the Oklahoma Panhandle to meet her new in-laws, "Don't get scalped"! She admitted that when she found out that they didn't have electricity out there yet, that she thought she had married into a bunch of primitives. The Works Project Authority ran the lines in 1940 and my Dad helped his Dad wire a whole bunch of houses.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

To the world, a "Yankee'' is someone from the USA.
If you're from the USA, a"Yankee'' is someone from the north.
If you're from the north, a "Yankee'' is someone from the east.
If you're from the east, a "Yankee" is someone from New England.
If you're from New England, a "Yankee'' is someone from Vermont.
If you're from Vermont, a "Yankee" is someone who eats pie for breakfast. (my apologies to E.B White and Robert Frost)

In Texas we don't mind Yankees who come to visit too much, but those "da*%$#" Yankees are the ones who come and stay. :lol:
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you left out Texas - a Yankee is anyone east or north of Texarkana

oh, and we recently stationed INS in Texarkana - moved them from Dalhart. :mrgreen:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bulldog1935 wrote:you left out Texas - a Yankee is anyone east or north of Texarkana

oh, and we recently stationed INS in Texarkana - moved them from Dalhart. :mrgreen:
Well, that's a shameful part of family history :oops:
We live so close......my poor sister resides on the wrong side of State Line Avenue...we love her anyway...

The really embarrassing thing is, where I live used to be Miller County, Arkansas. No one knew exactly where the line was way back. Now I'm 100 miles from it.

I've researched the family tree back to the 1600s...My mother's mother's mother was born in Arkansas.....oh, the family shame at having a Yankee in the family :oops:
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Anyone know what a matchbox is good for??
after you kick the pelosi out of a Texan,you bury him in it. hahahahaha lol :lol: :lol: It's a joke!!

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I grew up in CA and was decidedly leaning toward NOT taking the offered job in TX... as I'd been thru and knew Texans... not exactly the most "welcoming" of folks, IME... My boss, who was also to be my boss in TX, was born & raised in Gonzales, TX, told me, "... you're more Texan than half the folks there, even those born & raised there... just don't tell 'em you ain't originally from TX, and they'll just assume you're comin' home! ...Bless their hearts!" :P :P

He was right. :lol: :lol: I still get asked... "...really, you ain't?"

Jeepnik... the main difference between TX and CA is this: there's a whole lot that's "right" about TX... that which ain't, was imported from up north and way out west... Same as there's a lot that's "right" about CA... but... that which ain't... wasn't imported!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

actually, I think Texans are the friendliest neighbors anywhere. Striking up a conversation with strangers is the norm here. Try that in Ohio.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

bulldog1935 wrote:actually, I think Texans are the friendliest neighbors anywhere. Striking up a conversation with strangers is the norm here. Try that in Ohio.
You can...in rural Ohio (except for stuck up people near Port Clinton :wink: ). Big city folk tend to be more rude no matter what state you're in.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I recall a western movie when some Confederate refugees from Texas were in Mexico and the Mexicans called them Yankees. :D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeepnik... the main difference between TX and CA is this: there's a whole lot that's "right" about TX... that which ain't, was imported from up north and way out west... Same as there's a lot that's "right" about CA... but... that which ain't... wasn't imported!
Griff, as usual, you summed it up well. Thank you. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:I recall a western movie when some Confederate refugees from Texas were in Mexico and the Mexicans called them Yankees. :D
All I know is when I was down in NZ for the family reunion and they paged me over the pa, "Where's our Yankee cousin from Texas...?" I got a little steamed for a few minutes... til Mom patted me and said, "remember, to them, we're all 'Yankees'!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

vancelw wrote:...
You can...in rural Ohio (except for stuck up people near Port Clinton :wink: ). Big city folk tend to be more rude no matter what state you're in.
that's fair enough - you can find friendly people everywhere
but again, I was talking about the norm.
If you go to Austin, half of California moved there in the 80s (ok, but seriously a half-million people)
If you try to strike up a conversation with a stranger and they ignore you, we just assume they're an immigrant.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I am in the south for the winter again, I still get refered to as a durn yankee from time to time. Even tho I have about 4 guys that I talk reloading and shooting about and have more weapons than they do. Has more to do with the way news is portrayed than actual feelings.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

in the case of California, it's all about legislation - not portrayal, just facts and choices that the people of CA make and how it affects the rest of us.

As far as being a winter Texan goes, I can tell you for sure that Texans don't like to hear Texas griped by visitors.
Please refer to all the appropriate Hawaii tourist bumper stickers.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

What's all the fuss about??

I read the translation sheet carefully, and it seems to be quite accurate to me!

New post in Politics subforum - "Newspeak Revisited from the eyes of a Californian"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Did you ever hear the story about the Texan that went to Japan for vacation and was visiting with this tour guide and the guide told him that he had always heard about how everything was bigger and better in Texas, but he had something that he bet they didn't have in Texas, and then showed him this huge volcano. The Texan just turned and said "no we ain't got nothing like that, but if you want me to, I can have the Dallas fire dept put that thing out for you". :D

Old Joke.

I do love to go hunting in the Texas Hill Country, and I have always enjoyed the locals around Lano, TX. I always thought I could live down there, but my roots are too deep, here.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:

CALIFORNIA: Foreplay

TEXAS: Git inna truck, Woman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
vancelw wrote:

CALIFORNIA: Foreplay

TEXAS: Git inna truck, Woman
You do know the definition of a Texas ranch don'cha?
Double-wide on 2-½ acres.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

double-wide, that's a rancho deluxe