Winchester 1894 magazine length clarification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1894 magazine length clarification

Post by FLINT »

I might be a tiny bit ocd about some things, sometimes. I've been thinking about and trying to understand the variations/configurations of the pre-20s or 30s 1894 guns. One thing I'm hung up on now is magazine length. Does anyone know if there were standard magazine length options and what they were? Auctions mention: button, half, 2/3, and 3/4 length magazines. However, if you look at the pictures, some people call a given length button or half length. I've also seen the same length called half and 2/3, etc. I've also looked at about 16 cody museum letters and have never seen the words button or 2/3 or 3/4 used to describe magazine length. The letters either don't mention magazine length, which I assume means that the gun came will a full length magazine, or they will specify that the gun came with a half length magazine. I've read that a 26" magazine will hold 8 rounds. The 20" magazine on my carbine holds 6. The 12" magazine on my rifle holds 4. So would that be half length? does a 'button' hold 3? or is half and button the same thing? Thanks for any insight.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1894 magazine length clarification

Post by Pete44ru »

It's not "cut & dried", or "set in stone", since (in addition to standard production) Winchester had a "Special Order" system, and Custom Shop work.

All Winchester 1894/94 magazine tube length designations - 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, etc - are approximations, due to the various chamberings & barrel lengths ordered.

The actual tube length will vary to accommodate different cartridge lengths of the various chamberings.

Also, it would be well to keep in mind that barrels could be ordered in lengths from 15" to 36", and with round, octagon or half-octagon configs, with magazine tubes to match the order.

Additionally, forends can vary by type and length, according to either/or/both gun model (Rifle/Carbine) and the ordered barrel length.

The only "standard" barrel lengths were 26" (Rifle Model) and 20" (Carbine Model).

Barrels may show a 1/4" to 5/16" deviation in exact length ( which should be carefully examined for repair to muzzle damage via shortening ).

"Special Order" magazine tube lengths, to accommodate a specific number of cartridges, or a silencer :o are considered to be the rarest examples, IF they can be reliably documented (aka: a Cody Letter).

All tube lengths can be found on both "Rifle" & "Carbine" models.

The length/capacity of the magazine tubes of takedown Rifles & Carbines will differ, to accommodate the takedown lever at the forward end.

"Full-length" tubes are those which end 1/8" from the muzzle on Rifles, and 1/16" from the muzzle on Carbines - of whatever barrel length.

"3/4-length" tubes are approximately 3/4 the measured length of the whatever-length barrel, and are rare.

"2/3-length" tubes are approximately 3/4 the measured length of the whatever-length barre;, and was very popular due being aesthetically pleasing.

"1/2-length" tubes are approximately 1/2 the measured length of the whatever-length barrel, aka: "button magazines". These will be found with variations in the magazine cap's protrusion from the forend, and their attachment methods.

(PHEW ! ) . :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yeah... exactly what HE said!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Griff wrote:Yeah... exactly what HE said!
Yep. Would have taken me half a day to write on my phone. :D
Byron
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Wow, awesome, thanks!

So I guess the button magazine is a half mag. that doesn't extend past the forearm. The mag. Tube on both of my rifles does extend a little bit past the forearm, but I guess they are still half length.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Pete44ru said + 2. There are a couple different names given to the 2/3- 3/4 length tubes but they are the same part. The button mag barley peeks out of the forend cap and the full length is just what the name implies. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm am not trying to bust gonads, but there is not a person alive that can quote all of the variations and small details of antique guns, whether they are Winchesters, Colts, (my favorite :D ) Marlins, whatever.

Every individual who loves and gloats over the old guns should have a book for every type and brand. Seriously, I must have 200 quality books.....and I never made more than $44k a year.

Plus, the neat side of it all, when you talk or write on forums, you can really BS people into thinking that "you know it all", when in reality, most guys here, myself included, hurry up and dig out the books and make it sound like we are George Madis himself.

The trick in being an "expert" is in how you buy and sell.--------6

Griff, did I sound OK? I'm trying to tame my Eastern attitude. :D

44 Specials From The Past.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Great, looks like a book I need!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff, did I sound OK? I'm trying to tame my Eastern attitude. :D
Sounded right to me. Only time I makes mistakes is when I fail to double check my "facts"!!! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote:
there is not a person alive that can quote all of the variations and small details of antique guns, whether they are Winchesters, Colts, (my favorite :D ) Marlins, whatever.

Plus, the neat side of it all, when you talk or write on forums, you can really BS people into thinking that "you know it all", when in reality, most guys here, myself included, hurry up and dig out the books and make it sound like we are George Madis himself.

Resources rule................................................. ;)

IDK everything, but have a pretty good memory, regarding firearms (for over 45 years the main focus in my life, after family), and also have some go-to resources I can use when either my memory or past experiences fail me. :roll:

This was my go-to for the Winchester 1894/94 tidbits I posted earlier - but the info posted here was compiled from various places into something that seemed to make sense (to me).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks, I'll have to look for that book as well. Found the other one on Amazon for a good price.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Wanted to add that the above book is available on amazon for kindle for only $16. I downloaded it last night and it's excellent. The Pirkle book recommended first is the same price but only available in print, so I'll have to order.