30-30 trivia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 trivia

Post by J35 »

"Grizzly gone--- but epic stories live By John Horne

On September 13 , 1935, Dick Miller, a veteran hunter and rancher was riding behind his hounds on the Joe Filleman spread near Red Mountain and off the East bank of the Blue river. He rode into Stray Horse Canyon where there were reports of a calf kill.

Suddenly his pack doubled back past him hotly pursued by a raging bear. Dick pulled out his 30-30 from the scabbard and made a one shot kill on the running bruin. It is believed this single rifle shot killed the last Grizzly known to be taken in Arizona.

Miller said that had he known the bear was a Grizzly, he never would have made the kill."

I have killed elk on Red Mountain, fished the Blue and several other streams and lakes in the immediate area and personally I am glad Miller took the shot.

good shooting
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Impossible! Everyone knows that you need a super duper, mega magnum to handle one of those.

Thanks for the history lesson.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 30-30 trivia

Post by Griff »

J35nut wrote:...I have killed elk on Red Mountain, fished the Blue and several other streams and lakes in the immediate area and personally I am glad Miller took the shot.
good shooting
shhh! Some bone-headed tree/grizzy hugger could take offense! :lol: :lol: But, I tend to agree!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Better keep quiet or somebody will want to reintroduce them! :roll: It's amazing what the old 30-30 accomplished. If it was what was in your scabbard then you just used it. Most of them old boys didn't know that you were supposed to have a magnum!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Dead is dead :lol: !I bet the griz couldn't tell the diff. :D J35nut nice post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Long before it's time, but that would have made for one interesting YouTube video!