SHOT IT TODAY (12/27) -- I crossed over to the Dark-Side...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

SHOT IT TODAY (12/27) -- I crossed over to the Dark-Side...

Post by 1894c »

Hi-- well I did it, I put together, with the help of a good friend, and some donated parts (sometimes it's good to be a pastor/LE chaplain), a simple version of a EBR. Parts came from Palmetto State Armory, bought a complete upper, and a unfinished lower with the associated pieces parts, plus a mil-spec BCG and carry handle. Used Magpol OD Green "furniture". My cost into this EBG is $430.00. My girls bought me a bunch of 30-rnd mags made by D&H (on sale for $5.99 a piece) for Christmas, and I picked up another pile of Colt 20-rnd mags, and another pile of assorted ammo. I guess this is where I say--bring it on...then maybe not...

My Wife looked at the EBG and said it was ugly and looked dangerous, and asked the question WHY...I asked her if she wanted to shoot it and she said YES, go figure...

Never really wanted a EBR, but HOBIE recommended that we should all own one, I decided that it might be a good idea, especially in light of our current societal de-evolution... :)
1222142314.jpg
1222142315.jpg
RANGE REPORT: A friend of mine and myself shot the PSA AR-15 today (I have no targets to show, because it's very difficult to retrieve them at the range we were at)... the AR shot well, no function issues, the accuracy with iron sights was good. My friend shoots "service rifle" and is a very good shot, he kept his groups under an 1" at 100 yards using Wal-Mart Federal 55gr. bullets, my groups were within an inch (slightly more) at the same distance... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I crossed over to the Dark-Side...

Post by Tycer »

Nice! My wife says "That's your militant gun". She has no interest in shooting it as she prefers shottys.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Put a suppressor on it and let her shoot it, and she'll probably decide it is one of her favorite guns; quiet, no recoil, compact, accurate, durable - what's not to like...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Very nice...the more guys who have these, the less likely "they" will mess with our rights.

What twist is the barrel?---------------6

Now you need one of these with a "fun switch"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7itVQNs1eY

Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1892 wrote:Never really wanted a EBR, but HOBIE recommended that we should all own one, I decided that it might be a good idea, especially in light of our current societal de-evolution... :)
Yep, it's Hobie's fault I have one also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I thought we all had one or more of those "safeguards" to our liberty.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Many summers ago I had the opportunity to fire a full blown M-16 and of course the AR-15 version. That acted like an immunization against me ever wanting one of those Mattel toys.

And I seriously doubt that owning those things will dissuade the gov one tiny bit from taking them all when they decide too. Most owners are chicken shits and will just roll over when told. Those few who stand up and fight will just die a quicker death.

JMNSHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

These things are ugly and don't do much for me. But, I have one or two and will always have them around. IMHO they are versatile, easy to shoot and carry, and would be my preference in a bad situation. I'd still rather shoot my leveractions and Sharps. When I'm showing off these are the last thing on my mind and even the young guys get a bigger kick out of shooting my Sharps because it's "old".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice, 1892, real nice 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:
What twist is the barrel?---------------6
The barrel twist is 1:7, it's made by FNH, the receiver forging is made by Anker Harvey (AH), which also makes forgings for Colt... :)

J Miller -- I too felt the way you did (AR-15...meh), and have had plenty of experience in shooting them with the LE Agency I serve (free tax-payer funded ammo)--BUT, with the "active shooter training" I have received over the last 6-years, the desire to shoot and own something different than my leverguns, and to be added to the great company of the "Chicken Slitz's" :D I decided to put one together...YMMV...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

daisygordoninc wrote:I thought we all had one or more of those "safeguards" to our liberty.
+1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I thought you were talking about Black Powder! You need to go there too.

Like most here I think everyone should have one but I will probably grab my FAL if a need arises.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote:I thought you were talking about Black Powder! You need to go there too...
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Very nice acquisition.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I've picked up a few nice 357's I didn't need, from guys needing money or getting divorced and needed to either get money or would rather sell it than give it to the "ex".

its post Christmas time and with the fluctuation in AR prices, maybe I'll pick one up so some guy can pay his visa bill. I do have a friend that did ok buying low and selling high these past few years on AR's. - Brian
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote:
M. M. Wright wrote:I thought you were talking about Black Powder! You need to go there too...
+1!
news to me. never heard of anyone shooting black powder in the AR, but hey, there's lots of stuff I don't know .

:D :lol:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

It would definitely get some attention at the range!

Not that it would make the AR beast any more/less of a pain to clean, either!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Unless the USMC trained you, you can clean an AR in about five minutes.

What's the big deal?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

you realize of course that one of the pilgrims gonna havto try it.

I'll hold your beverage AND the camera ... :lol:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The dark side is good too ----- now if only they would chamber an AR in a rimless .45 Colt ! -- Hmmmmmmmm :!:
----- Doug
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote:

Now you need one of these with a "fun switch"
Only if you are buying the ammo Sixgun!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

MrMurphy wrote:Unless the USMC trained you, you can clean an AR in about five minutes.

What's the big deal?
You answered your own question. :lol: Takes 3 consecutive days.....
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Streetstar wrote:The dark side is good too ----- now if only they would chamber an AR in a rimless .45 Colt ! -- Hmmmmmmmm :!:
Do a search for .458 Socom :shock:

Jack
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice. :D

I haven't owned one since the mid 90's. I've been thinking more about it as the prices have come down so much lately.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of those poodle shooters. They are ugly, but they have their uses. If the manure hits the electric wind creation machine, they might just be good to have, but mine is not for such a purpose. I have scoped mine, and the next time I go out to the area where I grew up, I want to try it on Prairie Dogs.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

daisygordoninc wrote:I thought we all had one or more of those "safeguards" to our liberty.
More and more I'm becoming convinced that just as the '73 Winchester is maybe not accurately, but historically known as "the gun that won the West", the AR15 may very well become known by future generations as the gun that saved the Republic. Right now I'm doing my best to obtain one for every adult member of my family.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote: And I seriously doubt that owning those things will dissuade the gov one tiny bit from taking them all when they decide too. Most owners are chicken shits and will just roll over when told. Those few who stand up and fight will just die a quicker death.

JMNSHO

Joe
You know, that may very well be true. But I'm old enough and have seen enough that I know I'd rather die on my feet than live and have to watch my grandchildren live on their knees. Some things are more important than taking that next, miserable breath. And I don't intend to make it easy for them.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1892-firefuzz-others,

I'm not singling out any person on this forum with that comment. However I have known, and I suspect we all do, people that talk up a big storm, but when the storm troopers come for the guns they'll just meekly surrender them.
And I suspect those types are more in the majority than those of us that will stand up and say ... NO.
That's basically it.

As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

J Miller wrote: As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal.
Joe

HERE YA GO

300AAC Blackout. A 30 cal gun to preserve the republic for which it stands . . .
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Grizz wrote:
J Miller wrote: As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal.
Joe

HERE YA GO

300AAC Blackout. A 30 cal gun to preserve the republic for which it stands . . .
Got one of those too....only mine's a little longer on both ends. :lol:

Rob

Because I can!

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

firefuzz wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Joe

HERE YA GO

Got one of those too....only mine's a little longer on both ends. :lol:

Rob
Mine, too... but WHAT DO YOU HAVE, GRIZZ...???? That makes me want an even-shorter phallic-symbol/gun...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:The dark side is good too ----- now if only they would chamber an AR in a rimless .45 Colt ! -- Hmmmmmmmm :!:
........check out the 50 Beowulf......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew a guy who had a 458 Socom, but he hadn't shot it all that much and I only shot a few rounds through it so can't comment on 'quirks'. I'd planned on getting one until I read reviews of the Alexander Arms 50 Beowulf, and it looked like the latter would propel a 400 grain bullet the same speed the SOCOM would send a 300 grain one downrange, plus be a full half-inch diameter, so I wound up getting one of them instead*. Once you get past the funny-looking cases, it's a cool cartridge, and after I shot one, there's no way I'd go back to the SOCOM - not enough 'thump' for me... :D (I think Cabela's still sells the uppers (no lower modifications needed, and I use regular 20-round steel 223 magazines to hold seven rounds with no modification).

Think 45-70'ish ballistics in an AR-15 platform...400 grains at 1800 fps 8) (See GunBlast review - http://www.gunblast.com/50Beowulf.htm)

(...*even though Beowulf is a 'Girl Gun' - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=48904...)

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

LUBE.

Ahem. Sorry.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Mine, too... but WHAT DO YOU HAVE, GRIZZ...???? That makes me want an even-shorter phallic-symbol/gun...
300 BLK but had to send the upper back for a technicality. It has a 10.5 " barrel and fits nicely in the top of the console with full size mag.

I since got a 556 M4 pattern barrel and a slick side upper receiver so I have to feed both maws now. Still a few parts shy of a functioning carbine. Ordered steel mags for the 556 so I can try to keep the ammo separate.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Think 45-70'ish ballistics in an AR-15 platform...400 grains at 1800 fps
I think I saw 500gr bullets for the 458.

Is the 50 accurate?
1894c

Post by 1894c »

J Miller wrote:1892-firefuzz-others,

I'm not singling out any person on this forum with that comment. However I have known, and I suspect we all do, people that talk up a big storm, but when the storm troopers come for the guns they'll just meekly surrender them.
And I suspect those types are more in the majority than those of us that will stand up and say ... NO.
That's basically it.

As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal.

Joe
J Miller -- I for one appreciate your comments and take no offense, it's real easy to say blah-blah-blah if our Constitutional Rights get over-turned (you should hear all of the tough-guy-bad-butt talk in the back seat of a patrol car--we call them "hand-cuffed warriors").

I have a friend from Austria, he told me that when they were coming for his relatives and neighbor guns they refused and declined the invitation of the two uniformed gentlemen at the front door--they kept their firearms, they still have them... :)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Try .458 SOCOM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.458_SOCOM
It is not the critic who counts
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

GUYS!

The .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are NOT rimless .45 Colts! They are rebated rim .45-70s, .50-90s, etc.

Now THIS is an AR chambered in rimless .45 Colt:

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Grizz wrote:Is the 50 accurate?
Absolutely. I prefer it over the .458 SOCOM for a couple reasons, but both turn the AR into a completely different beast. I fired a .458 SOCOM full auto once . . .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

When I put the 4x scope on mine the 4" gong is never missed at 100 yards. Usually breaks the support wire and I have to go find it. Outta put my 32x on it and try for groups someday; many folks claim they cloverleaf consistently at 100 yards (course with half inch holes its easier than with a 223... :wink: )

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

7.62 Precision wrote:
GUYS!

The .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf are NOT rimless .45 Colts! They are rebated rim .45-70s, .50-90s, etc.

Now THIS is an AR chambered in rimless .45 Colt:

Annnnnd once again, you're killing me.
Is that a mostly standard lower on that?

(and www.HighReady.com redirects to a Century21 page)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:1892-firefuzz-others,

That's basically it.

Joe
No offense taken, just making my position known. And I do agree with you. But if only one in five that say they'll stand does we'll be okay.

Rob

Because I can!

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal. Joe
Will this one work? :P :lol:

Because I can!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

firefuzz wrote:
J Miller wrote:As far as a gun to save the Republic, I guess I'm old school. I prefer a 30 cal. Joe
Will this one work? :P :lol:

Yep sure will.

Joe
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That appears to be an old Cavalry Arms polymer lower.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:
When I put the 4x scope on mine the 4" gong is never missed at 100 yards. Usually breaks the support wire and I have to go find it. Outta put my 32x on it and try for groups someday; many folks claim they cloverleaf consistently at 100 yards (course with half inch holes its easier than with a 223... :wink: )
minute of venison heart or brain, all I require. sounds like I'm drifting into the 50 camp.

a big plus, it makes the metro-weenies squirm even more.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Panzercat wrote: Annnnnd once again, you're killing me.
Is that a mostly standard lower on that?
Cavalry Arms lowers are designed to accept grease gun magazines. For a while, we were putting to gather a number of these for customers who had Cav Arms lowers. They are super fun to shoot, but really should be SBRed. After 10" to 11", you don't gain anything with the .45 ACP. You could do .460 Rowland as well, just by pushing out the chamber.

Like shooting a .22 - no recoil whatsoever, and pretty quiet in the 16" barrel. They could be somewhat practical if you did the .460 thing, too, or suppressed in .45 ACP.

We did some 9mm, .40 S&W and one 357 SIG, but they used standard lowers and Sten magazines, had higher recoil and were not as easy to get running smoothly - had to pin mag blocks in exactly the right angle to get them to feed (different on every rifle, and then mags had to be tested to find which ones worked). 9mm had noticeable recoil, too, while the .45 ACP doesn't even move. 9mm and the others benefit more form a longer barrel than .45 ACP does.

The .45s with Cav lowers and Greas Gun mags always ran great. GWACS Armory now makes the lowers. I guess I should make one for the kids someday - I have a stack of old Cav Arms lowers.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

J Miller wrote:Many summers ago I had the opportunity to fire a full blown M-16 and of course the AR-15 version. That acted like an immunization against me ever wanting one of those Mattel toys.

And I seriously doubt that owning those things will dissuade the gov one tiny bit from taking them all when they decide too. Most owners are chicken shits and will just roll over when told. Those few who stand up and fight will just die a quicker death.

JMNSHO

Joe
Can't really make a statement like that, unless you been there and back, even then, with age and health, who knows. If nothing else, if the masses are purchasing military style weapons, primarily to send a message to the powers to be, dem and Rep, that there may be some resistance to a tryannical take over,than it's a plus for US. Nobody knows what and how they will do or react until their backs are up against the wall.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

tman wrote:
J Miller wrote:Many summers ago I had the opportunity to fire a full blown M-16 and of course the AR-15 version. That acted like an immunization against me ever wanting one of those Mattel toys.

JMNSHO

Joe
Can't really make a statement like that, unless you been there and back, even then, with age and health, who knows. If nothing else, if the masses are purchasing military style weapons, primarily to send a message to the powers to be, dem and Rep, that there may be some resistance to a tryannical take over,than it's a plus for US. Nobody knows what and how they will do or react until their backs are up against the wall.
Once upon a time, the Jews meekly gave up their arms in Europe. This is why they say "Never Again".....I think "we" know why. It's time to keep spreading the message.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV