Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Post by hondo1892 »

Ok guy's I've been looking for a Smith & Wesson mod 19 or 66 in shooter grade. Haven't found any that I want to use for a truck gun. Was at a gun show today and found a 66 that had a reasonable price tag but checking it out it the cylinder was a little loose. So I walked through the rest of the show and one table had this GP100 Match Champion. Never seen one before. I picked it up and looked at it. It had a really nice trigger pull and only half of an underlug. The grips felt better than the Hogue grips on the regular model also. Has anyone here shot one or own one? I had a GP with a three inch barrel and sent it down the road because I never really cared for it. But the match champion looks better and feels better than the others that I have handled. I've read some reviews on it on the net and they all say it the cats meow but I would like a regular person's opinion. It doesn't have adjustable sights but that's not always a bad thing.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Post by Merle »

hondo1892 wrote:Ok guy's I've been looking for a Smith & Wesson mod 19 or 66 in shooter grade. Haven't found any that I want to use for a truck gun. Was at a gun show today and found a 66 that had a reasonable price tag but checking it out it the cylinder was a little loose. So I walked through the rest of the show and one table had this GP100 Match Champion. Never seen one before. I picked it up and looked at it. It had a really nice trigger pull and only half of an underlug. The grips felt better than the Hogue grips on the regular model also. Has anyone here shot one or own one? I had a GP with a three inch barrel and sent it down the road because I never really cared for it. But the match champion looks better and feels better than the others that I have handled. I've read some reviews on it on the net and they all say it the cats meow but I would like a regular person's opinion. It doesn't have adjustable sights but that's not always a bad thing.

Personally I don't see how it could be a match gun without adjustable sights - different loads & all that.... :shock:
Merle from PA
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Merle wrote:

Personally I don't see how it could be a match gun without adjustable sights - different loads & all that.... :shock:
What makes you think it doesn't have adjustable sights like every other GP100?

http://youtu.be/dPmf7d6NM-k

I'm not a big fan of Ruger's, but this is one of those they did right.
Last edited by jdad on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jdad wrote:What makes you think it doesn't have adjustable sights like every other GP100?
I suspect that it's because hondo1892 SAID it doesn't have adjustable sights.
hondo1892 wrote: It doesn't have adjustable sights but that's not always a bad thing.
On another note...

WHERE'S THE PICTURES?

:idea:

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

FWiedner wrote:
jdad wrote:What makes you think it doesn't have adjustable sights like every other GP100?
I suspect that it's because hondo1892 SAID it didn't have adjustable sights.
hondo1892 wrote: It doesn't have adjustable sights but that's not always a bad thing.
On another note...

WHERE'S THE PICTURES?

:idea:

:mrgreen:
DOH! :oops: The rear is a Novak windage adjustable sight.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I'm generally not a fan of Ruger da revolvers. But I did like the feel of this one and it was less bulky than the normal GP100. It had a trigger pull about like my old S&W model34 in single action mode.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Adjustable sights are not needed for combat type competition. Once a load is selected that the gun is regulated to shoot or the sights are drift adjusted to regulate, no further adjustment is needed.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

IMO, its best to have a full lug under the barrel in order to help minimize the recoil from factory loads.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Adjustable sights are not needed for combat type competition. Once a load is selected that the gun is regulated to shoot or the sights are drift adjusted to regulate, no further adjustment is needed.

You are forgetting there is more than one type of competition - one size does not fit all! :o
Merle from PA
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

One can always buy the standard adjustable GP100. I have 4 of them and 2 with fixed sights.
I think the Match Champion was made for the run and gun games and not for the Bullseye type of shooting. The beveled cylinder and Novak sight are to help in quick re holstering,not high precision.
Also different front sights are available to get it regulated to your style and load.

That said,I don`t play those games so you may have something there friend.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I'm a 686 fan but I'll sure admit that Ruger is going to sell a bunch of these. They certainly did it right!
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

The January 2015 issue of the American Rifleman has a write-up on it on page 90.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.