Frankenstein 86

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Frankenstein 86

Post by 1886 »

I have in my possesion a Browning/Winchester 86 for a test drive. The rifle started life as a Browning 86 SRC .45-70. It appears that a 26" Win. .45-90 barrel has been fitted to the rifle. The only "writing" on the barrel is, Manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. New Haven Conn. U.S.A. with .45-90 W.C.F. stamped on top of the barrel by the receiver. Nothing about Smokeless or Nickel Steel is stamped on the barrel that I can see. The rifle wears a full length mag. tube and forearm cap. The carbine type butt is checkered and the full length rifle type forearm is also nicely checkered. The saddle ring is also present. 2.80" cartridges will not feed into the mag. Cartridge length has to be reduced to 2.70" in order to feed into the mag. 2.70" cartridges will not feed from the mag. into the chamber. The rifle obviously started life as a .45-70 and the proper modifications were not done in order to make the rifle a viable .45-90. I have several questions for the learned amoung us. I could keep this rifle as a .45-70. Is the barrel, assuming it is a Win. barrel, suitable for smokeless? Was the .45-90 ever loaded with smokeless? I am going to talk to Mic McPherson about the work necessary to make the rifle a viable .45-90. Thanks all. 1886. I will try to get pics up as this rifle is a looker.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Gary that ne sunds interesting. Can't wait to see the pictures!

jb
8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I believe the Browning 86's (Miroku) have metric barrel threads. So your current barrel does not have the "Made in Japan" mark? If my metric thread assertion is true, then I would think that the barrel is not likely from an original pre-smokeless 86. If it were shorter, I would guess that it could still be an old Winchester barrel that had been cut down at the chamber end and re-threaded and re-chambered. But at a current 26" ... I think that's unlikely.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I believe the Browning 86's (Miroku) have metric barrel threads. So your current barrel does not have the "Made in Japan" mark? If my metric thread assertion is true, then I would think that the barrel is not likely from an original pre-smokeless 86. If it were shorter, I would guess that it could still be an old Winchester barrel that had been cut down at the chamber end and re-threaded and re-chambered. But at a current 26" ... I think that's unlikely.
What if the receiver threads were recut? Possible yes?. 1886.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If the receiver threads were cut to accept an American threaded barrel, I'd want to tear that puppy down to see just how much thread engagement there is. I'm not sure of the thread shank diameters, but... you could theoretically only have half the threads actually engaged. I believe that the only internal mods would be the lifter (carrier) and the cartridge guides to change it over to a .45-90. The .45-90 would have the rim cuts further back on the guides to allow the cartridge base to rise farther from the chamber.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Waiting on the wife and kids to return, they have the camera, so I may get some pics posted. Rifle is a looker. Talked to Mic and he feels he can make the rifle a true .45-90. I checked the rifling twist. It is 1-20" so we feel comfortable that the barrel is not an original. I am happy about the barrel being modern. I will keep everyone updated. Regards. 1886.