.357 Magnum meets .300 Remington Ultra Mag...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

.357 Magnum meets .300 Remington Ultra Mag...

Post by 1894c »

Went to the gun range on Friday to check one last reload before I go Mule Deer hunting (reload was very accurate)...in the next three shooting positions to my right were three guys who all had a Remington rifle chambered in the .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

I didn't notice what they had until the one closest to me let one fly, amazing shock-wave, moved my spotting scope. All three were shooting for a while when one of them came down to see what I was shooting (Rossi R82 .357Mag). He asked me why I would even consider such a weak cartridge for Deer hunting.

He told me that all three had decided to use the .300 Remington Ultra Mag because it can penetrate a 1/4" thick steel plate at 300 yards...I responded by telling him that Mule Deer in the Pacific Northwest do not wear 1/4" thick steel plate body armor..he laughed, never to return. I took a look at their 50yd. targets...they averaged 5-6" groups, I think the deer are safe... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: .357 Magnum meets .300 Remington Ultra Mag...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sounds like the reverse of day I was at the range when a pile of Kidz were out with their Tacticool ARs.

SO I brought out MY Polymer rifle... an externally ignited caseless ammunition 50 cal sniper rifle and a handful of 500gr loads.

Pew pew pew, ting ting ting has nothing on KAWHOOOMMM! PLANG!

Of course, reload time is an issue, but for some reason they all wanted to fire MY rifle more than theirs...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Then I went back to my Rossi and working the 100yd plates. :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8) ijuts
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Old Ironsights wrote:... an externally ignited caseless ammunition 50 cal sniper rifle...
:mrgreen: OI, you are a wordsmith! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

claybob86 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:... an externally ignited caseless ammunition 50 cal sniper rifle...
Just to annoy the Anti's.

I came up with that one back during the FIRST time the Anti's were agitating to have ".50 Caliber Rifles" banned.

It sort of stuck... But it IS an accurate description of the most "scary" features of the rifle...

Only thing it doesn't have is a Bayonet lug and a Shoulder Thing that Goes Up.

The Howda is my .72 Caliber, caseless ammunition reloadable personal claymore... CAR-PC :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Ironsights wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
Just to annoy the Anti's.

I came up with that one back during the FIRST time the Anti's were agitating to have ".50 Caliber Rifles" banned.

It sort of stuck... But it IS an accurate description of the most "scary" features of the rifle...

Only thing it doesn't have is a Bayonet lug and a Shoulder Thing that Goes Up.

The Howda is my .72 Caliber, caseless ammunition reloadable personal claymore... CAR-PC :twisted:
Claymore......you can't say that in public! :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1892 wrote:He told me that all three had decided to use the .300 Remington Ultra Mag because it can penetrate a 1/4" thick steel plate at 300 yards...I responded by telling him that Mule Deer in the Pacific Northwest do not wear 1/4" thick steel plate body armor..he laughed, never to return. I took a look at their 50yd. targets...they averaged 5-6" groups, I think the deer are safe... :)
I guess THAT is really the issue when I speak negatively about Indiana's upcoming "any rifle" deer season; 'hunters' like that just seem dangerous to me. Perhaps the reality is that the ones who are convinced they need a 300 RUM for whitetail are likely lawbreakers and already out there hunting with their illegal guns, but I still hate encouraging that mindset...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Just goes to show different mind sets. I worked with a young man from Northern Ontario today. He and 3 other family members are going moose hunting this weekend and he has the biggest rifle. (a pump action Remington in 30-06) his father uses a 30-30 his brother a 308 and his uncle I believe is also a 308. They usually get one or two moose. Last year was a bull with a 55" rack and a smaller bull. His Dad got the big one with a 30-30. Know your rifle and know your game.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

When my pastor's son was just a kid, he went hunting with some guys from the church. They were air force from outside, and all had the latest wizbang super-blaster calibers.

He took an SKS.

They all gave him a really hard time for his lack of a gazillion-power scope (or any scope at all, for that matter) and the fact that an SKS can't kill a moose. He just took it and didn't say anything.

They split up into a couple groups the next day and went a few different directions.

When they got back to camp in the evening, he was just sitting there, so they gave him a hard time about giving up early since he didn't have enough rifle. He just listened a bit, and then said, "Since you guys came back empty-handed, do you mind helping me pack my moose back to camp?"

I posted before about an in depth study the ADFG conducted. The short version is that they found that most of the hunters shooting magnums could not hit the vital zone of a life-size moose target at 100 yards. Most hunters shooting .308s or .30-06 could.

Hunters shooting magnums who shot at an animal were much more likely to have missed it, and if they hit it, were much more likely to have lost the animal than those shooting more traditional cartridges.

I usually recommend standard calibers to everyone, unless I know it is someone who is really a shooter and has the experience and skill to take advantage of the extra range a magnum chambering offers.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A 250 gr. cast bullet, traveling 1200 fps will kill anything in N.A. You just have to know your rifle and the range limitations.-----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:A 250 gr. cast bullet, traveling 1200 fps will kill anything in N.A. You just have to know your rifle and the range limitations.-----6
+1... :)