All the planets are aligned again !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

All the planets are aligned again !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got rid of that old Remington 742 earlier this week . And about an hour ago got a circa 1926-1927 Parker VHE 20 gauge . Guns 28" M&F and I would say about 85-90% overall . Will post some pictures later tonight . I'm on my I Phone now ! Sporting clays next week for sure !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: All the planets are aligned again !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Have this 20 gauge VHE and a pair of 20 gauge Sterlingworths ! Now I need a 20 gauge LC Smith Ideal grade !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My new planet aligner !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This is the gun I mentioned in an earlier thread that I've known for well on 50 years . And the fellow we got it from started the gun about twice what I figured the value to be . After a couple weeks and several Parker collectors later I got the price down 2 1/2 G's and now it resides with several other Parkers , LC Smith's , Fox and English guns !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Today I also got a line on a LC Smith Ideal grade 16 gauge . If it appears next week as I'm hoping that one may find it's way to my house ! Well that is if it's in the condition I was told .
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

There shore is a lot of meat on those barrels. Were they built on the 12ga. frame? Must be pretty heavy compared to a dedicated framed 20???
Nice looking gun, Congrats!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That's a beauty
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:There shore is a lot of meat on those barrels. Were they built on the 12ga. frame? Must be pretty heavy compared to a dedicated framed 20???
Nice looking gun, Congrats!
That's an "0" frame . That is the regular 20 gauge frame .
The barrel weight is on the underside 3 pounds 1 ounce . That by no means is heavy for a set of 28" 20 gauge pipes .
My 12's are on #1 and #2 frames .

28's were on "00" frames and 410's were on "000" frames .

By my bathroom scales it appears the gun weighs a hair shy of 6 pounds .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

You know I don't think I've ever seen or handled a "heavy" 20 gauge Parker . The heaviest ones I've seen were the DHE 20 gauge 3" Widgeon Duck Clubs guns that were sent to Cali . If memory serves me they were all DHE except one BHE and all had 32" barrels and they might have been on a 1 or 1/2 frame .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

6pt-sika wrote:Image
Is it just the perspective, or are those "R"s really backwards?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Image
Is it just the perspective, or are those "R"s really backwards?

Nope just your eyes :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The camera on my I Phone leaves a bit to be desired in close ups .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My pop and I were talking at dinner tonight about this gun and about the same thing in a 28 gauge . Well atleast we were talking about it until I told him a 28 gauge in this shape same grade would be about 2 to 2 1/2 times what we paid for this gun :o
1894c

Post by 1894c »

My Dad grew up in Fulton, NY where they made the L.C. Smith shotguns (Hunter Arms)....my Grandfather's next-door neighbor was an engraver named Crouse (I think). We have one engraved L.C. Smith in 12 gauge, I think it's called a Crown Grade, could be wrong, haven't seen the gun in years (my Uncle owns it)... I worked in Futon, NY for a number of years and met many who worked at Hunter Arms, they would show off their "bastard" shotguns--would build them one-piece-at-a-time, mismatched stocks and such--wish I had bought one of those... :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

1892 wrote:My Dad grew up in Fulton, NY where they made the L.C. Smith shotguns (Hunter Arms)....my Grandfather's next-door neighbor was an engraver named Crouse (I think). We have one engraved L.C. Smith in 12 gauge, I think it's called a Crown Grade, could be wrong, haven't seen the gun in years (my Uncle owns it)... I worked in Futon, NY for a number of years and met many who worked at Hunter Arms, they would show off their "bastard" shotguns--would build them one-piece-at-a-time, mismatched stocks and such--wish I had bought one of those... :)
I have three Smith's at the moment . A Quality 2 circa 1890 10 gauge , a Fulton 12 gauge FWT Ideal and a Fulton 12 gauge that was sent to Westley Richards and had the barrels sleaved . Besides the 16 Ideal that should be coming next week I have my eye on àn Ideal grade "Wildfowler" 12 gauge 3" gun .
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Looks like a keeper, would try to talk you out of it if it were a 16ga.
Have an old Parker Trojan in 16ga, built circa 1919 (back when Americans still could build things and took pride in work)
Short chambers, but I will tell you, love it. It isn't pretty, bought it for a song as no one wanted the short chambers. Lucky me. I shoot it very well.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:Looks like a keeper, would try to talk you out of it if it were a 16ga.
Have an old Parker Trojan in 16ga, built circa 1919 (back when Americans still could build things and took pride in work)
Short chambers, but I will tell you, love it. It isn't pretty, bought it for a song as no one wanted the short chambers. Lucky me. I shoot it very well.
A few years back (actually about 20 years ago) I had a nice old 16 gauge Parker Trogan , also had a nice 16 VH with English stock and 30" barrels . Wish I had then both back .
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well done :mrgreen:
That's one dandy little Parker girl.
Awesome investment as well.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika wrote:
Marlin32 wrote:Looks like a keeper, would try to talk you out of it if it were a 16ga.
A few years back (actually about 20 years ago) I had a nice old 16 gauge Parker Trogan , also had a nice 16 VH with English stock and 30" barrels . Wish I had then both back .
Just gotta love the 16 ga.
My favorite anyway 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Just gotta love the 16 ga.
My favorite anyway 8)
I have a circa 1910 Parker GH 16 gauge Damascus gun and a AH Fox 16 gauge A Grade . An LC Smith 16 Ideal would be nice to have to go with these two !
Wouldn't mind a Philly Sterlingworth 16 as well !

I think my favourite at the moment is evenly dispersed between the 10 gauge 2 7/8" guns and the 16's !
I'd add the 28 gauge guns but I cannot afford 28 gauge original Parker's and neither Fox nor Smith made 28's . Well that's not totally true , Smith made ONE 28 gauge gun for a family member and to the best of my knowledge that guns still in the family or the NRA museum I believe .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a little 28 ga H&R just to see what they were like. I love it. If I ever get the feeling I need another shotgun it will be a 28 for sure. A M37 would just be sweet!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:I bought a little 28 ga H&R just to see what they were like. I love it. If I ever get the feeling I need another shotgun it will be a 28 for sure. A M37 would just be sweet!
The president of our local gunclub has a Ithaca 37 28 gauge of recent manufacture . It's a nice little pump all be it a bit pricey he bought it new a couple years ago and I think it cost him about $900 !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just talked with the fellow who owned this gun before we got it . As I said earlier I've known this gun and the man that owned it my entire life , but just now was the first chance I got to talk with him since we got the gun . Anyway he just told me we are the actual third owners of this little Parker . He told me his father bought it from the original owner in about 1958 for $350 and my friend kept it in his college dormitory room while away at school . He was attending a private college not to far from Richmond VA and at that time I think quail were pretty easy to come by .

He said the fellow who sold it to his father had ordered it in the mid to late 20's and when his father bought it from the original owner the gentleman had the original bill of sale ! Wish he still had that but I am afraid he doesn't . Anyway I thought it was kinda neat that we fell inline as the third owners of the little gun .