Public preservation problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Public preservation problems

Post by carbluesnake »

Rjohns thread got me to thinking about scernarios int he public realm. Rifles and any longguns are a problem in this respect. They are unhidable, they can't be concealed. Let me digress. I am not talking about lawful concealment, but the risk they pose in not being concealed. One, the bad guy knows who to take out first. Two, the bad guy sees a valuable comodity, the gun itself, and makes you a target for robbery. Three, if and when a shooting goes down, when the cops or other CCW guys come on the scene and see you, some guy with a gun, who do you think they are going to draw their guns on? These second responders are going to be jacked up on adrenaline, the first person they see that comes close to looking like a threat stands a good possibility of being the friendly fire casualty. If you have to employ deadly force in the public realm, you had better have a weapon that can be concealed, and remember to conceal it, because if you don't, you may be one that gets lit up.
I carry a 1911 with extra mag; that's 17 rounds. Behind the seat of my vehicle is a good place to carry an emergency bag that contains tourniquets (2), strobe lights, and an extra loaded gun with several more mags. If your first gun breaks down on you, you have your backup with you. That should give you if you are a 45 guy another 25 more rounds, making 42 rounds total. And don't think that a gun won't break down on you when the feathers hit the fan. It can and it will. The go bag should have a strap that enables you to throw it over your shoulder or neck and shoulder and be good to go. Just thinking guys.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Public preservation problems

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I would always have a long gun if it is practical.

We carry pistols because it is not always practical to carry a long gun (actually, it is usually not practical for most). But, where it is practical, I will have a long gun.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think it was Clint Smith that said, you carry a handgun so you can fight your way to your long gun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I used to be limited to a 6-shot revolver, AND no more than 2 speed-i-loaders. And, only .38Spl +P... not exactly the nation's powerhouse. That was all I was allowed to carry on my person... But on the front seat next to me was my "posse-box"... a salesman satchel full of all my needed forms and reference materials. It also contained a fully loaded, full-size 1911 with 10 extra, loaded magazines. Used to get teased a lot... until someone wanted backup!

Think about this: you get a radio call... "man with gun, firing shots, witnesses claim it's a Garand... check and advise." Oh yeah, it's 10pm and in an area without streetlights... residential, lots of hidey places. What do you want with you?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

carbluesnake wrote:. . . If you have to employ deadly force in the public realm, you had better have a weapon that can be concealed, and remember to conceal it, because if you don't, you may be one that gets lit up . . .
I know many trainers stress the idea of speed-reholstering, getting the pistol put away and concealed as soon as you finish using it.

I am opposed to this kind of training, for several reasons. First, for shooters with pistols sun as Glocks, trying to quickly cram the pistol back into the holster under stress on the range is a recipe for slamming a round through the thigh, and it happens too often in this type of training. Not as likely with a pistol that has a manual safety or a double action pistol with the correct technique, but still possible.

Second, you fight the way you train. If you watch people who train this way, even if they train to do a quick glance-around, their focus is on getting the pistol back into the holster. This means that in a fight, even if there are multiple threats, they may reholster after shooting the first threat, or likely miss seeing a second threat because of the focus on reholstering. If a pistol comes out, it should stay out until all threats are dealt with. If you have time to reholster after everything calms down, and you know all threats are eliminated, fine. Otherwise, the pistol can go right down on the ground as law enforcement shows up. The most important thing is to be aware of the situation so that you can react correctly as soon as LE arrives - you don't want either yourself or the officers to have any surprises.

When LE shows up, the key is being non-threatening and communicating immediately. You will be treated as a criminal suspect until they get things sorted out, which might take a while.
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Clint Smith is exactly right. A pistol, any kind of pistol, is a poor piece of equipment to stop a dangerous animal. HOWEVER, there are other factors to consider. Carry a rifle in your car; good idea. But if you were trying to get from point A to point B on foot, then the pistol is a good choice. If all order broke down and there is no law enforcement anywhere, then a rifle makes sense. BUT, in the world we live, especially when order breaks down and police are still around, an unconcealable weapon can get you killed. Talk to the law that is on the street and they will tell you the same thing.
As for quick reholstering, I know of no one who teaches street defense that teaches a quick reholster. They will tell you to clear the threat, MAKE SURE there are no other threats around, and then, and only then, reholster. IPSC is where you will see quick reholstering.