Marlin 338 Marlin Express production answer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 338 Marlin Express production answer

Post by quietman »

Because of an argument at Marlin Owners caused by bad info an individual got from a Marlin customer service rep, I posted a snarky message on Marlin's Facebook page. They actually replied. Thought some people here might be interested. Included the date and time from my desktop as a reference

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 338 Marlin Express production answer

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I own one of each .308MX and .338MX and like both. I have no plans to sell either. :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I "had" and I reiterate "HAD" a 308 MX , 308 MXLR , 338 MX and 338 MXLR . I kinda wish I ahd them all back so I could sell them again !

Got them all the year each cartridge came out . Killed a couple deer with factory loads in the 308MXLR but never did with the 308 MX before it left me .

The 338's shot well enough for their intended purpose atleast in my mind . But they were no where near as accurate as the 308's . But let me say this , even though I had dies for both cartridges I never loaded for either and sold the dies NIB . The 308's shot factory 3 at 100 yards in 3/4" . The two 338's only did about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 . Wish I had kept the 338's long enough to kill a deer with one of them , but after the accuracy I got with the 308's and factory ammo against what the 338's were doing just kinda killed it for me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The big question is what will the quality be on the new ones?
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I am hoping the crank some out too, I may rebarrel or rebore it to neck up the cartridge to 348 or 358
Don't want to use the one I have, had Mic McPherson do some work on it and is a real shooter. BUT...

Good bullets still allude this cartridge.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I am hoping the crank some out too, I may rebarrel or rebore it to neck up the cartridge to 348 or 358
Don't want to use the one I have, had Mic McPherson do some work on it and is a real shooter. BUT...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:I am hoping the crank some out too, I may rebarrel or rebore it to neck up the cartridge to 348 or 358

I had a two cavity mold Lyman made a number of years ago for the 33 WCF , think the number was 338320 . Anyway it shot nicely in the 33 WCF I had and I suspect it woulda done okay in the 338 Express .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 338 seemed like an interesting cartridge filling a niche I'd not seen elsewhere in leverguns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "