Feds Raid Henry Repeating Arms Factory

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Feds Raid Henry Repeating Arms Factory

Post by Pete44ru »

Federal Agents of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service raided the factory and offices of Henry Repeating Arms (NJ) on Wednesday, seizing wood pallets, electronic files and rifles

Federal authorities are apparently investigating Henry for the alleged importation and use of illegal wood.

The Wall Street Journal reported this morning on this highly “aggressive enforcement of overly broad laws to make the company cry uncle.” The Journal reports that the raid this past Wednesday was not the first time that agents of Fish and Wildlife came after Henry.

Henry is already fighting a federal lawsuit that stemmed from a 2009 federal raid, but this raid seems to have upped the stakes. As the Journal described the ongoing case:

“The question in the first raid seemed to be whether Henry had been buying illegally harvested hardwoods from protected forests, such as the Madagascar ebony that makes for such lovely rifles… but with the new raid, the government seems to be questioning whether some wood sourced from India met every regulatory jot and tittle.”

The real issue here seems to be the bureaucratic minutia of federal environmental regulations that increasingly pervade all aspects of American life. Environmental regulations cover your home and your business. To lay out the over-regulation in this case, the Journal quoted John Thomas, a law professor at Quinnipiac University, who described the enormous burden of proof on rifle owners to show they aren’t carrying endangered wood:

“It’s not enough to know that the body of your old rifle is made of walnut and maple: What’s the stock made of? If it’s ebony, do you have the paperwork to show when and where that wood was harvested and when and where it was made into a stock? Even if you have no knowledge—despite Herculean efforts to obtain it—that some piece of your rifle, no matter how small, was obtained illegally, you lose your rifle forever.”

Certainly, the dedication of federal resources for the harassment of a private rifle producer reinforces already negative perceptions about the Obama administration’s hyper-regulatory environment.

" APRIL FOOL " ! !............ :mrgreen:

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Feds Raid Henry Repeating Arms Factory

Post by pshort »

You really got me on that one ! Glad it's an April thing.......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

did you guys try the new bacon and gravy diet? Sheds pounds.
http://quaap.com/health/gravy/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: @@%#!!! Yep, you got me. I was ready to throw a fit...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not so far fetched.

Isn't this exactly what happened to Gibson Guitar?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Yes, I was thinking "Gibson" while reading it.....
That would be something if they did a no-knock and killed folks while confiscating the wood from a Henry !!!!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Sheeeesh! You got me on that one! A regular Orson Wells broadcast. Almost ruined my morning.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I was wondering who would want such a heavy rifle stock in the first place :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jerk

I can honestly say I was madder than heck when I read that. Even though I don't own any Henry guns, I was very happy that an American gun manufacturer "made it" in this country with all of the stiff competition from overseas.

The more I read the hotter I got.

It's been several hours and I'm happy again :D ----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Honestly? That would not have surprised me one little bit.... :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Did y'all hear they are bringing out a 357 Max on a modified Marlin 1894 action :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Boy ,I bit on that one. Not to far out of realm possibility with the morons in Washington, IMHO !!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Not so far fetched at all. Under modern changes to the Lacey act, it is very easy for people to get nailed even if they attempt to do everything right. There are provisions that allow the federal government to bring charges for certain things that might not be illegal, but violate laws in other countries or states.

One example is the woman who received a federal felony conviction because her supplier sent her frozen lobsters packed in poly bags. In the country of origin, there was a regulation that said lobsters could not be packed in poly bags. The country of origin did not care, but the Feds investigated and charged her.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Now I need to relax after that now. LOL

Owen
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread. It took awhile to remove the hook!!! good one.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I received an e-mail from Numerich Gun parts that said they were moving out of New York. I opened it and it said April Fools we are not moving.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

mikld wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted: @@%#!!! Yep, you got me. I was ready to throw a fit...
I already was. :o

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Dag nabit, Stop that. That's two threads I bit on in a row. :lol:
Click Click Boom
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Steaming stuff!Now I have to stop my head from spinning,get my heart beat back to normal and not go into the Frank Marshall Davis Jr ( Obama ) tirade that was going to bilge forth!