45 +P in M94 Winchester?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

45 +P in M94 Winchester?

Post by BAGTIC »

Should it be safe to fire 45 +P loads in a modern M94 Winchester? I have two, a Trapper and a Legacy, and it would be nice to be able to use the same ammo..
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: 45 +P in M94 Winchester?

Post by Pisgah »

BAGTIC wrote:Should it be safe to fire 45 +P loads in a modern M94 Winchester? I have two, a Trapper and a Legacy, and it would be nice to be able to use the same ammo..
Yes.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yes but the trapper will thump ya. :D Cant say how many Corbon 300gr +P's mine has digested over the years
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 94AE Win in .45 Colt will take any loads that fall within the Ruger - T/C load level category. As JReed said, you're shoulder will beg for mercy before the Trapper gets done with you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The 45 colt trapper I had wouldn't shoot anything worth a darn but HOT 300gr loads. I wouldn't post the loads if I could find them. lol The only worry was the huge chamber.
Slow is just slow.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I think the best heavy .45 Colt 300gr bullet loads can be found in the old Hodgdons #26 manual. Long out of print but worth the price.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

If you want an education on what the 45 Colt will do in a rifle, go here: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm

Paco knows what he's talking about.

Cat
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Here is Paco's article on this rifle combo. He discusses the 94 as well as the Marlin and 92.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm

Please heed his warnings but it does discuss this rifle and loads directly. He lists the 92 as stronger than the 94 in his writing. So if it is hot and listed as a 92 load I sure would not use it anywhere other than a modern steel tight 92 (actually I find his 32,000 CUP range stout enough, 300 grains at 1700 fps is dg medicine within fighting range. He lists a 300 grain load for a 92 that I wouldn't stoke my 444 to the velocity listed. However his methods are scientific and from real world testing. I would add as a 444 owner for decades a 260 grain cast bullet is no light weight and at 32,000 CUP and 1900 fps represents overkill for deer and adequate for Buicks!!!! A 6.5 pound rifle and a hard butt plate will get your attention.

As a bonafide bigbore lever user I became a good shot with a hard kicking rifle. I learned that practice and reloading sensible practice ammo made me the wonder of the wannabe no flinch crowd.

Edit: Catshooter pulled the trigger a little quicker than me on the link!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

If one reads Paco, it becomes obvious he was no stranger to recoil! :) But then you get what you pay for, don't you.

In my 94 I found that twenty grains of 2400 gave me what I wanted whether it was a 250 or 300 grain bullet.

Cat
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Catshooter wrote:If one reads Paco, it becomes obvious he was no stranger to recoil! :) But then you get what you pay for, don't you.

In my 94 I found that twenty grains of 2400 gave me what I wanted whether it was a 250 or 300 grain bullet.

Cat
Yes, in my Ruger Bisley, I've settled on about 19 grains of AA #9 - which has a similar burn rate to 2400 I think. Definitely warm enough, but noticeably less scary than the H110 load I tried.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

That was pretty much why I sold my 94 Trapper… it only shot super hot 300gr loads, and that got old real fast in that little BB gun.
Slow is just slow.