POLITICS: George Orwell was a Prophet.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

POLITICS: George Orwell was a Prophet.

Post by Old Ironsights »

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /484869030

D.C. police state

THE WASHINGTON TIMES EDITORIAL
April 10, 2008

Big brother is coming to the District of Columbia. As The Washington Times reported yesterday, city officials are handing D.C. Police unprecedented access to a city network of 5,200 traffic, school and public-housing cameras — now to be used for anticrime and antiterrorism purposes in the D.C. Police closed-circuit surveillance system. Presently, D.C. Police operate only 92 crime cameras in addition to several homeland security cameras. This is quite a staggering "repurposing." To stick with the warranted "Big Brother" theme: It makes Winston Smiths of us all. These 61 square miles of city each bear an average of 85.2 cameras among the new prying eyes. Now that's a crime.

We consulted with the Libertarian National Committee's Andrew Davis to get a read on the reaction. As he told us: "In America, people should not be forced to assume that they're being monitored by law enforcement throughout the day." Perhaps being monitored is an inevitable fact of life in the nation's capital. Perhaps not. We believe that crime monitoring can be done without government proceeding so far beyond the original parameters that we now near the point where no simple action engaged in on the street goes unrecorded. The old saying is, "Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile." The District is now taking 61. Soon we'll be mirroring London's infamous "Ring of Steel," Mr. Davis thunders, comparing the District (not unjustifiably) to that "state system of government."

Mayor Adrian Fenty defends the effort as a needed enhancement to surveillance and public-safety capabilities. That it also threatens to make the District perhaps the most thoroughly surveilled, spied-upon city in the nation save perhaps Chicago does not seem to warrant much attention in his view. Can we not combat crime without turning city residents into lieges of the state? There is also the question of whether the network will even do much to combat crime. The crime-camera record is mixed. Any decline in crime in areas surrounding cameras can simply shift into the shadows, where criminal deeds evade police watch. Do we then install cameras inside homes and offices and automobiles?

Of course, toward the end of crime-fighting, we continue to advocate something Mr. Fenty considers anathema. That is an end to the District's repressive and unconstitutional gun ban, now under consideration by the Supreme Court.

Naturally, the District expects that the federal government will subsidize part of the needed $1.7 million for repurposed surveillance. How "nanny-state."

Recall that this system was originally supposed to be "passive." That was the term of art when the first surveillance network was granted through "emergency" legislation. Now, two years later, the emergency is permanent. The system is now "active," creeping ever further into the everyday lives of citizens. :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yes he was... :evil: :(

My favorite Orwell quote: "Pacifists are parasites"!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Old Ironsights thanks for the headsup.I guess it is for the good of the "sheeple." :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Does this mean that I can't carry in DC anymore without being seen..??
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

During the last Democratic convention, the City of Boston installed
lots of "security" cameras, which they said they'd remove after the
festivities.

They are all, of course, still there, and the crime is as bad
as ever.

Sieg Heil, baby! :cry:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've been wanting to re-read that book for a while now.

Oklahoma City has installed quite a few of these cameras down in the bricktown area. (the entertainment district near downtown) There have also been cameras installed along some of the major thoroughfares.

Quietly of course. :evil:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Forget the "wall" on the mehican border.

I want walls around all of these idiot Urban Centers.
:evil:
Then they can ban all the guns/freedom/common sense they want. But then we can prevent the contageon from leaving too. :roll:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ironsights wrote:Forget the "wall" on the mehican border.

I want walls around all of these idiot Urban Centers.
:evil:
Then they can ban all the guns/freedom/common sense they want. But then we can prevent the contageon from leaving too. :roll:
Naw, Remember Raccoon City? The T-Virus got loose and no mater what they did it still got out. They closed the gates to the big wall, and eventually nuked the city, but it didn't stop the contagion.

The only thing that will get rid of that kind of mentality is a total collapse of all government. Those who think right will survive. Those who are sheeple will die. As long as there is a government to "take care" of the sheep, they will never think for themselves.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Orwell was not a prophet. He was just a keen observer of human nature, a student of history, and an intellectual -- something that's even rarer than a prophet!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Pisgah wrote:Orwell was not a prophet. He was just a keen observer of human nature, a student of history, and an intellectual -- something that's even rarer than a prophet!
I consider Ben Stein to be the same.

It's like looking both ways before you cross the street, look into the past and
consider whats going on now and you can pretty much surmise the future. :?
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.