OT - Profiles of Valor (04/04/2008)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Profiles of Valor (04/04/2008)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

From last Friday's (04 April 2008) "Federalist Digest"

PROFILES OF VALOR: NAVY PETTY OFFICER MONSOOR

On 8 April, U.S. Navy Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Monsoor, a SEAL, will become the first sailor and only the third service member overall to receive the Medal of Honor for heroism in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Unfortunately, it was Monsoor's heroism that cost him his life.

In September 2006, Monsoor and a group of SEAL snipers established a rooftop position in southern Ramadi in an effort to take out an insurgent hold. As four armed jihadis came into view, the SEALs opened fire, killing one and wounding another. Mosque loudspeakers urged an insurgent rally and the SEALs soon found themselves under attack, though they stood their ground protecting troops clearing the area below. During the fight, a grenade hit Monsoor in the chest, bouncing to the roof. "Grenade!" he yelled as he jumped onto the grenade. It detonated underneath him and he died about 30 minutes later, though he saved the lives of his three teammates. Lt. Cmdr. Seth Stone, Monsoor's platoon leader, said,
"He made an instantaneous decision to save our teammates. I immediately understood what happened, and tragically it made sense to me in keeping with the man I know, Mike Monsoor."

The official summary of action read that Monsoor "distinguished himself through conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life."

Indeed, he paid the ultimate price for his country and we are both grateful and humbled for his sacrifice.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was in Falujah when that happened. :( bad day at work for us.
Thanks for posting.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Jeremy, gee I don't know what to say, other than I'm so sorry for you, our service members, and especially for Petty Officer Monsoor's family...

What a tragic (yet unselfish and heroic) loss...

"Freedom isn't free" -- why don't people get that???

Even though it happened awhile ago, "prayers up" tonight for all affected by this...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old No7 wrote:Jeremy, gee I don't know what to say, other than I'm so sorry for you, our service members, and especially for Petty Officer Monsoor's family...

What a tragic (yet unselfish and heroic) loss...

"Freedom isn't free" -- why don't people get that???

Even though it happened awhile ago, "prayers up" tonight for all affected by this...

Old No7
The only reason I knew about it is that my unit directs Air Support for things like medivacs, close air support, and cassualty evacs we hear all the bad news from the ground and the air. We knew about the raid from the get go.

I was very happy to hear that he got it. But I hate to see when it is posthumusly.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'll butcher the quote, but it comes to mind... "No greater love hath a man than to lay down his life for another..."
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Godbless our men and women who still answer the call.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."