terrible weather here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

terrible weather here

Post by M. M. Wright »

I woke up this morning to 2 degrees and about 4" of snow on top of an inch of sleet and .15 of ice. No relief until maybe Wednesday when it may warm up some and rain and snow some more. Why do we live here in NE Oklahoma? I'll bet it's warmer in Hamilton Montana.
How is it over in Arkansas Lastmohechan?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: terrible weather here

Post by .45colt »

Sure is Great ain't it? :shock: . it's up to 3* here and the Sun is shining. 8) . that weather that hit Your neck of the woods stayed south of us this time. old man winter just don't want to let Go Yet.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

-20 F here and 10" over the weekend. It is still winter. I'll deal with it. I'm officially ready for spring though.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Dang. It +2 here and feels like a heatwave
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It got to about 15 degrees here and we were being warned about rolling blackouts due to the power usage to try and keep warm.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Here in Independence county in north Arkansaw it was 11 degrees this morning. The freezing rain started yesterday about noon and turned to sleet and snow and continued until about 10 last nite. We have about 4 1/2 inches now with bright sun. Fixing to put on another pot of coffee, took feed and water up to my hens and put out some more corn for the deer plus lots of bird feed.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

sunny and 77 here in florida
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

rimfire,
you really should not do that to these guys.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

It was 17F here when I got up with 5-6" of sleet on the ground covered with a light coat of snow. It's a good day to stay home.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is in the upper 30s now and the ice is melting pretty fast in the sun. I have today off, and after the 2 week run I had, it is a welcome respite.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

Chilly in Phoenix today too, only 74 :mrgreen:
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

JayF in AZ wrote:Chilly in Phoenix today too, only 74 :mrgreen:

Call us in July.
Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I gotta drive up to Springfield, MO Tuesday nite... I'm hopin' your weather improves Mr. Wright!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Mescalero Wrote; "rimfire,
you really should not do that to these guys."........ Not to worry, won't be long and We will have several months of 65-70* weather. it's just astounding how grouchy people turn into little Kid's one the warm weather comes. :D :D :D .
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

+10 this afternoon
-10 tonight

My good friend who lives in Sugar Valley, Pa called me and said he has already used 8 full cords of wood and just put 5 more bucket loader buckets full on his front porch. Usually uses 4-5 full cords all year.
One good thing, I still got about 1 ton of rice coal left meaning I used 2 tons so sure know next year when ordering 3 tons will be enough.

Unless, it will be worse next year? :shock:
Maybe the brain has faded some but I believe this is the worst winter I can ever remember?? All things considered snow/ice/cold etc.
Have relatives that live in Hawaii and they said "move here" :idea: :lol:
Said to them, They got whitetails there to hunt? :lol:
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

8 degrees, wind chill -6 degrees at 7 a.m. this morn. Sunny and 19 degrees at this time. 2" sleet underneath 4" snow.

Strange weather system yesterday when the sleet began. Can't remember ever noting the like in my lifetime: thundersleet! Really heavy thunder, but sleeting like crazy. Like a typical thunderstorm in this neck if the woods, but dropping ice instead of water. WEIRD.

Like others, I'm tired of this really abnormal winter weather. My livestock and canines aren't any happier about it. Haven't seen a bird since day before yesterday. Holed up, or done for, I suppose.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wvfarrier wrote:Dang. It +2 here and feels like a heatwave

The problem here in Oklahoma is the weather on Friday was 70 degrees, then Saturday about 50 ---- yesterday - BAM -10 wind chill and maybe 10 degrees out , its these wild fluctuations and variations that are getting to many of us --- even if we dont have the extremely low temps like some of the folks up in snowmobile country have
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

GoatGuy,
Good to hear from you.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GoatGuy wrote:
Strange weather system yesterday when the sleet began. Can't remember ever noting the like in my lifetime: thundersleet! Really heavy thunder, but sleeting like crazy. Like a typical thunderstorm in this neck if the woods, but dropping ice instead of water. WEIRD.

Yes --- Yesterday for me was the first time i had ever heard the term "thundersleet" - :lol:
----- Doug
JayF in AZ
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JayF in AZ »

cas wrote:
JayF in AZ wrote:Chilly in Phoenix today too, only 74 :mrgreen:

Call us in July.

I can't, the phones will be too hot to use :)
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

This morning in Nashville 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice everywhere and 23 degrees. Road conditions were worse than you'd think. Nashville state government officially closed offices at 1000.
I don't recall offices being officially closed in the last 15 years.

This afternoon - roads are much better - temperatures are not; low teens tonight.
Projected 40s tomorrows and 60 by the weekend :D
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero says - "GoatGuy, Good to hear from you."
Thanks sir, it's good to be here. Haven't been on the site much lately, but do check in on occasion. Holler at me some time.

Now - More thoughts on the winter weather from my prospective. Currently, 20 degrees and sunny here as I type this. Forecast for clear and 13 degrees tonight.

Now then, ...in an earlier life, off and on for total of 14 or so years, I lived in Ruidoso, NM. Ruidoso's a really nice little village and resort community in the mountains of southern NM. Elevation 6-7,000', it's nestled on the east side of the mountains and borders the Mescalero Apache Reservation.
There is a highly popular and top rated ski area owned and operated by the Mescalero Tribe at an elevation of approximately 10,000+ feet on Sierra Blanca Mountain. This is some 12-15 miles, and more than 4,000 feet higher elevation, from the home I had there. Just checked the temperatures for both Ski Apache and Ruidoso. The ski area is showing 52 degrees and Ruidoso is reporting 48 degrees.:shock: Now how the heck can it be fair for the NM mountain temps to be so dang balmy and I'm freezing my backside off here in this "lovely" southern state of Arkansas. The winter weather here this year has been/is freakin' unreal. UNFAIR, I tell ya'.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

GoatGuy,
An old N.M truckers poem:
weather may come and weather may go,
but this is New Mexico........... and that --------- wind is going to blow!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

M. M. Wright wrote:I woke up this morning to 2 degrees and about 4" of snow on top of an inch of sleet and .15 of ice. No relief until maybe Wednesday when it may warm up some and rain and snow some more. Why do we live here in NE Oklahoma? I'll bet it's warmer in Hamilton Montana.
How is it over in Arkansas Lastmohechan?
About the same, this morning, I started early and still ended being late for work. I thawed one of 4 wheel drives out, but when I tried the windshield wipers, they stuck straight up and wouldn't move anymore. I hated to head out with no working windshield wipers. So, I started another rig and finally got on the road, but man it was cold and I my heater was working, but ice was actually forming on the inside of my side windows. I had to scrape ice from the inside while driving down the road, if I wanted see anything out the side windows.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero wrote:GoatGuy,
An old N.M truckers poem:
weather may come and weather may go,
but this is New Mexico........... and that --------- wind is going to blow!
Mescalero - hadn't heard that old truckers poem before, but I know what it means. Lived in Las Cruces for several years. One afternoon the wind actually tore the driver side door off the hinge in my Bronco II when I stopped to get gas and opened the door at a self service station. Liked to have pull my arm off at the socket. Powerful, that NM wind. For dang sure!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not all that cold around here, but, it's been pouring unnatural amounts of rain for some time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Can not believe that anyone would complain about the nice weather they are having....it has now been 53 days with the low for the day being less than 0, 'course that don't count the wind chill factor. But the snow ain't too bad, only have 80" so far this season.

Oh yeah, went 'yote hunting Sunday morning, could not figure out why my fingers had trouble with the lever. Got back to the shack around 9:30 am or so and checked the thermometer, it read -23'F. Next time I'm gonna have to bring gloves!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Can not believe that anyone would complain about the nice weather they are having....it has now been 53 days with the low for the day being less than 0, 'course that don't count the wind chill factor. But the snow ain't too bad, only have 80" so far this season.

Oh yeah, went 'yote hunting Sunday morning, could not figure out why my fingers had trouble with the lever. Got back to the shack around 9:30 am or so and checked the thermometer, it read -23'F. Next time I'm gonna have to bring gloves!

Your nuts to leave the gloves at home , -- but when Northerners say us Okies are thin skinned (not here - i heard that on Facebook though) I remind 'em that the weather this year is not typical for the region

My friends up north have everything from Mickey Mouse boots, to snowmobile suits, plus all the other cold weather gear a man could need

Typical cold weather gear in this part of the country is to maybe layer a sweatshirt in under your Carhart jacket and wear a little heavier pair of boot socks -- maybe even throw on a longshoreman's hat

This year? - there have been days the wind chill was so bad it took half the Under Armour catalog it seemed to keep me warm - (i like the military ECWCS stuff better, but its too thick to get more than a layer on unless you have oversize pants)

There are winters here that i can have 1200 miles in on my bicycle in by March 1 easily - this year its only 478

I bought a pair of Sorel Caribou's (big heavy pac boots with a felt liner) before an iced out football game thinking i may be able to use 'em just once or twice this year -- but they have been in heavy rotation and have already paid for themselves

Today its up to 33 though :D
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Tomorrow night going for tie for "all time record" days below zero.
However I believe when you factor in average temp throughout winter " it will be a record breaker" ??
Nice today at 7am a warm -12

Have not used quite 2 tons of coal this year. The wood cutting deal all this upcoming summer ??? Why? :lol:
You know its clean burning when the little 4" dia 2ft. vent pipe going from stoves top vent through concrete wall has only a tiny bit of dust clinging to insides sides of pipe. About 1/2 cup in total. No chimney cleaning. Sweet.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

I bought a pair of Sorel Caribou's (big heavy pac boots with a felt liner)
Good boots...don't fit well in the modern snow shoes though.

You know it is cold when the smoke from your wood burner goes down instead of up.

Or you are standing in the shower and the water inlet pipe freezes going into the hot water heater behind the shower head. Yes, that would be in the house and a foot away from an outside wall.

It is a bitch to have to heat up the LP tank so you can fire the furnace...that is cold. Thankfully my tank is buried under four feet of snow, that keeps it warm and toasty, around 15'F or so.

Almost forgot the best one, one of my hunting partners left his palm and three fingers worth of skin on the receiver of his 336 Marlin. He is going in for skin grafts this week.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Picture says it all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Here in Wisconsin we do not miss work just because of a few flurries:

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

We had a soccer tournament in Edmonton this weekend, -35C/-31F Saturday morning. We take pride in being winter toughened Canadians but I was dreaming of Hawaii all weekend!

Canadian Arctic has been unusually cold last couple of years. However winter has been doing some serious butt kicking for you southern neighbours! It must be quite a show when real winter hits south of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm always amazed how ill prepared Canadians are with no slippery driving skills and slick summer rubber. I can't picture Atlanta drivers even remotely prepared. It is serious to go spinning off the road into a drift with a gallon or two in your tank at -20!

I love my solid axles TJ and studded snow tires. It lacks comfort and frills but I can hit the bush when an irate logger runs me off the bush road and its tough enough to drive me to the highway and a shop. My wife's Element has the same tires and driving past AWD SUV soccer moms stuck is quite amazing in normal conditions. My mom did much better than them in a rusty Ford in the days before salt and sanding!

Both my girls won gold medals at the tournament!!!!!