You have one firearm to survive what is it?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

You have one firearm to survive what is it?

Post by madman4570 »

I know we have rolled down this hill many times before but being its still winter and the winter blues for a lot of us hasn't left us yet.

It's that time. :D

You have a choice of only one firearm. With this firearm you have an abundance of ammo, let's say 5000 rds.
Only one gun whether it is a pistol or rifle or shotgun.

Which one , what caliber or gauge, what model if known?

I will wait before saying my preference.

To mix it up some more let's say there is a big alien bubble not letting you leave your state which also has had the population decreased by 90% :wink:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: You have one firearm to survive what is it?

Post by jnyork »

What are you trying to survive? War? Starvation? Pestilance? The Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse. ? The beginning of Armagedon? The Bubonic Plaque? An afternoon at home with four teenagers in the house? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jnyork wrote:What are you trying to survive? War? Starvation? Pestilance? The Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse. ? The beginning of Armagedon? The Bubonic Plaque? An afternoon at home with four teenagers in the house? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol:
:lol: :D

After effects of what appears to be some type alien invasion that has reduced the populations by 90%
It appears they have done their deed will not be returning but now you have to deal with all issues that might occur for survival.
Nothing will be able to be imported or exported in or out of your state and things given that fact might get a little hairy.
No more China dealing you USA either :lol:
If you live in NYS you must stay in NYS etc.
Also they took 90% of crops and livestock. And all petro products. :shock:
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Probably a .22WMR, it would take all of the animals in NY with proper shot placement.

I probably wouldn't have to worry much about people, but the .22WMR would be effective on them also.

I would use my Marlin bolt action rifle as the platform for the .22WMR.

Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since we're Sci-Fi'ing it up a little bit, what with 'aliens from outer space', can I have a Sci-Fi gun, like some ray-gun...?

Still hard to go wrong with an M-1A, if you're allowed to have some 'squib' loads for single-shot use.
OTOH, a 30-30 would do all but the really-high-volume stuff better, and making reloads is easier.
A Ruger 10/22 would be dandy, but the usual 'tradeoff' is that you can have LOTS more ammo for a given space or weight.

Maybe we should propose one where you can have "25 pounds of firearms/ammo/gun-gear", and see how THAT one goes... 8)

Doubt I'd pick a shotgun or handgun, if "only one gun", in your proposed scenario.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I had 5000 30WCF bullets to load, I'd say 30WCF. As it is, I prolly have about 10,000 .22 shells set aside, and I don't feel burdened by .22.....ergo sum 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

If I could only have one firearm for all purposes, I would want a reliable accurate .22 rifle.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

This is always the toughest question to answer, and there are a million scenarios....which is why I have more than one gun now :wink: . I don't think anyone can ever go wrong choosing a .22 LR, but I think I would have to go with my AR-15. It's a bit more versatile with bigger game, and makes a much more suitable self defense rifle.

On the other hand, I think a Springfield SOCOM 16 would be a pretty dandy survival gun as well.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mini mauser in 6.5 Grendel.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My choice would be a Vierling, with a .22Hornet bbl over two 20ga SXS bbls, and a .30-30 bbl underneath.

Image Image

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

AJMD429 wrote:Since we're Sci-Fi'ing it up a little bit, what with 'aliens from outer space', can I have a Sci-Fi gun, like some ray-gun...?
Sure but it can't be silent, and the butt should be heavy enough to pound stakes in a palisade. :D
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I'll stick with guns I own.

#1, The gun I actually have the ammo for. My little 9422 with a pile of ammo makes the most sense for non combative survival. My Winoku 92 in 32-20 or 94 in 32 Special if there is a combative aspect. I'd want to hook up with a few like minded decent folk who could cover some of the other bases for firearms.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

madman4570 wrote:Only one gun whether it is a pistol or rifle or shotgun.
Let's say it's a cheap broken .22 relover that only fires from the one cylidner it's stuck on.

It's primary use would be to enable me to use it to get something better.

Then I'd have that, and something better.

To heck with "one gun".

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

12 ga, 'cause I can't afford to pee-off the bears
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I'm close with Pete. A double 20 with shot and ball and I'm ready for anything. Easy enough to go from shot and shot to ball an ball for squirrel to bear and everything in between.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I could do a lot with a Volquartsen Fusion take-down rifle, a good suppressor, a 20 round mag, and a 1.5x scope. https://www.volquartsen.com/products/10 ... down-rifle
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

AJMD429 wrote:Since we're Sci-Fi'ing it up a little bit, what with 'aliens from outer space', can I have a Sci-Fi gun, like some ray-gun...?
How about a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range? :lol:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

This is totally location and resources dependent. Here, I would want two, minimum, any way I look at it.

But my needs are going to be different than the guy in NYC.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The shotgun thing won't work for us in the southwest.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pete beat me to it... except:

The original scenerio inincludes 5K rounds. Great... but rather than spread those rounds out across multiple calibers in the Vierling, my Vierling would be double flint 16ga smooth bore with a .30-06 above and .45 Underhammer below...

Or maybe I'll just stick with my G3 and build a couple of underhammer trade guns... yeah, that's the ticket...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

22lr. Rifle, probably a 10/22 takedown, silenced.

Second choice, maybe first, brockman marlin 45-70, with takedown conversion, 18 inch barrel, with QR scope mount.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Being more realistic, I really like my Marlin 336Y.. Handiest rifle I've ever had...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mescalero wrote:The shotgun thing won't work for us in the southwest.
check out the video and then explain why it doesn't work in the SW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3rfYnfp ... =fvwp&NR=1

that's cylinder bore, smooth bore, ranged in and performing just fine with a 420+gr slug.

and it can be loaded to do whatever a .22 can do as well...

just sayin'

Grizz
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I'd carry my Weatherby Mark XXII, 22 auto. I could eat well on what it will kill.

Oh by the way hi guys, sorry I've been over on the snowmobile sites for the winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A Remington 870 Wingmaster, ventrib barrel with screw in chokes, and a 20" slug barrel. when I was in My early 20's and didn't know any better I held a AA average in trap and skeet, killed all kind of small game and Deer with the same 870 Field Gun. never let Me down.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Iff'n I'm not dealing with aliens anymore. My 94/22 will do. :D

Byron
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

arjunky wrote:Iff'n I'm not dealing with aliens anymore. My 94/22 will do. :D

Byron
here's the alien:
alien.jpg
.22 seems a little iffy to me

Grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

This perpetually recurring thread always devolves into a fantasy wish list of ever more rare, expensive or bazaar firearms.
I will play one more time.

In a kill it and eat it wilderness survival situation or, for an honest back woodsman living off the land, a center fire rifle might be nice to have but it is the last fire arm anyone needs and the least useful.

To keep your belly healthy, the first the items to consider are fish hooks and line, steel traps and maybe snare wire.
These can feed you while you do other necessary things like, build shelter, gather fire wood, etc.

For small game and dispatching trapped animals, a .22 fire arm or air gun will do. Both would be better.

For legally taking waterfowl and for any large game or self protection a shotgun of any gauge or action type will do.

As for zombies, aliens, or invading enemies, use what they are using.
To paraphrase a famous movie line, "if I need an M-16" any weapon I have will get me one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

madman4570 wrote:To mix it up some more let's say there is a big alien bubble not letting you leave your state which also has had the population decreased by 90% :wink:
If 90% of the population of Texas is gone... do you really think for ONE COTTON-PICKIN' SECOND that I'd only have ONE gun! 'Cause for cotton-pickin' sure as the sun rises in the East, I KNOW that ain't true!

ARE YOU NUTS?? I'd have more guns and ammo that I could possibly use up during the rest of my natural lifetime!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rjohns94 wrote:22lr. Rifle, probably a 10/22 takedown, silenced.
Ya mean like one of these . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgLm7rSg5JA. . . 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like the integral suppressor, but I would want front and rear sights in addition to a red dot scope
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

765x53 wrote:This perpetually recurring thread always devolves into a fantasy wish list of ever more rare, expensive or bazaar firearms.
And the sad reality is that almost every 'scenario' ultimately evolves into one where the primary potential recipients of bullets are fellow humans. Long gone are the days where one could just head 'to the woods' and live off the land any length of time, except for those who could make it to VERY remote areas, and even then, before long, they'd have "company" in the form of other arriving people, many of whom would find it easier to steal food and water and tools and sex and whatever else they wanted, vs. 'live off the land'. So, whereas one might consider a flintlock rifle from the standpoint that theoretically one could make his own powder and projectiles for 'years to come', that might be what would be useful for a month or so, but unless the human population were thinned at least 90% by whatever calamity happened, before long a battle-rifle of some sort would be a desired commodity. Of course the real tough-guy survivors could manage to pop some gang-member in the noggin and acquire his battle rifle, but if there's a dozen of them armed with AR-15's or M-1A's, and you have to use your flinter to get one of those firearms from them, it might not go as well as if you already had an AR-15, and just wanted another...

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I would pick a Browning 1892 carbine in .357 Mag. with an aperture rear sight and a Beech front sight with aperture and blade. I would also want the gun to include a proper sling and a small kit of tools for cleaning and maintenance, with spare firing pin, extractor and springs. The buttstock would be fitted with a thin rubber buttplate.
The caliber is versatile and some of the 5K rounds could be dismantled and reduced in power for small game with simple hand tools.
The '92 carbine is compact and light enough to carry or keep close while working, traveling or resting.

Jack
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I think I could make do with a 71, set up with bases on the barrel with detachable rings. 22" barrel, straight grip stock. OK, full magazine, nice wood, checkered. Good irons. No big front ramp....Guess that would actually just be an 86 short rifle in 348 cal. I can go with that.

Would be fine for large stuff in my neighborhood, and with light loads for other things down to grouse.

Do we get reloading supplies? 5K rounds can make an awful of of reloads.

Could maybe do with a big bore 94 in 356 also. Leupold 2-7. A few other modifications.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

FN - FAL or HK 91 (these 2 are almost interchangeable to me -- same caliber, similar weight, capacity , etc.) --

Nostalgia is the only reason anyone would pick anything else
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Streetstar wrote:FN - FAL or HK 91 (these 2 are almost interchangeable to me -- same caliber, similar weight, capacity , etc.) --

Nostalgia is the only reason anyone would pick anything else
Maybe not. With a decent supply of CB Longs, or other quiet rounds you will be able to snipe a little better than letting off a shot that will be heard a mile away. I can sneak into the back part of Ft Lewis unseen, but, I don't want the MPs to hear me poaching deer way over yonder. If this is not a survival thread, forget I said that :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

9422M
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

A more realistic scenario is that your one of the 10% left. You have been away from home about 500 miles. You don't know the well being of your family. You have to walk to your home as the aliens screwed with the magnetic fields of the earth and electricity does not work. Even coil/spark plugs/batteries. Diesels have electric fuel pumps. You might find an hand crank diesel tractor :lol: You would have to drive during the day (no lights, remember juice don't work no more)

So you go to a gun store and figure out what gun/ammo you need to steal (is it still stealing?) and find you a horse and some food and camping supplies somewhere. Heck might as well find you a mule to carry all your stuff, but remember only 1 gun!

Now your off!

Bob
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Griff wrote:
madman4570 wrote:To mix it up some more let's say there is a big alien bubble not letting you leave your state which also has had the population decreased by 90% :wink:
If 90% of the population of Texas is gone... do you really think for ONE COTTON-PICKIN' SECOND that I'd only have ONE gun! 'Cause for cotton-pickin' sure as the sun rises in the East, I KNOW that ain't true!

ARE YOU NUTS?? I'd have more guns and ammo that I could possibly use up during the rest of my natural lifetime!
:lol: :D

Yes, I am nuts! :lol:

But, those darn aliens must have put a hex on the remaining 10% left.
You try and grab another weapon and as soon as it is touched it turns to dust.
Only one gun, 5000rds of ammo for that gun, and 90% of the people are gone,all the petro anything is gone, livestock and crops have been reduced to only 10% remaining
This means no gas, oil etc. it even vanished from vehicles gas tanks.
Remember now you must remain in your state.
The food supply in stores much is going bad because people have panicked and all stores during this time are closed, the main operating activities of day to day has been disrupted and people are wandering aimlessly thinking its the end of days.

In Texas Ted Nugent survived and is heading up the gathering of people to see what needs doing.
Here in NYS the aliens who grabbed poor Mr. Como got him halfway to wherever they took the other 90% of those left, but Thank God they stopped transport in mid stream and quickly sent him back. :?:
At present least in NYS the legal structure within the state is dismal not operating and its everybody on their own.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

jhrosier wrote:I would pick a Browning 1892 carbine in .357 Mag. with an aperture rear sight and a Beech front sight with aperture and blade. I would also want the gun to include a proper sling and a small kit of tools for cleaning and maintenance, with spare firing pin, extractor and springs. The buttstock would be fitted with a thin rubber buttplate.
The caliber is versatile and some of the 5K rounds could be dismantled and reduced in power for small game with simple hand tools.
The '92 carbine is compact and light enough to carry or keep close while working, traveling or resting.

Jack
Same idea, but a Marlin 1894C.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bob Hatfield wrote:A more realistic scenario is that your one of the 10% left. You have been away from home about 500 miles. You don't know the well being of your family. You have to walk to your home as the aliens screwed with the magnetic fields of the earth and electricity does not work. Even coil/spark plugs/batteries. Diesels have electric fuel pumps. You might find an hand crank diesel tractor :lol: You would have to drive during the day (no lights, remember juice don't work no more).
How can you get 'more realistic' than madman4570...??? :lol:
madman4570 wrote:To mix it up some more let's say there is a big alien bubble not letting you leave your state which also has had the population decreased by 90% :wink...

...But, those darn aliens must have put a hex on the remaining 10% left.
You try and grab another weapon and as soon as it is touched it turns to dust.
Only one gun, 5000rds of ammo for that gun, and 90% of the people are gone,all the petro anything is gone, livestock and crops have been reduced to only 10% remaining
This means no gas, oil etc. it even vanished from vehicles gas tanks.
I'm just glad Ted Nugent survived...

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

madman4570 wrote:...At present least in NYS the legal structure within the state is dismal not operating and its everybody on their own.
Sounds like just any normal day. :lol:

Jack
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm always worrying about Alien invasions or Zombie attacks but living in the nearly gun free zone called England I have to make do with some pretty tame weapons :oops: I guess my 9422 would work on Zombies and Squirrels but Aliens and Red Deer may require my 12gauge pump.
Being a sporting kind of a guy I might just rely on my Cooey.410, just to make things more difficult..... :lol:
Last edited by gamekeeper on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I have no definite answer for this and several possibilities.

My Browning A-Bolt , 22 mag RF and it's scope with illuminated red dot. Still have black dot reticule if battery goes bad. 22 rim-fire would allow for carrying lots of ammo.

My Browning A-Bolt, 243 Winchester and 6-24x scope. Reasoning here is when desperate for meat/food long shots are often all you get and having a gun that can reach out there, accurately, is mighty important! Too this ammo would not be as heavy as the larger calibers.

I also like the 22 LR with a silencer idea.

Returned to edit. My A-Bolts would not qualify. No 'backup' iron sights on them.

Must haves:

Reliability--Scope/Accuracy--Lots of ammo--iron sights if scope goes bad.

Don
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Ruger 77/357 for me. Hard cast magnum and some 38 wad cutters. Should take care of fluffy things, small and large.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Well since I can't leave the state and 90% of the population is gone, I think I'd go for a 12 ga. pump gun with a variety of ammo.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Been giving this a lot of thought this morning and while I don't own one (yet) I can't see a better all purpose weapon then a good semi-auto shotgun that can shoot various loads like a Winchester SX3, Remington Versa-Max or Beretta A400 XPLOR, preferably with an extended mag tube to hold more shells. We have lots of deer, small birds, wild turkey, boar and grey squirrels here with reportedly some bears in some of our mountains. Such a shotgun would do all the above and be devastating for social work if the need arose. And if you found some 12 gauge shells of almost any kind it would shoot them. -A-
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

If I had to rely on just one it would be a single shot shotgun preferably in 20GA and modified choke. The reason I say 20GA is I used to have a H&R 12GA Pardner, and the recoil from that thing with anything other than 1oz loads was down right awful. Contrary to what some folks would lead others to believe the 20GA is no slouch and there are a lot of great loads on the market for it. Being smaller than the 12GA it would allow one to carry more ammo for the same weight than would a 12GA if that were needed.

I picked the single over the others due to ease of maintenance, durability, and versatility. The versatility of the sigle shot can't be beat if you have some of these http://www.gunadapters.com/20-gauge-to- ... rd-length/

http://www.gunadapters.com/20-gauge-to- ... adapter-1/

With this type of setup you would be covered for everything. I don't know what the situation is in other parts of the country, but here good luck finding any .22LR, .38/.357, and .44 magnum. On the other hand shotgun ammo in either 20GA or 12GA is very plentiful.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's the funny thing/truth...

If I never had to worry about well armed foes, my choice would be....

A Ruger Old Army with spare cylinder or two.

What I have is an 1858 with 3 cylinders and the capability to make caps, powder & bullets.

Add to that the ability to make smoothbore "trade guns" that excel in survival circumstances and I'm probably OK... even without 100+yd shot capability...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Most of those 5,000 rounds would be reduced loads, for obvious reasons.

I'd hate not having a handgun though.

Cat