Uberti 1873 clones in 44 Magnum ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Uberti 1873 clones in 44 Magnum ???

Post by southfork »

While I was at the local gun store last week, a sales rep from Uberti delivered some of their newest 1873 Winchester clones, and some were chambered in 44 magnum! I couldn't believe it! For my original, vintage Winchester 1873 in 44 WCF, I'm always being told to fire nothing but black powder loads in it, because of the weak toggle-link action, etc. etc. How can a modern Uberti handle 44 Magnum loads with the same toggle-link action? :?:
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Uberti 1873 clones in 44 Magnum ???

Post by junkbug »

This question has been asked here before, and there is seldom a consensus. Obviously, these replicas have to be strong enough to handle standard .357 mag and .44 mag proof loads, or they could not be exported. The big question is on how many rounds these guns will hold up to, even with special loads. Perhaps the makers of these rifles are banking on the assumption most buyers will only shoot these moderately, at least with full power ammo.

To be honest, I am giving real consideration to buying a Winchester/Miroku 1873 in .357 Mag. I know it won't hold up to a huge diet of mag ammo, but neither will my budget. I would be using it primarily with lower powered cast reloads.

Looking forward to hearing the experience of others.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

southfork wrote:While I was at the local gun store last week, a sales rep from Uberti delivered some of their newest 1873 Winchester clones, and some were chambered in 44 magnum! I couldn't believe it! For my original, vintage Winchester 1873 in 44 WCF, I'm always being told to fire nothing but black powder loads in it, because of the weak toggle-link action, etc. etc. How can a modern Uberti handle 44 Magnum loads with the same toggle-link action? :?:
Actually, in an original, it ain't the toggle links, but rather the steel that it could be made of that would hinder me from shooting any but BP loads.

Hopefully, all I can say is that I hope these new Uberti 1873s in 44Mag have tighter chambers than my 45Colt... I suspect they are relying on case tension to overcome any bolt thrust.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They will be just fine :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Italian firearms are proofed to more stringent standards than even US-made guns.. If Beretta/Uberti certifies these '73s for .44 magnum ammunition, they should be good for any SAAMI-standard load, and for a lifetime of shooting the same..

Don't remain mired in 19th Century folklore.. Metallurgy and manufacturing have both come a long way since 1880..

FWIW, a number of 73s, 66s and 76s have been found, still being used with only one toggle-link in place
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have High Respect for what Buck has to say bout anything Gun related. but for me personally if I wanted to shoot a steady diet of .44mag it would have to be from a 92 platform. the '73 Uberti .45 I had was a work of Art and I couldn't bring Myself to shoot anything over standard loads. I hope to get another '73 in 44-40 or 38-40 to shoot only Holy Black thru just for sheer Fun. :D .
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I sure hope the Uberti's are up the to the task, which I think they are. I finally jumped in this last week and put a brand new Uberti 1873 short rifle (20 inch octagonal barrel and straight grip, smooth wood) in .357 mag on lay away. I could have bought it outright easy enough but I think I will drag it out a little bit, and maybe sell some stuff I don't really need or use much, anymore. This particular specimen has a really smooth action and great trigger pull, and that finally sold me, as some I have handled were not nearly as smooth and had hard triggers.

On the 44 mags, I have never seen one, except in a catalog. But after thinking about it, I would surly be tempted if I ever did run across one.
NRA Life Member, Patron
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i have had an 1873 uberti rifle in 357 for well over 20 years, and its been great; i even shoot the factory 180 grainers in it occasionally and it lays them in tight at 100 yds..

i have the uberti 44 mag, but have just shot it a little so far, and with factory 240 gr loads. seems fine and like the 357 is just a beautifully made and fitted lever gun.
cable